Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terrajo

BlueStar Platinum 48 or RNB 48 range?

Terra Sandoval
5 years ago

I know that this discussion is probably already on here somewhere and I'm sorry in advance for being repetitive. I have read a lot of them but I am still wondering if the $2000 difference between the two is worth it? Is the difference between the 22 & 25k btu burners that noticeable? Is the PowR oven very superior to the one in the RNB?

Im also considering adding a griddle. Pros/Cons between the removable one in the Platinum and an integrated one? Im not worried at all about an integrated one using up two of my burner spaces permanently. Since its a 48", 6 burners is more than enough. I currently have an old 36" Viking rangetop that is 10+ years old and has an integrated grill. I hate hate hate the grill and rarely use it at all. I've often wished I could retrofit it with a griddle, but was told by Viking this wasn't possible. I will be so happy to throw this dumb Viking to the curb! Anyway, I know I would use the griddle daily.

I am hoping that the many wise and knowledgeable BS owners can help me out. Thank you all!

Comments (11)

• George Cole
    5 years ago

Very happy with the RNB. Liked the ability to have a real griddle and grill. The 22k BTU are plenty.

Terra Sandoval thanked George Cole
  • opaone
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

The RNB has a thermostatic griddle and a better oven.

Most people would not notice the diff in the burners though some would. There have been numerous discussions on here about how to get the 25k burners on an RNB.

It might be worthwhile to read threads on BS build quality and customer support. The BS burners are quite good but IMO every other aspect of BS produce and company is below Wolf or others. We were planning a 48" BS RNB but will now likely go with a Wolf unless we see something to change our minds.

Terra Sandoval thanked opaone
  • Terra Sandoval
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for your input opaone.

I would have considered Wolf before we remodeled my mother in laws house. We got her a Wolf 48" rangetop with a double griddle. They replaced the unit four times, every time the infrared griddle malfunctioned. The wires inside melted every time. They finally took back the fourth unit and refunded our money. We ended up getting her a BlueStar with the double griddle. She has been very pleased with the BS. So Im a bit apprehensive about going with Wolf. They did have good customer service though!

Thanks again

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    5 years ago

I've been using our new Bluestar 48" RNB since June and love it : ) ; previously, I'd been been using a 1950s O'Keefe & Merritt for 25 years which was wonderful, but we needed a larger oven, another oven, and more burners.

But I don't have a grill or griddle, just eight burners since we use our bbq grill year round and don't griddle enough to require anything beyond our stovetop griddle.

The ovens are great and the BTUS are more than enough.

These previous threads might be helpful,

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/blue-star-differences-in-rnb-and-platinum-lines-dsvw-vd~3659959

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/am-i-crazy-bluestar-rnb-over-platinum-dsvw-vd~2812838

Terra Sandoval thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • catinthehat
    5 years ago

Wolf and BS do not compete in the same arena in my humble opinion. Build quality on my RNB is flawless, although if you read enough reviews you can scare yourself out of anything =). I’ve also had excellent customer service on several occasions with them, I’m just too lazy to post about positive experiences on these forums. I have a neighbor who just bought a 48” wolf and it looks very pretty, also excellent build quality. She told me afterwards though she isn’t sure why they cost so much since it performed exactly as well as her old 900 dollar stove. With 15k burners and a sealed design that makes sense.

I think you would be a great candidate for the RNB. The platinum is a lot of extra money for features not worth a whole lot. I have an RNB, and upgraded my front burners to 25k. I didn’t notice much of a difference honestly until I modified the 25k burners to output 28k. Not that you should go such a route, but you’re not missing much between 22k and 25k. 22k is going to be great all around. There is a significant jump between a 15k or even 18k burner vs a 22k - you can use certain cooking techniques with a 22k burner you just can’t with anything less. Going above 22k doesn’t open any new doors, but it does let you use those same techniques with larger quantities of food.

If you are an avid cook and are on the fence about a BS, the only other serious competitors in the market are Capital and American range. Good luck!

• mullde
    5 years ago

I have the 48 inch BS RNB with the griddle and love it! The 22k BTU burners are more than enough. In fact, I generally use the 15k burners for most things. As for the griddle, I love it! Also, as many have already said the ovens are very good as well. I bake breads, cakes, cookies, scones, pizza, roasted meats, etc. and have not had any problems. Good luck with your decision. I forgot to add, I have had my stove for about three years now.

• cookncarpenter
    5 years ago

I've had my 36RNB for six years now and love it! I have the built in griddle and it gets as much use as the burners. In fact if I had room for a 48" I'd opt for a 24" griddle since I've never had the need for more than 4 burners at once. (you can always use the griddle as a french top as well)
    Agree with others, the RNB griddle is better, and so is the oven, and 22k burners are plenty for me.

• Henry Sun
    3 years ago

Just curious what you went with as I’m trying to make same decision...

• Terra Sandoval
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ended up with the RNB 48 inch with the griddle. I love it! Don’t regret not getting the platinum, the burners are quite powerful in the RNB.

• dpwatt
    2 years ago

I have read in more than one place that people with the RNB series have upgraded one or two burners to 25,000 BTUs. I actually prefer the RNB with a griddle and the RNB oven for baking, but would love to have the 25,000 BTUs for effectively cooking large amounts for parties. Please share if you know how to change or who to hire to change.