Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flopsycat1

Teak credenza backstory?

flopsycat1
5 years ago

I love my recently purchased teak credenza, and am curious about its origins. I’m guessing Danish modern, but don’t know if it is mid century or reproduction. It has no obvious mark or label. I’ll continue to love it regardless of its provenance ( or lack thereof ). Just curious and trying to educate myself. Thank you.

Comments (8)

• toxcrusadr
    5 years ago

Did you look everywhere? Inside the drawers and cabinet doors, underneath, etc.

It could be handmade. Actually the legs look a little skinny for the boxy bulk of the cabinet, IMHO. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful cabinet. I would just expect a typical Danish modern furniture designer to get the proportions a bit more in line when choosing legs. But what do I know. Bottom line is, look for signs of handmade DIY.

flopsycat1 thanked toxcrusadr
  • gtcircus
    5 years ago
    I agree, it doesn’t quite look right with the shaker cabinets and the pointed legs. Perhaps a marriage to make it look MCM
    flopsycat1 thanked gtcircus
  • sushipup1
    5 years ago

Those curved edges don't look DIY. I bought a number of similarly-styled pieces from a Danish/Scandinavian store in 1980, and browsed such a store well after that. Those stores aren't all that common now, but they are still around. So the piece might not be as old as a true MCM.

If you think the legs don't match, well, the legs could be a replacement of the originals.

flopsycat1 thanked sushipup1
  • lovemrmewey
    5 years ago

The tiny chair looks perfect there. The piece is very interesting.

flopsycat1 thanked lovemrmewey
  • jemdandy
    5 years ago

That could have been made in a school shop. That might explain the spindly legs. Those are a little weak if these are wood turnings. Could the legs be metal? Otherwise, its a nice piece. Love the little high back chair.

flopsycat1 thanked jemdandy
  • toxcrusadr
    5 years ago

I hadn't notice the tiny chair. Made me smile.

flopsycat1 thanked toxcrusadr
  • flopsycat1
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Thank you all for the comments about the tiny chair. When my mother died, I kept a few of her small items so that I could have a piece of her in every room of my house. Her little chair makes me smile every time I see it.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES