Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paddykk

Advice on appliances for our new home

paddykk
5 years ago

These are what our builder proposed for a second home that we won't be living in everyday.

Refrigerator, Viking VCBB5363ERSS 36" Viking counter depth

Range, Cooktop Viking VGSU5366BSS 36" gas cooktop

Oven, Viking RVSOE330SS 30"

Range down draft Viking VDD5360SS 36"

Dishwasher Bosch SHE3AR75UC

Washer Dryer Bosch 730522

Can anyone please give me any pros and cons on any of these appliances?

Thanks!

Comments (29)

• dan1888
    5 years ago

I'd not choose Viking for any appliance. Bosch dw and induction range.

paddykk thanked dan1888
  • Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    5 years ago

About induction, since you have chosen a 36" gas cooktop, you may want to consider a 36" induction cooktop instead. Bosch makes great ones. The control and power on induction are as good or superior to gas and the cleanup is a breeze- nothing but the pot gets hot, so nothing gets baked onto the cooktop. I have both induction and gas; induction wins hands down.

paddykk thanked Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • K R
    5 years ago
    I agree about induction. Especially in a home you won’t be in everyday, induction cooking is quick! Since you’re going high end, I’d look at the new Wolf stuff, it’s pretty amazing. As for a fridge, Sub Z or Jenn-Air (I have the Jenn-Air 42” side by side, it is amazing!).
    paddykk thanked K R
  • paddykk
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Great guys! Garden Web community rocks!! Please keep the comments coming - This is very helpful for us to make that final decision and tell our builder what to finally go with.

Yes cleanup should be a breeze if it is a smooth top. Will look at induction and Bosch and Wolfe brands.

For the washer - I have a front load at home but I wipe down every single time and make sure the door is kept open so there is no mold and mildew smells and buildup. Since this a second home and other friends start using it - I need everything easy maintenance - Any ideas on the washing machine? should I go top load instead - I'm sure now there are top loads too that as pretty efficient too right?

• sandk
    5 years ago
    Three Bosch/Thermador dishwashers have been great for me. Reliable and excellent cleaning. I am on my second Bosch washer (first one fried by a power surge). Very happy with washer and dryer also. You might want to make sure you like the size of the Bosch laundry equipment. I believe all their current machines are small apartment size. No experience with Viking, but haven’t heard anything good about them for a long time. Curious that your builder is encouraging almost a full kitchen’ worth.
    paddykk thanked sandk
  • beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    5 years ago

Curious that your builder is encouraging almost a full kitchen’ worth.

Viking has been marketing to builders, especially of higher end projects, for at least 10 years. Here's an old thread with some good info,

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/2277418/is-viking-the-new-builders-grade#n=16

paddykk thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • sandk
    5 years ago
    But, beckysharp, isn’t it a bit curious? Aggressive marketing could account for a few years I suppose, but real life results should win out. So are the bad Viking reviews not typical of people’s experience? Viking just seems over represented in the negative reviews, enough to scare me off when I last looked into appliances.
    I’ve been on the receiving end of extensive marketing, and if I continued to recommend problematic products to my clients, it would not be good for business.
    paddykk thanked sandk
  • beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Just a guess, but it seems to me that one way for a company to try to combat persistent negative reviews is with aggressive marketing and favorable terms for builders. A lot of homeowners know the name and products from the Food Network and figure they're getting a deal. And most people are reheating takeout or cooking quickly after work. Many homeowners, as seen on GardenWeb, also think the way to go is matching sets of appliances rather than choosing each appliance for the job it does and its quality. That makes them easy marks for Viking.

My choice for combatting persistent negative reviews would be to improve the company's products, but I'm old-fashioned that way : ) .

paddykk thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • paddykk
    Original Author
    5 years ago

We are not looking to get all the appliances from one brand. So will base our picks based on the each appliance and it's use. So washer/Dryer and Dishwasher Bosch is fine. Cooktop probably Wolfe (I have Wolfe at home - I love it - it's gas but it's not a smooth top - so need to look at induction recommendation) Refrigerator, Down Draft and Oven/Microwave I need to figure out. We are going for a modern all flush look. Thanks again for all your suggestions.

• paddykk
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here's an update:

We are going to place an order this Thursday!

1. We plan to go with a Subzero integrated/flush panel ready refrigerator (Either the single door or the French Door). Leaning towards the French Door since its shorter that the single door due the motor being on the top of the refrigerator vs the bottom - So a difference in the interior height of 73" vs 84". I like both.

2. We are going with the Wolfe 36" Induction cooktop.

3. We are going with the Dacor down draft since the controls are built into the downdraft unlike the Wolfe's downdraft which had a piece (look like a remote) to operate the down draft and we will need to drill a hole on the counter or the cabinet face just for this - in case we have to change in the future, I do not want to have to deal with a hole!!

4. Now the ovens! My needs are an oven and a microwave (that can be used as an oven too) on top of each other and right next to the refrigerator and a flush look.

In my current house we have the GE Advantium and GE wall Oven - both 30" Monogram). I like them.

Since we are going with Subzero - I'm now considering the Wolfe wall oven and microwave/oven combination. Just started looking and my head is spinning with M series E series, blue enamel chipping problems etc. etc.

I also looked at Bosch oven and microwave appliances too originally.

5. Dishwasher going with Bosch with water softener (I love my Miele I have at home!) - but thought I'll try Bosch.

6. Next Laundry - probably Bosch again (I have Miele at home I love) but wanted to try Bosch in the second home.

Any advice would be appreciated on all my choices (but need help especially with the ovens)

Thanks

• ifoco
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I would suggest you NOT place any oven next to a refrigerator. I know many KD show all of these pictures, looks great but in reality not good. Many refrigerator mfg will not like it and some will void your warranty. Heat next to a cooling appliance will make it work harder than normal even with insulation and fail sooner. Just something to think about.

Inga

PS I've had an Advantium first generation and I love it. I see they are much improved and will get the new model in the next remodel.

paddykk thanked ifoco
  • Milo Pompeii
    5 years ago

We will be installing a Wolf CSO and M series oven next to a SZ fridge in 2 weeks. (Flush install.) Consulted with the manager of the Wolf SZ center here in Houston and was told no problem.

paddykk thanked Milo Pompeii
  • M Miller
    5 years ago

It is unusual to see a downdraft with a set of expensive appliances. Downdrafts don’t work well, and take up a lot of counter room. They are also quite nasty to clean. Why not a hood? Where are you venting the downdraft to? The grease has to go somewhere.

• paddykk
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The cook top is in the island and high/sloped ceilings - that is the reason we are going with the downdraft. This being a second home we won't be cooking much! Also in my current home I have a Wolfe gas cooktop and a Dacor downdraft and like it - so didn't think twice about using the same.

Now for the oven - we are not going Wofe because Wolfe does not have a speedoven(microwave/convection oven combo) - So the choices are 30":

GE Advantium and Wall oven from their Monogram line (which I currently have and like)

Bosch (Benchmark speed oven) and the 800 Series single wall oven. Tried to do a compare of their Benchmark and 800 series - I didn't find a whole lot of difference other than the TFT and a circular touch stainless steel control that you just rotate.

Maybe the Meile Speedoven and the wall oven.

• paddykk
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Still haven't decided on the oven!

• ccwatters
    5 years ago

Why do you need the speed oven? On another post where I was/am trying to decide on which double convection ovens to buy to replace my old ones, CombiSteamOven users were very vocal about how much they loved them their CSO (Miele being the apparent fan-favorite here, although Wolf makes a good one too). ...many people replacing their microwaves with these ovens, and certainly this is a popular trend in putting this CSO on top of a 30" Convection.

I'm not getting that because I love having two full-sized convection ovens and think I'm going with the Wolf M series double convection (though I'm still a bit torn) , but CSO may be worth investigating for your need.....good luck :)

• paddykk
    Original Author
    5 years ago

For my needs I only need a microwave and one oven - but most generally people prefer having two ovens - so instead of having two ovens (for resale) and a microwave - I'm going for a standard 30" oven and one that can be used mostly as a microwave and then when needed you still have two ovens!

I will look into the CSO - So I guess that's a microwave and an oven in one appliance? - just like the Monogram Advantium - and has a steam component to it? Thanks.

• ccwatters
    5 years ago

Oh, got it. It's not a microwave at all, but apparently reheats food to perfection and in half the time of reg oven. If you need the microwave for boiling water, etc...this won't do it.

paddykk thanked ccwatters
  • paddykk
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@ccwaters - Did you end up buying your double ovens? I'm frozen unable to make a decision!!

We have decided on double ovens (as we are planning a drawer microwave elsewhere) - but not sure which double oven to buy - Bosch or GE Mongram or Wolf - scared of chipping issues although I like the Wolf E series!!

We are buying appliances from multiple manufacturers but since we are buying the Subzero refrigerator and Wolf induction cook top we will get their package promotion of $1000 off and a countertop appliance like a oven or juicer etc. - but with the chipping issue of Wolf I'm a little worried to take that step!!

• wekick
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Someone mentioned on a post last week that they were able to get a full 6 year warranty on a Wolf oven some way. If you read about the lawsuits, they will trade out oven after oven as many times as you need to as long as you are under full warranty. The “E” is a much better design than the “M”. There are several posts about the overbrowning along the sides of the “M”. You also have the convection bake mode on the “E” which gives you two fan speeds that you don’t have on the “M”.

They used to have this on their website to illustrate the ”M”s verticross convection. It also shows why they have over browning on the sides.

They replaced the drawing with this.

The Monogram is interesting because it has the direct air which is fan assisted air flow from the top.

I am leaning toward the Bosch 800 when my Elux quits. I have loved it but it has had blue chipping. I also had blue chipping with a Wolf DF range and Dacor wall oven and range.

paddykk thanked wekick
  • ccwatters
    4 years ago

I ended up getting the Wolf M Series. It fit my favorite x-large cookie sheets (which I found the Bosch did not when I took them to appliance store to physically test), and had the convection in both ovens. I also have had a Wolf cooktop that is still going strong after 16 years now, so I have very positive Wolf experience.

It has cooked food perfectly for me, and at this point I have no issues. I don't know what to say except I have not one regret and really enjoy using the oven (easy controls too). And I have to confess, though appearance had nothing to do with my decision-making....it is an absolutely gorgeous appliance, the most solid one I've ever had the pleasure to use (my Wolf cooktop used to hold that title :)

• M
    4 years ago

Search of Bluestar Wall Ovens in the Houzz forums. There is at least one user here (Jerry Jorgenson) who absolutely loves his oven, and will tell you all about it if you ask.

As for the CSO, as has been said here before, Miele makes a wonderful model. And you get to choose whether you want the regular height (XL) or the extra tall model (XXL). Personally, I feel if you have a fullsize oven somewhere, you probably won't need the XXL. We have an XL and I am constantly surprised how much it holds.

And of course, as the CSO has stainless steel walls, it doesn't suffer from blue chipping. Realistically, the only thing that I use my larger oven for these days is its amazing infrared broiler. Otherwise, I prefer the features of the CSO and the much faster pre-heat time of the smaller (but still capacious) oven.

As far as I can tell, the Wolf CSO isn't made by Wolf, but it is a rebadged V-Zug CSO. I personally feel that it lags a little bit behind Miele. Also, it lacks the option to install a plumbed model, which I personally feel makes a huge difference in how likely you are to use the steam oven every single time, when it makes sense to do so.

paddykk thanked M
  • paddykk
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Will look at Bluestar wall ovens- so there won’t be blue enamel or any enamel chipping. thanks @M. Considered Miele CSO but won’t for a second home - thinking of getting it for our current home.

@wekick - will look into the 6 year warranty for the Wolfe

@ccwatters - we don’t need a speed oven (the only reasoning was to have two ovens where one serves as a microwave too). So now we decided to get a Sharp drawer microwave we are looking to get two full size wall ovens - that way when this second home will be full of guests at holidays it will be useful.

So so going shopping to look at the different double wall ovens:

Bluestar

Wolfe E series - with 6 year warranty

Bosch (it’s sister companies like Ganggue or Thermador)

not it looking forward to this oven shopping this weekend.

Will update you guys Monday!!! Thanks SO, SO much!!!

• ccwatters
    4 years ago

I did not assume you needed speed oven (that was a much older post)

I bought a double oven, that was what I was referring to...

Good luck with your decisions :)

• paddykk
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Went oven shopping over the weekend!

Looked at Ganggue, Thermador, Bosch, GE Monogram, Wolfe again

Eliminated Ganggue because it was not intuitive to use and SUPER expensive for a second home. Thermador - had no opinion one way or another (tired to research that now!)

Bosch 500,800, Benchmark were VERY affordable comparatively - even without the $1000 promotion from Wolfe you come away with about $2k savings. The tubular subzero handles and the Bosch handles do not match at all and they will be side by side so......

saw the GE Monogram whose handles match the subzero refrigerator handles.

Of Course I revisited Wolfe E series ovens and liked them again!! Arrgh!!!

Found out about the 6 year warranty from Subzero/Wolf - It comes with a standard 2 year and then you can get a 3 year more from Subzero and then if you get it installed by a certified installer then you get one more year - but then you can't get a $1000 off for the package promotion.

So here are my options:

1. Bosch - for the price and good reviews on Houzz as far as their chipping - only one complained and they got the replacement right away. Just have to read up and decide on the 500,800, Benchmark.

2. Wolfe E with 6 year warranty

3. GE Monogram - although not good for gourmet cooks (which I'm not so it's ok). This option is in contention only because the handle match the Subzero refrigerator right next to it!!

Or just get Bosch and maybe panel the subzero refrigerator so you can get whatever handle you want - Wasn't thinking of paneling until now because we like the stainless steel look. It breaks up the kitchen some.

Will 42" French door Subzero refrigerator right next to a Bosch double oven look really bad? (appliance guy thinks I won't be happy with the mismatch!)

• M
    4 years ago

We have some mismatched handles in our new kitchen. Nobody ever notices.

We do like our paneled Sub-Zero fridge though. And we installed Miele handles on the fridge. Very affordable and pretty

paddykk thanked M
  • wekick
    4 years ago

Honestly none of my handles match but I am about function over form.

Why do you say Monogram is not for gourmet cooks?

paddykk thanked wekick
  • paddykk
    Original Author
    4 years ago

In my current home I do have different handles right next to each other so I agree with function over form (I have Electrolux ICON refrigerator right next to the GE Monogram/Advantium oven combination - but both are tubular type handles). Bosch and Subzero are flat and tubular handles - You know when the sales guys says like that you just get a little worried to take that step. I think I just need sometime to get used to the idea then maybe I'll be ok.

Regarding the Monogram not for gourmet cooks - I read on other threads in this forum that there is a big temperature difference withing the oven (close to 100 degree difference from one spot to the other so their baking wasn't even for their cookies etc.) and also when you open the oven door to do something with whatever you are baking the temperature drops and it goes back to pre-heating mode, etc.

Just another piece of info I just learnt: @Michelle misses Sophie on another thread told me that I should look into buying the appliance with my Citi card which gives you 7 year warranty for Wolfe Oven if I go that route.