Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carladr

How can we hear a “smart” door entry system ring inside the house?

carladr
5 years ago
We recently installed the Savant door entry system. While it’s great for notifications and recording people who come to the front door, it is set up to notify us through our phone or tablets. If our devices are not turned on with the volume, we can’t hear the door notifications. Has anyone used a “smart” door entry system integrated with a door chime inside the house? We’d like to be able to hear someone at the door without needing our mobile devices to be near us at all times.

Comments (7)

• dabjg
    5 years ago
    The Ring doorbell has a separate device I plug in so we can hear doorbell. But - I think we have to have our devices with the downloaded app in the house.

We can wire it to our regular doorbell but our wired doorbell doesn’t work so it was easier to just set it up on my phone.
  • queenvictorian
    5 years ago

Well I think you just need to call the electrician and have him fix your old school doorbell.

The thing about these high tech doohickeys is that they are very easy and convenient to configure and their makers work to convince you that this new solution is better than whatever process/product it's "disrupted". That's not always the case. Sometimes the best and simplest solution is the old-fashioned one. Like doorbells that make a sound when a visitor pushes the button. Seriously, I'm going to install a kitchen->attic dinner bell (basically an intra-house doorbell) because my husband can't hear me calling him to dinner from the kitchen (so much sound-dampening plaster) and it's really annoying having to pull out my phone to text him (and hope he has his phone on him). Hence a doorbell where all I have to do is push a button.

• carladr
    Original Author
    5 years ago

This is new construction and the company installing our home automation recommended the Savant door entry system over Ring because it would be "integrated" into the rest of the Savant system. I need them to put some of their brain power into figuring out how to make it ring either through the speaker system (which they installed) or through an old school doorbell. In addition, they can't seem to figure out how to change the sound of the notifications on our phone from the same sounds as text and news alerts.

Our previous home had Ring and I'm not seeing any advantages of Savant over Ring with the exception of Savant not needing to be charged but that was really just a very minor inconvenience.

• wdccruise
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

"In addition, they can't seem to figure out how to change the sound of the notifications on our phone from the same sounds as text and news alerts."

On Android phones, the notification sound is set within each app. For example, to change the notification sound for the standard Messages app:

1. Open the Messages app.
    2. Touch the three dots at the upper right; select Settings.
    3. Touch Notifications.
    4. Touch Sound
    5. Select a sound from the list; touch OK.
    6. Close the Messages app.
  • User
    5 years ago

Visit your nearest cell phone store and they will adjust it for you.

• PRO
    MorganFiona
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

This is quite upsetting. Still, I think that this can be changed in the settings. Try to download a different app for warehouse door alarms, I think you will have to pay some extra cash, but it will not cost more 5 bucks a year. There are many apps, just check the instructions of the alarm and see if the device itself and the app are compatible. Worst case scenario, you can always put a door bell, this one you won't miss for sure! In case you don't find the app let me know, I will gladly help you find one. Good luck!

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer