Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Recovery from rotator cuff surgery

Sueb20
5 years ago

In about 10 days I’m having a frayed rotator cuff, and torn labrum, repaired. I had somewhat similar surgery on the other shoulder about 15 years ago but cant really remember the details of my recovery. I assume I should plan to wear button up shirts for a little while — I hardly have any so I might have to go shopping!

I know I should have asked the dr., but if you’ve had similar procedures, how long did you have to wait before you were allowed to drive?

Fortunately this is my left shoulder (I’m right handed) but I’m sure it will still be annoying. Any other recovery tips?

Comments (18)

• maddielee
    5 years ago

I can remember having to drive my husband (he’s had the surgery, not me) to PT for a couple of weeks. By the end of the 3rd week, he was able to drive himself. I think.

Good luck!

• eld6161
    5 years ago

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

• Yayagal
    5 years ago

Good luck, I hope all goes well and you're fit as a fiddle.

• OutsidePlaying
    5 years ago

No tips, but am following since DH will likely need this surgery soon. Good luck!

Now that I have written this, I do recall DD had a more minor surgery a few years ago after a small tear and did have to follow almost same protocols for things like no lifting anything heavy, and the button-up shirts because you can’t raise the arm for a while. For putting on socks, I would get one of those sock puller thingys. DH found that invaluable when he had hip replacement a couple of months ago.

• Funkyart
    5 years ago

Hope all goes smoothly, Sue, and that you are back to normal soon!

I haven't had the surgery but I have had some injuries that prevented me from using my left arm. For me, jeans were the worst with one hand.. since all your nerves etc go through your shoulder, maybe load up on simple yoga/pull on pants. My arms weren't affected by my surgery at all-- but I have still been living in JJILL pima leggings. They don't suck you in like some leggings-- so it's a very easy pull on. I'd also try loose neck yoga tops that you can pull over without lifting your arm. I bet your sleep sweater will come in handy too!

• msmeow
    5 years ago

Pull on pants! :). I was driving a week after my right shoulder surgery b/c I had to get to work.

I went to PT three times a week for FIVE months! It was at least a year before I felt like I had regained as much range of motion as I could. It’s about 98% I’d say.

Donna

• girlnamedgalez8a
    5 years ago

I went through this 3 years ago. It also took me about a year to get completely back to normal. It was my right shoulder and trying to do something with my hair for work was one of the hardest things for me. You will have zero strength in that arm after surgery. I only had a week of physical therapy because I had the surgery mid Dec. and Jan. 1st I had a huge deductible to meet. I have no regrets as I could not even do any gardening before surgery and now can do it all. Good luck to you!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes, I think it was a year before my right shoulder was “normal” after surgery and still ended up having some ongoing tendinitis.

I am a little worried about my hair! I’m getting it cut and colored this week so at least it will be as manageable as possible. Maybe if I go around with my arm in a sling people will understand why I have wacky hair!

• girlnamedgalez8a
    5 years ago

I could not wear a sling, it made me overheat. LOL But it does explain the hair at least. I had to sit and lean forward almost head to my knees to be able to use 2 hands for my hair. I felt pretty helpless.

• deegw
    5 years ago

It's fashionable in Denver to wear winter hats all the time. Maybe you can start a new trend in the NE. Sending healing vibes your way!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hat! Of course! Why didn't I think of that.

• jmck_nc
    5 years ago

Best wishes for an easy recovery and now you can shop for cute hats!

• schoolhouse_gw
    5 years ago

Not sure if I'm having the same problem, but have had pain in my right arm muscle between shoulder and bend of my elbow for weeks. Worst thing? Fastening and unfastening my bra! I need to buy one that fastens in front.

• LynnNM
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Wishing you a successful surgery, Sue, and an easy recovery! I’ve had no experience with that specific surgery, but having had surgery on my right hand and a cast for 6 weeks, quickly followed by a broken left hand and cast for 6 weeks. And then carpal tunnel surgery on my right wrist/hand directly after that put me in a similar disabled situation. The folks here gave me great pre-surgery advice. Planning ahead with premade (or bought) frozen meals; paper plates for easier cleanups ( you get worn out so quickly those first few weeks!). Elastic waisted pants. Slip on comfy shoes. Tops that work with your specific post-surgical handicaps, pulled out and ironed ahead of time. I had my hair and nails done right before my first surgery. My DH helped me with my hair every morning, after my surgery. He was so kind . . . and so exacting, after 2 days I wanted to punch him out (LOL)! He soared through medical school but hot rollers were too much for him . . . and my patience! I made sure that I had books and magazines to keep me occupied and not bored, especially that first week after. Cutting foods with knives was impossible for me those first few weeks, but serendipitously, I found that I could easily use good poultry shears for all sorts of meal prepping, as well as cutting my food for meals! Good luck and keep us posted!

** DH said to add a bit of physician advice: take your prescribed pain meds every 4-6 hours as directed, especially that first week post-op. Waiting until the pain is bad to take them wears your down too much.

• 2pups4me
    5 years ago

My good friend had her RC repaired in June. She had extensive work done and was unable to drive for 6 weeks.

• Bluebell66
    5 years ago

My friend had surgery for a torn labrum last summer and was on crutches for a couple of weeks. I can’t imagine that is an option since you’re also taking care of your frayed rotator cuff!

I was dealing with a frayed rotator cuff most of last year and boy it is painful! I don’t think mine was bad enough for surgery, so yours must be REALLY painful!

Good luck!

• prepmom
    5 years ago

My father is just recovering from rotator cuff surgery. He had it done on Jan 10th. He was in a sling 24/7 for the first 5 days - no showering. Definitely get button downs & I would recommend a size or two bigger than normal because he had to wear them over the sling. After 5 days, he was able to remove the sling only to shower and get dressed. He saw the doctor on day 8 and is now allowed to take off the sling when he is sitting and can rest his arm in position next to him. He also went for 1 PT session where he was taught the very limited exercises that he can do 3 times per day at home. He sees the doctor again the 2nd week of Feb. At that appointment the doctor should give him permission to remove the sling and do some increased PT. No driving until then. Trust me, it's killing him.

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery. I hope this was helpful.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio