Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharron08

Wrong Rendering-Now What?!?!!

sharron08
5 years ago
Hi Houzzers,

I need your help!

My architect designed the front of our home with 5 small windows on the second floor. On paper and in the 3D rendering, it looked great! Now that the nails have met the wood, the windows cannot be equally spaced due to a wall inside the house. :( I don’t know what to do about it. I thought about removing the window but then there will be a huge space that looks worst! So my question to you is: do the windows look fine the way they are? Would you even notice? Or would you pull up to my house and be like, “what were they thinking-those windows are off?!”
The framed windows slightly offset looks fine.
You must fix the windows!

Comments (19)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

O don’t understand the problem what window needs removing.

• justcallmepool
    5 years ago

Can you moved the inside right window closer to the big rightside window? so that the space between the small rightside windows was the same amount as the big gap on the left? Does that make sense? So the inside small windows will be symmetrical from the center.

How did did your architect not know there was a wall there?

Im not sure it’s all that obvious as being asymmetrical if you can’t fix it. I don’t think it looks awful.

• PRO
    Lehman Design Studio
    5 years ago

It really depends on the practical aspect of what light that window is offering inside. If it is not a great detriment to the interior space then I would go with 4 windows.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

I think you have to get the spacing right. I have shown two options below. It's too bad you can't do something with the wall behind the windows that are causing the issues.

• PRO
    Mountain MT Homes LLC
    5 years ago

Moving the windows left or right really won't change much, as you need to keep the aspect of the interior of the room. If you move them what will it look like in the room? Would it be possible for bigger windows to match the large middle ones, if the rooms will allow?

Ken

• sharron08
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hi Patricia, I just LOVE that you weren’t sure what windows I was talking about. Makes me feel that I might be overreacting slightly! :) There are three windows on the top left side of the house that are offset. Thanks
  • sharron08
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Justwantapool, I just want a pool too!!!! I’m hoping that I can do something with that middle window to make it look better. Issues is I haven’t been upstairs (no stairs framed) yet to see how it is affecting the inside room, which is a closet. We will take a ladder up there tomorrow and see what we can do. Thanks for chiming in.
  • sharron08
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Lehman, we’ve already bought the windows...sadly. Thanks
  • justcallmepool
    5 years ago

Sharron, I really don’t know the best answer but just want to say I feel for you. I recently moved into my remodel/new build and I know there were (are) things that came up or didn’t get built how we had envisioned or wished. Some things don’t seem a big deal now that we are living in it. Some things can be disguised.

But I did learn when i thought it was too late to change something usually there were several more steps before it was “really” too late. So speak up low and have a good brainstorm with your builder and architect to see what can be done. And buying a Couple new windows a different size isn’t that bad. We had a couple window issues and our builder had some extras leftover from other jobs that worked for us. You never know!

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Sharron, symmetry is overrated. I think it looks fine. Now don't go sticking some dorky piece of scroll work on the wall between them. THAT would ruin it.

• sharron08
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Beverly, Thanks for sending those different pictures. That was really helpful to see. Is it possible you could show me what it would look like if we just got rid of the window offset by itself? I’m wondering if it would look like too much space? Thanks
  • sharron08
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hi Ken,

I’m worried about what the inside will look like to as that is important. It is a closet I was hoping to add some natural light to. I guess worst case I can try to make it look as best as possible on the outside and hide the windows with clothes on the inside. Not ideal of course. Thanks for your input.
  • User
    5 years ago

I see it as the two on the left are aligned like the two on the right. The 3rd one stands alone in its own space. I could live with. Even though the drawing would of been preferred sometimes these things happen.

• sharron08
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Tigger,
    I’m not quite sure how that was missed either. Even the plans look right. I attached a pic so you can see. I haven’t been up on the second floor yet so I’m praying that maybe the framers miscalculated something instead of my architect and then it’s case closed.
  • grdnbeth
    5 years ago

Since it is in a closet, why not put a faux shutter on the outside where the correct spot for the window would be?

• tiggerlgh
    5 years ago
    It’s very possible the framers are wrong. Go check ASAP.

When my parents were rebuilding their custom home after a fire I walked in one weekend and noticed right away the large window in the LR was in the wrong place (off center by a few feet), my sister figured out the door to one of the bathrooms was off as well. My parents were so stressed during that time they missed both errors. The contractor half jokingly stated he didn’t want us back as we were making more work for him but as both were off from the architects plans he fixed them at no cost, and honestly was a bit more careful for rest of the build.

Good luck!
  • PRO
    Lehman Design Studio
    5 years ago

I am not certain that abandoning one window is you best solution, but, if it is, you would not be the first person to sell one leftover window on Craigslist.

From the plan snippet you posted, it appears to be an error (or field change) during the framing stage.

My most important question to you is, why are you putting windows in your WIC? The direct sun is pretty harsh on clothes in a closet. Has this been discussed with your Architect?

• sharron08
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you everyone for your help! I met with my builder and get up on a ladder to see what was going on. Turns out the framers were trying to match the windows to the other side of the house. So we asked them to place them per plans. Whew!! I feel better. I really appreciate all of your input. Don’t forget me-I’m sure I’ll need help with the inside! :)
Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County