Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_655439647

Does anyone have pics of a pull out trash bin in an island?

Dyan Weis
5 years ago

Getting ready to order cabinets. My kitchen is not big and I am having troubles fitting a pull out trash bin in the plans. I can definitely have one in my island, but the island is only 60 x 24. Does anyone have pics of their island with a roll out trash bin? I was wanting to see your layout. I saw one sample and the trash can was so small - similar to the one in our bathroom! We would fill that 3 times a day! I need a kitchen sized trash can! Any photos? Thanks!

Comments (32)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

Really a trash can belongs beside the sink you use for prep so maybe post a pic of your plan to see what we can come up with . Do you have kitchen designer? IMO trash cans should only hold one days trash and all the veggie scraps should go into recycling. In our house we have a double pullout from Ikea with a separate bin for compost all under the sink the double bin holds daily trash and recycling, works quite well for 4 of us .

• Rawketgrl
    5 years ago

• Dyan Weis
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you! I will post my layout in a second. I have room next to my dishwasher but the trash bins are so small. Trust me - I take out my trash at least once a day. My sister has one in her island - and it fits two trash cans - both with the kitchen sized bags in side. I don't have a lot of space to work with and my cabinet "person" was telling me that I would have more room in my island which would be right behind my sink.

• Dyan Weis
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Here they are. I’m limited on space. And no I’m not changing the locations of the appliances. Long story. That cabinet next to the dishwasher is only 15" wide.

• kim k
    5 years ago
    Here’s ours... 8.5’ Long Island and pullout is 16.5”.
  • Dyan Weis
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I’ve wondered about the microwave in the island. Is it hard to bend down?
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    5 years ago

Here's one we did for a client. Given the location of your sink, you could install one in the island but make sure that it is not directly behind the sink. The cabinet for this pullout trash/recycle is 18" wide.

Oak HollowTransitional Kitchen · More Info

• Dyan Weis
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Oh I love that with the paper towels! I must have this. Very nice!
  • cpartist
    5 years ago

Why are you planning on living with such a dysfunctional kitchen when even with its small footprint it could be so much better?

And how large is the actual kitchen? How wide are your aisles?

• mkritt
    5 years ago

We have two in our island. One is used for dog food, the other trash. I do my prep work at my island, so it's been very handy right there.

• Kaylie
    5 years ago

I had one in my island at my old house. It was right behind me when I did the dishes and I loved the placement.

• Dyan Weis
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Kaylie - that is the picture I was waiting for! Did you like the drawers in the middle like that? I have to have a couple of drawers in my island for keys, etc. and this exactly what I want I believe - thank you!

• Kaylie
    5 years ago

Glad it helped! I really did think the placement worked out great since I did so much prep on the island and it was really close to the sink as well. I did like the drawers. It gave me plenty of space for storing some of the stuff that I didn't have dedicated space for before (I had a drawer for stand mixer and food processor attachments).

• Cheryl Hannebauer
    5 years ago

https://www.houzz.com/user/webuser-655439647

GO look at my page- Idea Books>>> New Build Gabe,

I think I have a photo of our pull out trash bin... and we have an Sharp MW DRAWER- which I love

humm - I must have taken it out, will take a photo in the am when the light is better for you.

• Dyan Weis
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you Cheryl!
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

You've a VERY badly designed kitchen and you are worrying about trash pullouts.. It is the LEAST of the problems I can assure you. Please get some help beyond a "cabinet person". Both your fridge and cook are badly located, the fridge should be a counter depth. Your clearances look horrendous, You have a 24 inch island with stools in your cook and prep traffic.

Please get some help. Post a flat ( no sky view please ) drawing of this mess with dimensions. Please do not throw money at THIS plan..

An honest "cabinet person" ...............very rare....... wouldn't put this on paper, let alone sell it.

• Dyan Weis
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sorry you feel that way Jan! This kitchen has worked for us for 17 years, 4 kids and cooking meals every day. We are on a budget (having the exact perfect Houzz kitchen will never happen). I'm not walking around the island to get to other appliances. Are you one of those that has the "perfect kitchen" to cook frozen pizza in? We are an Italian family and make homemade everything and this works just fine. I am grateful for what we have, and the fact that this entire kitchen remodel including cabinets, granite, sink, lighting, floors, etc. will be under 15K!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

I have a galley kitchen , actually, and it is efficient. A good design can be had on a budget. A good design considers both how you cook and what is possible in the space, and that budget. A bad design can be had at ANY price.Very often, for a bit more or even the same dollars, an actual KD...........CAN make you aware of possibilities that enhance the enjoyment of your kitchen.

• Cheryl Hannebauer
    5 years ago

https://www.houzz.com/user/webuser-655439647

Here are a couple of photos,

Sharp MW Drawer

Trash Pullouts

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

FYI... Sharp is the ONLY source for a drawer micro, and it is a good one.

• Cheryl Hannebauer
    5 years ago

Last photo did not post-trying this again

• Karenseb
    5 years ago

I had a trash cabinet on the island across form my dishwasher in the last house and it worked great. I would open both up and scrape food and crumbs off dishes and into the trashcan and then load the dish into the dishwasher.

• artistsharonva
    5 years ago

Waste bin options

2 trash cans with drawer or papertowels

If want taller trash cans then nothing above, no drawer, for a taller door

Sometimes undersink, if plumbing gives space

Other creative options

• Dyan Weis
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you artistsharonva! We have a lot of people in our family and unfortunately have a lot of trash. I appreciate the ideas! The bigger the container the better!

• N Levine
    5 years ago
    Hi Dyan, I don’t believe this was mentioned so excuse me if it was. The cabinet that holds my bins as a servo motor installed at the base so I just have to tap the door with my foot and it opens. I love this feature, especially when my hands are full of raw chicken pieces. It was a suggestion from our cabinet maker.
  • Dyan Weis
    Original Author
    5 years ago

N Levine - very nice - I would love that.

• Kim M
    5 years ago

I have a below countertop micro. I am short and always hated pulling hot stuff out over my head. Also, no problem for kids (who are now taller than me anyway).

• skmom
    5 years ago
    Hi there,
    I have a larger family as well (five kids ages 17-21, all still living at home for the meantime) so I also have a busy kitchen. I have a trash compactor in my island instead of a pull out bin and that works great for us! It still gets emptied every 1-2 days, and I use regular trash bags (they’re the heavy duty Costco brand bags, found them to be the strongest) instead of special compactor bags, but without the compactor we were having to empty a full sized kitchen trash can twice a day. Since my compactor gets emptied so regularly, I don’t hesitate to put “stinky” trash in it... most people who use a compactor don’t do that because it might be weeks before it gets emptied... but I really like having a compactor. (I can’t crush it TOO many times though because stuff gets too heavy, and since I don’t shell out for the special compactor bags, the bags break if I try to cram too much into my compactor) I still usually get several crushes in per bag though.
    I also have a regular countertop microwave under the counter in the working side if my island. Like a previous poster mentioned, we don’t use our microwave constantly, and we tend to use the same couple of buttons each time. We don’t find it to be a problem getting stuff in our out, but it is a hassle if you wanted to actually see the digital display, the angle is bad for that. But we don’t need to see it if we are just pushing the same couple of buttons all the time. Now, the countertop microwaves are made to have plenty of air circulation on the sides... my hubby custom designed and diy built all of our cabinetry, and our microwave is just sitting on a shelf area under the island counter, but there is enough open space on each side of the microwave so it gets enough air circulation, we wouldn’t want it fitting snugly inside is my point. We did consider the drawer microwaves, but we just felt that we don’t use any microwave enough to warrant the cost of that. If I had enough room in my small walk in pantry I would’ve rather had the microwave in there, but that wasn’t an option for us, so under the counter has been a great alternative for us. Fwiw, my island trash compactor is directly behind me when I’m standing at my main kitchen sink where I do dishes, it hasn’t been much of a problem at all to turn around to throw stuff away. It was a good compromise to have it there at the island which is also my main prep space.
    Dyan Weis thanked skmom
  • mainenell
    5 years ago
    Full height (no drawer on top) 15” cabinet will take a 50 qt wastebasket.
    Dyan Weis thanked mainenell
  • Dyan Weis
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I have never used a trash compactor. Very interesting!
  • jalarse
    5 years ago
    skmom, I’m with you. We have had a trash compactor in this house and our last house, so 25 years give or take. It is a hard working appliance and I would not be without it.