Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calfano

painting kitchen cabinets

Looking at painting kitchen cabinets Pashmina (BM) with Cool Charcoal (PPG1007-6) trim and Agreeable Gray (SW) walls. Floor is Armstrong LVT called Enchanted Forest (it has light gray, dark gray and brownish). Small amount of light from south facing window. Will Pashmina look too beige?

Comments (49)

• Sandra Martin
    5 years ago

Please post pictures of what you’re doing, it will really help. Thx

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

Yes, please post images of all your selections. You'll get more responses.

• John & Connie Alfano
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Will do

• John & Connie Alfano
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• Rawketgrl
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I am so visual I need it all together...

Trim = PPG Cool Charcoal

Walls = SW Agreeable Gray

Counter and back splash =

Cabinets = BM Pashmina

Flooring = Armstrong LVT called Enchanted Forest =

• Rawketgrl
    5 years ago

Looking at it all together (through a monitor!) I would think that everything works pretty well together as they are all warmer tones of gray. Except the trim, it seems overly blue and cool. Could you show a picture indicating where/what trim you are referring to?

Since your kitchen does not get much natural light and your floors and counter are darker toned I might consider white uppers with gray lowers.

John & Connie Alfano thanked Rawketgrl
  • add50317
    5 years ago
    i like the wht backsplash, id do the rest of walls n ceiling in white, its too dark.
    John & Connie Alfano thanked add50317
  • John & Connie Alfano
    Original Author
    5 years ago

To Rawketgrl, referring to all the trim pictured.

• John & Connie Alfano
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I want to paint all of the trim pictured.....I'm so sick of the stained wood trim. Can you suggest a color for the trim that will look good with warm white top and warm gray bottom on the cabinets? Thanks so much.

• John & Connie Alfano
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I want to paint the door too as well...same color as trim.

• Rawketgrl
    5 years ago

Wow okay now I see it, there is a lot of wood trim. The trouble with painting wood trim is ...where do you stop? The whole house? Just the kitchen? What do the transitions look like if you stop in one room etc...

I think a lot of the kitchens you see nowadays use the same color for trim as cabinets. So less choices to have to make!

I think you need a whole house grand plan to ensure your kitchen plan works.

Popular trim/cabinet colors below:

John & Connie Alfano thanked Rawketgrl
  • Amanda Smith
    5 years ago

I find your kitchen too dark. I would paint walls, trim, upper cabinets and door all white. I wouldn’t paint the trim a contrasting color because it is just chopping up the space. Lower cabinets can be medium gray.

John & Connie Alfano thanked Amanda Smith
  • PRO
    Motto Interior Design
    5 years ago

I agree with the above comment :) Good luck!

John & Connie Alfano thanked Motto Interior Design
  • Amanda Smith
    5 years ago

Ceiling white too. The room will look brighter and taller.

• John & Connie Alfano
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes, the whole house is definitely "chopped up"! The plan is to paint all the trim and doors throughout the whole house. (It's been one of those "LOVE IT OR LIST IT" moments and we're too old to list it!) For the most part, I plan to use Agreeable Gray on the walls because it looks pretty good in all of the rooms with the various light exposures. And I found a color called Seapearl (BM) that looks pretty good on the trim in all the rooms ...(although I like Rawketgrl's suggestions as well. I'll pick up some large swatches of those colors). I'd love to paint the upper cabinets white and the lowers medium gray. Could I then use a darker warm gray on the island? And can anyone suggest some grays? Medium and dark? Thanks so much to all...you've made life a lot easier for an old gal:) and guy!

• Amanda Smith
    5 years ago

i think a darker gray would look nice on the island. Have you thought about using white on the trim with Agreeable Gray in the other rooms? Might be a nice contrast. It would help if you posted photos of the other rooms as well.

• John & Connie Alfano
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I have painted my bedroom wall in Agreeable Gray and really like it. And I think it'll look nice in the other rooms that have eastern and western light exposure. At least it looked good when I taped around a large piece of the color. Thank you for your suggestion of using white on the trim. I think that'll look nice and uniform throughout the house. Just trying to decide between 3 white colors for trim : White dove, Seapearl or Cloud White. I think White Dove is slightly warm so I'm leaning more toward it. I have plantation shutters in a color called Steamed Milk ...the White dove provides a little contrast without too much.

• Amanda Smith
    5 years ago

Can you get color chips of each white paint color and tape them to the trim above the gray wall? That would probably help you decide. I think a bright white would look nice contrasted with the gray.

• Amanda Smith
    5 years ago

Are the plantation shutters in the bedroom? How does “Steamed Milk” look with the gray? You may need to either paint the shutters or use “Steamed Milk” for your trim so that it all matches.

• acm
    5 years ago

I'd be tempted to paint all the trim just a shade lighter or darker than the color you paint the walls, to de-emphasize it. (I'd also be more than tempted to remove the chair rail in the kitchen, which adds nothing except a distracting line. Otherwise, paint to match wall there.)

John & Connie Alfano thanked acm
  • PRO
    John & Connie Alfano thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • Amanda Smith
    5 years ago

Love the white cabinets.

• John & Connie Alfano
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I didn't think about removing the chair rail in the kitchen but you're exactly right...it adds nothing! So, I think I'm going to paint the walls: Collingwood Gray, the trim: White Dove (white but with a gray hint), or Seapearl (a little lighter than the walls); the cabinets: either White dove or Thunder and the island: Kendall Charcoal. Does anyone have any thoughts on this combination? I'm not too concerned about the shutters..the White Dove or Seapearl is pretty close in color to those. Thank you again so much! All of you have been so helpful.

• John & Connie Alfano
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Although I thought I had decided on colors for the kitchen, I'm still looking and second guessing. I came across Gray Owl (BM) and thought of using it on the walls. There's very little natural light. Would Simply White (BM) or White Dove work on the cabinets and trim? The shutters look a little creamy white in the kitchen but I don't mind the contrast.

• Amanda Smith
    5 years ago

Those two whites are so close I don’t think it makes much difference imho.

• John & Connie Alfano
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you so much Amanda. The picture of white cabinets you posted clinched it for me! I really like the look. Should I paint the soffets the same color as the trim and cabinets? Semi gloss or flat finish? From what I've read on BM site, Gray Owl is neither cool nor warm so it feels "safe". Once the trim is painted, (semi gloss) I'll put up a board painted with Gray Owl (flat) and see how it looks.

• Amanda Smith
    5 years ago

I would paint the soffits the same gray as the walls. You don’t want them to stand out.

• Lisa Schiller
    5 years ago

We really love Gray Owl on our walls but definitely see how it looks in your space - we have a lot of light and LED lighting. Before we switched out the lighting, the Gray Owl looked just a little green. Which we didn't mind but it looks better now.

John & Connie Alfano thanked Lisa Schiller
  • Molly D. Zone4B
    5 years ago

Good suggestions above! My new house has white cabinets/ trim (same color) and my walls are Pashmina. That is a dark color- best with tall ceilings and lots of light. I like the mock up above to keep things light.

John & Connie Alfano thanked Molly D. Zone4B
  • John & Connie Alfano
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I'm sorry, I just realized that celery girl posted my picture with the cabinets painted white...I credited the wrong person but thank you to her and Amanda for commenting on it. I hadn't thought of painting the cabinets white before that. I don't have a lot of natural light in the kitchen (they're actually fluorescent for now but the covers are called Clouds so the light isn't clinical looking). So thank you Lisa for your helpful comment. I'll have to get the Gray Owl on a board and post it on the walls beforehand. Looking at the pictures again, if I paint the cabinets and the trim in White Dove or Simply White, paint the soffets the same color as the walls? (BTW, I removed

the chair rail pictured. Looked to divided up to me.

• Amanda Smith
    5 years ago

Have you considered all white? Walls, cabinet, trim, etc?

• Amanda Smith
    5 years ago

Ceiling, too?

• Amanda Smith
    5 years ago

Also, the side of your refrigerator is very prominent. You could turn it into an attractive message center with a magnetic chalkboard. Put photos, etc. Just a thought.

• John & Connie Alfano
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I hadn't thought about all white but I like the idea...the kitchen is so dark and narrow. and that would sure make things easy! Would I use the same color on the wall and trim...(White Dove or Simply White) ...or slightly different colors? Or are there particular white colors that you like? I'm hoping to replace the appliances with stainless steel in the future but until then, the message board sounds great! Should I paint the island and the desk a different color? Thank you again so much Amanda.

• Amanda Smith
    5 years ago

I think using the same white on walls and trim would open up and brighten the space. A medium or dark gray would look great on the island and desk.

• Lisa Schiller
    5 years ago

The one thing that might make me hesitate on painting trim white is you might want to think about where you would stop the white and can you do it where it won't be terribly obvious. If your space is pretty open and that trim runs into other rooms, are you going to paint that trim white too? Like over your fridge, when you go down what looks like a hallway, will that trim stop being white there or go down the hall also?

I've been reading about this because I found some really cool pre-finished trim that matches the flooring we are putting in through our laundry, kitchen and main hallway. It is a grayish brown color, like the darkest color in your floor. I am putting in Coretec Blackstone Oak LVP, which has the varying colors like your floor does. The current trim is white in the rest of the house. I just got done painting all the doorways in the hallway white before putting flooring down. The consensus seemed to be that the trim in your main living areas should be the same, but do anything you like with trim that is behind closed doors. I'm unwilling to replace or repaint all six door frames I just painted, so the trim will be white in the rest of the house like it is now. But I did the trim in my laundry (including door casings to match) the darker color and will run the same quarter round under my kitchen cabinets for my LVP flooring once we get it in. The transitions back to white will be in unseen places, like where the cabinet meets the wall behind the fridge.

• Amanda Smith
    5 years ago

Yes, the white paint on walls and trim would have to continue into all adjoining areas like the hallway.

• John & Connie Alfano
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes, I'm painting all the trim and doors throughout the whole house. There's another hallway to the bedrooms and bathrooms that I didn't post that's so dark .... as are the bedrooms which have only one west facing window. I think the white will lighten it all up.

Lisa, thank you for telling me about the darker trim. Sounds nice! My laundry room is a separate room, with a window and door, next to the kitchen. (The wall behind the refrigerator is common to the laundryroom ). So, taking your idea, I could paint all the trim in the kitchen white and paint the laundry room trim the darker gray. I don't think the quarter round under the kitchen cabinets will show as it's kind of tucked under the cabinets. Should the door to the laundry room be painted to match the dark trim or the white trim in the kitchen? It doesn't seem that white on one side and dark on the other would look quite right. Thank you!

• John & Connie Alfano
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I could continue the dark color on the quarter round throughout the rest of the kitchen though...the part that's not beneath cabinets. Definitely something to try. I'll need to see how it'll look with white dove trim. So white trim at the ceiling and dark at the floor?

• Lisa Schiller
    5 years ago

I'm leaving my laundry door(s) white. If anyone wants to go in my laundry room and and criticize it, they have too much time on their hands lol. M y laundry isn't quite done but here's the trim we used as an example. We found it at Menard's. Lowe's had some gray trim but it was plastic and cheap feeling. I don't have any crown molding at my ceilings so no trim decision there for me. I was just happy to not have to paint it. But if it just your laundry room you could always try it and re-paint if you don't like it. That is the Gray Owl on the walls as well.

I

• John & Connie Alfano
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oh I like the gray owl on your walls and the dark trim! Thank you for sending! If I paint the cabinets in the laundry room white dove, I could paint the crown molding around the cabinets the same and then the shoe and quarter round the darker color. And continue it on into the kitchen. The dark trim looks really nice next to the floor. Yes, I'll probably leave the door white dove. Thanks again! (And I feel the same way you do about any criticism!)

• Amanda Smith
    5 years ago

It sounds to me with the lack of natural light in so many rooms, you won’t regret painting it white.

• Sandra Martin
    5 years ago

Connie, I had my cabinets all doors and trim painted white dove and my walls grey mist. The grey mist is a warm white and it only looks grey when there are grey items close, up against my off white dinning chairs it looks like an oyster white, very nice. These two colors are very complimentary and are warm enough that if you have brown furniture or other wood in your house it coordinates nicely.

John & Connie Alfano thanked Sandra Martin
  • Sandra Martin
    5 years ago

Benjamin Moore Grey Mist. I did the walls in flat or ulti flat, they are washable and look like velvet.

John & Connie Alfano thanked Sandra Martin
  • John & Connie Alfano
    Original Author
    5 years ago

That looks like a beautiful soft color. I looked at grey mist but beside my white subway tile in the kitchen, it looked a little drab. BUT, I didn't look at it alongside gray dove trim. Fortuneately our BM store gets me unlimited largish pieces of colors so I'll try it! Thank you! I am so appreciative of everyone's suggestions. Since this is a major renovation and the last one I'll do in this house, I need all the input I can get! There's so many choices and I feel that I have to get it right the first time. thanks so much.

• John & Connie Alfano
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Amanda, I've gotten some large pieces of Simply White and pasted them in various areas...actually throughout the whole house trim. It looks nice in all the rooms. If I use it on the trim throughout and again on the walls and cabinets in the kitchen, do you think it'll look OK with the floor tile? I know it'll look great with the backsplash and the countertop...especially with a dark charcoal gray on the island. Thanks so much.

• Amanda Smith
    5 years ago

It’s great that you are trying Simply White in your space. That’s the best way to tell. I think it will look great with your floor tile.

• John & Connie Alfano
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Well , we haven't started painting yet! But, I looked closer at White Dove, Simply White and Cotton Balls.

White Dove just looks drab gray in my kitchen. So, since I'm painting the whole kitchen, trim, walls and top cabinets the same color, would Cotton Balls or Simply White be a better choice? I have just the one smallish window and shutter in the kitchen facing south. There is more light at the end of the kitchen from the diningroom windows (east exposure). I can't get an accurate picture of the color of the shutters but they look a lot like Casa Blanca (SW ). I plan to use the same color trim throughout the whole house. Has anyone worked with Simply White or Cotton Balls under similar circumstances? I've posted pictures of the kitchen (at the beginning of this post) only because if I can get that room right, I think the same trim in the rest of the house will also look fine. Still plan to paint the bottom cabinets either the same white as the top or Repose Gray and the island a dark charcoal. Thank you.