Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
telloa

I can’t figure out my living room...

Ash T
5 years ago
I can’t seem to figure out my living room. I am not sure why. I think the colors are throwing me off. Everything is warm so I think I need to add cool but I am. It sure how to do that. I need new couches, rug but have no idea what color. I love neutrals and natural feel. I also need window treatments but have no clue where to even start. Also, back wall is blank and I don’t know what to do with it bc of awkward focal point and layout.I wish I could have white sofas but that’s impossible bc I have small kids. Please help me with my awkward living room! Thank you!

Comments (28)

• Ash T
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Another photo
  • Ash T
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    ^^^ this is exactly how the room was before I moved it around. Previous owners also had it that way. It seemed awkward against the big wall and I had to get the tv up so my kids wouldn’t knock it over. Thank you for the suggestion!!
  • User
    5 years ago

I don’t have much time at the moment, I don’t think the positioning of the furniture takes the utmost advantage of the space. You only need some small additions of accessories to pull the room together.

I’m not an interior decorator, but I do have an eye as many people have told me. I always assume that most people, like myself, would prefer not to spend a lot of money on changing the overall design. I believe your furniture can work with some minor tweaks. My advice, play with the furniture, move it into several positions, I do believe you’ll find the right one, you’ll “feel it”!

Good Luck & have faith in your abilities.

• User
    5 years ago

I think you are off to a great start! The foundation is all there. What I would do is find some art that has some color that you can pull from in order to add more interest to the space.

• kulrn
    5 years ago

Your house is similar to my old one except my fp was opposite. I really think you need to try what was suggested above, but get a longer tv console. Window treatments, art and a coffee table could bring it all together.

My Home Pics · More Info

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    5 years ago

What would help me is if you would take a photo or two just of the space UNDER the tray ceiling. Thanks.

• k9arlene
    5 years ago

i agree with relocating the tv. There are straps you attach to the tv and wall behind it to prevent kids from knocking it over.

• Cheryl Smith
    5 years ago

You really have a great start and nothing you can't pull together. I actually like the way you have the room set up now because of following the angle of both the fireplace and peninsula. but it all seems a little too close to the fireplace. If you pull everything out so that you can also walk around the love seat I lthink it would look less cramped. without having a picture showing the area behind the couch that shows the back side of the peninsula, it also seems to me too much dead space behind the couch. Adding a sofa table would help with that but I would like to see you move the rug from the dining area to the living room mainly for a size comparison. In the pictures it seems a little large for the dining room but to me looks like a perfect size for the living room. Keep the angle of the fireplace if you do try it there. Is it square? Could you take more pictures from the fireplace to the other areas of the room? It would help

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

I also would move the TV off the mantel and onto the wall, but assuming you want to leave it this way, I don't think you need new furniture, but I would add curtains and art.

The little console behind the sofas feels a bit lost, The lamps are definitely too puny and it will have more interest if you aim for balance instead of symmetry, Same thing on the mantel, I would remove the greenery and leave it bare. Save your decor for the big empty wall instead.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I see now what I thought were puny lamps are candlesticks. They're still puny. You could replace them with a lamp on one side, or some enormous candlesticks like I show here. Looks like you might actually need a lamp though,

• Ash T
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    JudyG:
    Here is a picture I attempted to take of everything under the tray. It includes the living area and the dining area:
  • Ash T
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Cheryl Smith:

These are the views standing from my fireplace:
  • Ash T
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you for all the input! Very helpful. Unfortunately I think my TV is stuck there. I actually had my living room configured as mentioned above and then I spent about $500 installing an outlet above the fireplace so I could get my tv up there. I wish I knew about Houzz before I did that. The visual with the photos on the back wall is great! Thank you!
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

Ash, overall I think you've done a good job in these rooms. They just need a bit more life. You've got the perfect wall for art that could make a knockout statement here. Also, eschew symmetry in place of balance for a more interesting look.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Don't be afraid to go bold and modern with art. Here I've hung graphics in black and white with a bit of yellow in simple metal frames, then added a couple of yellow pillows to the couches.

I've grouped your candles, added a large lamp and bowl on your console in an asymmetrical arrangement. You have a big room with big walls, so watch your scale. You need big stuff and stuff that's a bit more unique. If there are 100 of them on the shelf at Hobby Lobby, you don't need it in your house.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    5 years ago

I have never heard of needing to add a cool color because you have all warm colors. Is this a thing?

• Ash T
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Littlebug:

That’s what a decorator told me. She said you have to balance warm and cool?! I have no idea how to do that though.
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

Forget what your decorator said. Add a bit of a single color (as I've done with the yellow above) to give the room some spark. That's all you need.

• PRO
    karen paul interiors
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Ash, from what you posted, it sounds as though you are starting over if you are replacing your upholstery and rug. So why don't we all put together a Mood Board for you? Do you know what color(s) you want in upholstery....or a rug....or art? You just need a starting point, so at your direction we can begin?

• Ash T
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Karen Paul:

I would like a sectional (I think) and rug, but I am unsure how to pull the colors together. These couches were given to me by my parents 15 years ago. Yikes! I love neutrals, whites, taupes, greens and a hint of blue.

I would love a mood board. What is that and how do I add it. I added Houzz a couple days ago to make this post out of desperation.

Thank you all for all the help!!!
  • Ash T
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Groveraxle:

Love the black and white with a pop of color!! The visual helps sooo much!! Thank you!
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    5 years ago

So the idea of a sectional is to have the same configuration as you have now, without the space between your current pieces? Have you thought about arms (round, track, etc.) and skirt/no skirt? Since this will be your main upholstery am I to assume this is where the (taupe) would go? Do you have young children or teenagers who eat in the living room? I'm thinking about the type of fabric beyond the color. Lastly, would you prefer leather, vinyl, ultra-suede or a certain type of fabric? I mentioned ultra-suede because it's the only fabric I know that can be specified in an off-white (or light colors) and is washable with soap and water. I use it in my commercial spaces that get a lot of sand, water, lipstick, candy...well, you name it and it cleans up. Just a thought.

• PRO
    karen paul interiors
    5 years ago

I lifted this from someone's website. It's good info. Ultra suede microfiber comes in different qualities so that's something to be aware of. It's not costly as I purchase it for $2.99 yd at a local fabric mill/outlet. I'm not trying to dissuade or persuade you but I just wish more young families were aware of this "silver bullet". First a photo of a sofa/chaise in an off-white and then the info follows.

Upholstery Strategies for Young Families – Interiors for Families · More Info

So microfiber is a bit of a polarizing fabric. Some love it, others hate it. It is undeniable that good quality microfibers provide the best combination of durability, stain resistance and clean-ability. I’m mainly talking about Ultrasuede, here. It really does feel like suede, unlike some cheaper microfibers. And I’ve heard stories of Sharpie disasters on Ultrasuede-upholstered furniture being averted with a rubbing alcohol and elbow grease. Even WHITE! Want to talk double rubs? How does 200,000 strike you? It doesn’t get any better than this. Lots of color options, too (solids). If you are environmentally conscious, Ultrasuede is a great choice, as it is made from 100% recycled fibers.

• Pugga70
    5 years ago

Following......

• Ash T
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Karen,

I was considering taupe bc it was the only color I could come up with for a couch. I have not considered arms or skirts. I LOVE the idea a off white sofa but I am terrified with two small kids. I will look into that type of material though.
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    5 years ago

Ash, I totally understand. I'm posting chairs I did in a lobby over 7 years ago. They have been tortured with everything you could possibly imagine, as we live close to the beach. This is a recent photo. Our maintenance people have managed to remove absolutely everything thrown at them. It's a bloody miracle! :)

260 Cagney Building Redecoration · More Info

#01 Villa Balboa & Seafair properties Update - Newport-Estate.com . - Matrix Por · More Info

Same color ultra suede on both.

• Laura Villar
    5 years ago

following