Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allisonwebb

Do my sconce heights have to match?

allisonwebb
5 years ago
My bathroom vanities are on opposite sides of the room. The vanities are at different heights because I’m short and my husband is tall. This will cause my mirrors to be set at different heights. Should my sconces also be at different heights or should I find a happy medium? I’m using them for facial lighting so I want them to be at the correct height and not have shadows, but wondering if it will look strange if they are at different heights.

Comments (12)

• missenigma
    5 years ago

Position them for what's appropriate to their particular location.

• allisonwebb
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you
  • PRO
    Kat & Co. Interiors
    5 years ago

Hi Allison,

You have me curious! How tall are you and how tall is your husband?

Then I have to ask some hard questions...

Is this your forever home? Do you have any plans of selling?

To keep your home marketable for all buyers please consider a happy medium for all elements. Vanity heights, mirrors and wall sconces. Keeping all of these elements at the same heights.

That being said, you have to be comfortable within your space. If standard height just does not work for either of you, then keep the proportions the same. That means that the heights of all (vanity, mirror & sconces) will be at a shorter height for your side and your husband's elements will all be arranged at a taller height.

Good luck & happy planning!

• Anne Duke
    5 years ago
    Yes
  • Anne Duke
    5 years ago
    Didn’t finish. Pick out a sconce that covers enough height that both will be optimal for each and still at the same height.
  • missenigma
    5 years ago

@anne duke That's a good suggestion.

• allisonwebb
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I am 5’2” and my husband is 6’1”. The cabinets are already installed and the sconces are already ordered. His vanity is 36”, I believe (not home to check for sure), and mine is just a few inches shorter, nothing too short unless you’re super duper tall. This could be our forever home or could not be. It’s on 50 acres in Texas so customizing, but not too strangely, is not out of the norm for this type property. Currently I have the sconces marked to be placed at the same distance from the top of each countertop, but just wanting to make sure that wasn’t crazy and they should be placed at the same height regardless of countertop height.
  • allisonwebb
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    My side is the one with the window.
  • PRO
    Kat & Co. Interiors
    5 years ago
    Your space in progress is lovely! Thanks for sharing the pics! You are well within the “norms” for measurements and I think the height difference may even appeal to future buyers & act a feature selling point. You have my blessing . I love that you have a designated side & clear his&hers areas.
    Remember to keep it in proportion! Your mirror & sconces will be slightly lower than your husbands.
    Can’t wait to see the after pic when you pull your space together with window treatments, bench cushion & pillows!
  • allisonwebb
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you Kat & Co Interiors! I’m not sure if there is a way on here to tag or comment directly.
  • K R
    5 years ago
    Yup, I have same issue as I am 5’3 and my hubby 6’6! We decided on different height vanities on the other side of the bathroom from each other as well. His and hers! Lovely bathroom!