Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maitals

Wine rack dilemma

M S
5 years ago
We ordered vertical wine racks for the wall behind our bar. It will hold 45 bottles. We mostly did this for decor. We are not wine savvy and are happy with $10 bottles or even $2 buck chuck.

I’m wondering if it might be less expensive to get empty bottles. Should we mount full bottles of wine or empty bottles?

My inspiration pic has all the same bottle. Should I do all the same bottle or is that too staged looking for a real home?

Note we will be installing pendant lights.

Comments (15)

• b651
    5 years ago

I would use mostly empty bottles to save on cost. You could probably find some from friends, neighbors, restaurants, etc. that would be very little or no cost. You could put a few full bottles of whatever type you like to drink so you can pull one down if you ever need it.

• Kirsten E.
    5 years ago
    I love a glass of wine, but I think 45 is quite a lot even for me. I second using the space for something more functional, like shelves for glasses, etc.
  • M S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks. We actually have lots of storage cabinets in the bar so have no need to store anything. It is purely decor.
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    5 years ago

So you like the look of so many bottles lined up? If yes, then I guess use empties. Or fill them with red-dyed water so they look full. The result will be more regimented and stiff, and also any wine connoisseurs of your acquaintance will probably be driven mad by it (which is actually kind of funny now that I come to think of it...). You'll also be stuck dusting them because that type of display is not charming covered in dust and cobwebs.

If you like the idea of the wine rack and also the idea of having it fill the whole wall but you're not particularly attached to having the linear look of the ranks of bottles, again I would advise to just use a few of your favourites placed randomly and casually on the otherwise-empty rack. It will look more organic and natural, like you really do enjoy wine sometimes and you want it handy.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    5 years ago

Or if you live on a sea coast you could start collecting ships in bottles! That would look really cool!

• cpaul1
    5 years ago

Well, what often happens is people see things in a magazine or online and then they want it, but they don't take into account that their room isn't the same as the one in the picture, so it's not going to look as good in their space as it did in the photo. In this case, you would need a full wall to make this display work, and you don't have that. And this display would also only work in a closed wine cellar, you also don't have that, you have an open space with windows. I would not try to recreate that display, it is not going to look good in your bar area. But if that's what you're going to do anyway, then stick with what looks best in your inspiration pic and get cheap wine in all the same label. You're not going to drink it so it doesn't matter. Do not used empty, used wine bottles, that's gross. The ONLY way this display works is if they are actual wine bottles.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    5 years ago

Lol where I live "cheap" wine is still over $10/bottle once you figure in taxes etc. That's a lot of $$ for wine I wouldn't drink! But I guess at $2/bottle, sure why not!

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    5 years ago

Hey what about a u-brew place? Pretty inexpensive, you can customize the labels...

• Rawketgrl
    5 years ago

Why not use this as an opportunity to learn about wine and start a small cellar that you can grow as you become more educated in what you like. Mount one of the wine racks near the bar that you can fill that night for a party or dinners. Mount the others someplace cool. Wine should be stored around 55 degrees. Wine tasting parties are lots of fun. Cheers!

http://www.enjoyhopewellvalleywines.com/wine-tasting-party-ideas.html

• lshack17
    5 years ago
    Since this seems to be more of a decor thing I would stock each rack all red or all white and alternate them. Restaurants display wine like that and it looks cool. Definitely no to empty bottles! I think if you are going to do this kind of display, you have to just go all the way.

If you feel like it, post an updated picture after you hang the racks. Have fun with the bar!
  • M S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks for all the feedback. I am considering hanging some wine related art instead. I found this online but it is nearly $1800 for each piece. I am going to look for something similar at a (much) lower price point. Any tips on where I can find something are appeciated!
  • functionthenlook
    5 years ago

Do you have a winery near you? We have one that during the summer they have concerts and you sit in the lawn and listen to music and drink wine. Different wine comes in different colored bottles. Browns, blues, yellows, green, red bottles. You can not take the open wine off the property, but you can take the empty bottles off . I went and collected the pretty colored empty bottles for decoration.

• Kirsten E.
    5 years ago
    Do your cabinets have enough height for cool decanters and and chillers, etc. Regardless, I’m a fan of art!
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

I had suggested using them at my sister's condo but the concept was rejected because she thought there would be too much dusting involved. I thought it was a good idea and thought that both filled and emptied bottles could be used. I was going to dip the ends in wax to continue the charade.