Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madzone9b_ca

Is this dividable? Haworthia Yamada Black Obtusa

MAD zone 9b
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hello,

I just got a new plant. It looks like there are multiple rosettes on the head, but I’m not sure if this is just how it looks (when they get bigger) or not. They are very tightly packed. Is this dividable/ are these pups? If they are, how do you separate them if there is no stem?

thanks.

It’s a Haworthia Yamada Black Obtusa.

Comments (16)

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    5 years ago

While I don't disagree with Rob, offsets don't always grow roots as quickly as the primary plant. It appears as though there is an offset in the last picture. You might be able to break it off, callous and set in a grit mix of pumice fines. Just my 2¢ worth.

MAD zone 9b thanked bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
  • bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    5 years ago

MAD, I am curious where you got your lovely plant?

Haworthia obtusa Yamada Black Ex STC

Haworthia obtusa Black Ex Mini Garden

MAD zone 9b thanked bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
  • Polypompholyx
    5 years ago

Looks like the crown has divided but the crowns are sharing the same stem. I'm not sure I'd call them pups. They're more like branches I think. Anyway, I can't see how long the stem is for each crown. bikerdoc5968 might be right. There might be something you can break/cut off near the edge of the cluster of leaves in the second pic. However, if that were my plant I wouldn't mess with it.

MAD zone 9b thanked Polypompholyx
  • Bruce (Vancouver Island)
    5 years ago

MAD: In your bottom picture there is a long root. Try cutting off the bottom inch or two, put it in a small container of potting mix on your kitchen windowsill and see if it grows. It could take several weeks so keep it moist but not wet. Here is a URL that might help further with the process: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/propagation/cuttings/what-are-root-cuttings.htm

MAD zone 9b thanked Bruce (Vancouver Island)
  • MAD zone 9b
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Bikerdoc; I got it from a succulent seller on Etsy. Other reviews said they got plants exactly like their stock photo of Yamada Black (sun stressed), so I think this is it, just not sun-stressed and with a multi-head. I‘ve googled images of Yamada Black and they are usually shown as a single rosette head, but there isn’t a dominant/mother looking head on this one, so I didn’t know what to do to get it to look like the pics.

Polypompholyx, thanks, I think you might be right that they branched or something.

Bruce, that’s a good idea, I‘ve never thought about root propagation. So no stem is necessary for it to work? I will definitely try this.

5 years ago

MAD, no stem is required to work. It is called propagation from a root cutting (note it doesn't always work but is sure worth a try). When a piece of stem is taken with a piece of root it is called propagation by division, which will also work. Depending on the plant you can actually just cut off pieces of stem that include a root and replant the pieces. I was going to suggest that initially to you but your plant looks so tiny I would have hated for you to lose it by dividing it. Give the root cutting a try first. You can always dig up the plant next year when it is bigger and try to propagate it through division then. I hope this helps.

• MAD zone 9b
    Original Author
    5 years ago

So I started with the idea that I would try to cut only one rosette. But after the first, I felt like I could continue. “Just one more,” then off came another and then another. I had this in mind: http://forum.bcss.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=79245

I ended up separating them all, and most came away with some roots.

I think this first one is the “mother” since it was mostly in the center, and I had to cut around it. It has the most wounds, while the others just have one cut. The little one ended up without roots. I’m hoping it can grow some, but I probably should have left that one connected. I’m drying them off now, but I didn’t want the roots to dry out any further so I buried just the roots and kept the wounds exposed and have not watered. Does that seem ok?

How do you know when the wound has calloused/dried out enough?

I lost a different plant to stem rot because I didn’t let it dry enough, so I don’t want to make the same mistake.

would spraying them with fungicide help?

5 years ago

MAD: Wow, you went all out! Hopefully a few, most or all of them will survive. You might want to put them in several separate pots so if one gets any diseases it won't spread to the rest. Let us know how it turns out for you.

• Polypompholyx
    5 years ago

I suggest letting the roots dry, too. If there are any small breaks in the roots they can become infected if kept moist. If you let the roots dry a bit then the small breaks can heal and infection later is less likely. Also, I think a less peaty and less moisture retaining soil mix would help you but perhaps you're satisfied with what you have.

MAD zone 9b thanked Polypompholyx
  • MAD zone 9b
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Bruce: I didn't see your other post before starting, but yes, I felt like I went a bit crazy there, haha. I really was planning to cut only one or two. But after I saw the cut wound, and thought about how I lost a larger healthy plant to rot because I took a few leaves...I decided it might be better to separate them all in case one of the wounds did get infected with something (I cleaned my exacto knife, but there’s still soil on the plant).

Thanks for the tips, I will put the two in separate pots. I guess now I will have to wait a few days to let it dry?

5 years ago

MAD: I'm in two minds about letting the roots dry out. I understand your concern about a fungal attack but I also know that letting the roots dry out is very dangerous. This is especially true with seedlings as it will more than likely kill them. Yours is not a seedling but it has still been stressed and the roots can only be left to dry out if the plant is dormant. That is, it is not growing. Yours, being a succulent, is very much not dormant, and I fear that letting the roots dry out would potentially kill it. Also succulents by their very nature are very soft and full of moisture (much more than more woody plants) and so letting it dry out at all would be detrimental to it. You might want to double your odds of success by letting one dry out while replanting the other right away and risk any fungal attack. Best of Luck!

• MAD zone 9b
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Bruce & Polypompholyx: Thank you both. I will check for breaks in the roots, and try drying out one or two and keeping the other with roots buried while waiting to callous.

I recently bought this Miracle Grow cactus soil to try out, but I will add lots more perlite/vermiculite when they are ready to be planted & watered. I wanted the roots to rest on something soft for now, to prevent breaks bc I am pulling them up a lot and moving them around. But yes, the soil is very soggy when wet by itself. The MG moisture control potting soil I have outside is actually faster draining than this. My succulents outside do well in it (mixed with perlite,etc.) and I only have to water once a month, and not at all in winter.

• MAD zone 9b
    Original Author
    5 years ago

BikerDoc: check out SucculentsDepot on Etsy. Here’s their stock photo of their plant. I’m hoping these will color up like this in the summer if they make it.

Edit: so this one is sold out for now, but they have other window haworthias. This is where I got my Cooperi v. truncata from.

• MAD zone 9b
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Update:

1/17/19: After waiting 4 days to dry, I potted up the H.Yamada Blacks into a mixture of 80% perlite & 20% MG cactus mix. Sprayed with a bit of water.

The next day, they started to smell bad, so I took them back out, washed off the roots, sprayed with alcohol & sprinkled all over with cinnamon & repotted into dry mix. No water. No water. No water.

1/22/19: I got some inorganic gritty mix (pumice, turface, lava rock) after doing research on particle size and materials. Repotted today. Only one Yamada Black has any roots left (The one in the center). The other 3 pieces have lost their roots, and the little one never had any to begin with. They still look mostly plump and there appears to be no rot in the stem cuts, so here’s hoping they put out new roots.

The one in the upper left has leaves bent at an angle because of how it was connected to the clump, not sure which way to have it sit. Right now, I sat it so that the inside (new leaves) are facing up.

• MAD zone 9b
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Update: it’s been about 2 months. I lost one to rot, probably kept too wet, even though I potted it in pumice/turface/lava rock. I was lightly spraying every 3days to try to encourage root growth, but they ended up getting moldy even with heavy doses of cinnamon & peroxide. I repotted them in larger pots, cut back water & now add a small dose of chemical fungicide with every watering, and that has worked out better in general.

This first one is potted in amended cactus soil. It is doing well now with once every two week watering.

This second one is potted in pumice/turface/lava rock. This one is smaller/drier & struggles a bit more than the ones potted in soil. It rooted much slower than the other two. I water this approx once a week. I am considering repotting to regular soil, but for now I will keep it as an experiment/comparison plant.

This 3rd one is the baby. It rooted the fastest & has doubled in size, potted in amended cactus soil. The white on it is fungicide residue.

I still have some hope for this 4th one. It got pretty moldy before I switched to chemical fungicide. I’ve kept it mostly dry. The center is showing new growth, and a tiny root nub. The outer leaf cuttings are remnants of the 5th piece that broke apart. A few are showing tiny plantlets.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations