Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diana_rempel

granite selection

Diana Rempel
5 years ago

When we started our renovation, we were told to go to the granite warehouse and "tag" our

selections. We tagged two slabs, and this document showing our choices was not given to

the fabricator and he has said he has never seen this document. The job took 3 slabs and we

never approved this third slab. We have also found out we only received one of the two slabs

we chose. Does he not have to confirm what we tagged?

Comments (7)

• simmtalker
    5 years ago

[Based on this discussion,[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/granite-countertop-dsvw-vd~5601948) I think the countertops have already been installed. Guessing this is more of a "how out of line is the granite place" type question.

First of all, they should have contacted you when they realized it would take three slabs instead of two, so you could participate in the selection. Not sure how legally they are required to hold your two slabs, but any decent place will definitely keep and deliver the slabs YOU chose, not just replace them without talking to you.

Diana Rempel thanked simmtalker
  • PRO
    Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
    5 years ago

Hello Diana,

If you took the time to go to the granite yard, select specific slabs and tagged them and only one was used and a third added to the order without your approval that is in no way shape or form correct. Selecting stone is a very personal thing. The movement in the stone can appeal to some and not others. If you do not care for the two slabs that were picked on your behalf by whomever, I would insist that the job be redone.

My clients go to a stone yard to select their slabs. Then, as Jamie pointed out, they go to the fabricator to approve how the template is being laid out. Some clients want some veining to be kept in tact or avoided if possible. This allows for a finished project that is completely to the clients taste.

Good luck on resolving this issue with the stone yard and fabricator.

Diana Rempel thanked Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
  • rantontoo
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

This would not be the first time that slabs were switched. The question is warehouse or your fabricator’s error or purposeful switch. I am sorry that this happened to you...are the counters cut and installed?

• Diana Rempel
    Original Author
    5 years ago

yes and thank you

• rantontoo
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

This must be common enough of an issue to be warned about it from my fabricator.

When I wanted to go to larger metro areas to pick slabs from stone suppliers that would be shipped to my fabricator, I was told to take photos of EVERY slab I put on hold. They had had issues with one area more than the other one but warned it was better to have evidence. Some slabs because of desirable features cost more than other slabs of the same type of stone...it can get “scammy” when you pay for a high cost slab and are purposefully subbed a lower cost one instead. Slabs are not only price graded for the type of stone but also for slab desirables....not sure if I am explaining what was told me well....

Other posters have complained about fabricators selling their slabs. Sonetimes it is purposeful and sonetimes an error.

Can you give us more info? How did you know you got one of your tagged slabs but not the other? Did your bid/bill list slab numbers or just the stone name? Did you purchase your slabs or did the fabricator? If he did, how did he know which slabs to buy? Were you charged more than the bid for three slabs versus two? Most important, what is he saying, and is he offering any $ compensation?

• Diana Rempel
    Original Author
    5 years ago

My document lists the two slabs by name and numbers. When I questioned him about this he

stated "he had never seen it". My conclusion is he did not confirm what I tagged. Therefore, am I

correct in saying he used unapproved material in the installation.