Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rvillafane1008

Adding a kids room to a 1-BR or turn the walk in closet to a kids room

rvillafane1008
10 years ago
Hello! Hubby and I have a 1-BR apt and our 4 year old needs her own room (or at least a play area). We have an XL twin cabin bed with a book shelf head board in storage and were thinking about turning the walk in closet into her room. I'm just concerned it has no windows :) we thought about rearranging the the room and adding her bed near ours, but we'd like a more separate feel to it, as we won't be able to move to a larger apt for another year. Also, we can't add tracks or build walls :-/ help!
Any ideas or references to links?

Comments (18)

• Allison Burnfield McAteer
    10 years ago
    are you concerned about safety or just the feel. I don't really see how it would be anymore dangerous then sleeping in the room right next to it but others might disagree. as a kid I loved playing and having my own little space. I'm sure a four year old would love it. My son's love playing in our hall closet and other small spaces. Make it cozy with lighting and they will be happy.
  • PRO
    Scott Design, Inc.
    10 years ago
    Consider a loft bed concept. It provides for a bed and room under it for play, storage, desk, etc. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80160867/#/80160867
  • rvillafane1008
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Alison, thanks for your comment. Gives me a little peace of mind :)
  • rvillafane1008
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Scott Design, Inc., I'm afraid that wont fit in our room. I forgot to mention we already have a queen sized bed and frame in the bedroom. Any ideas regarding dividers or sectioning off her bed from ours?
  • PRO
    Scott Design, Inc.
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I was thinking that the bed could be placed above the floor in the walk-in closet and not necessarily in your room. How big is the closet...front to back, left to right?
  • Anne
    10 years ago
    Some cites have codes about having to have two exits in a bed room, door and window.
  • Anne
    10 years ago
    Can you draw a floor plan of your apartment?
  • Laura Ricci
    10 years ago
    I have to chime in and rain on your parade. The reason not to use a closet for a bedroom is that it is not firesafe. Smoke rises, so the top bunk would be more dangerous. And without a window, no fire department can reach someone in the closet from outside. No one makes great decisions in a crisis, and children are especially helpless. I wouldn't do it, but then I refuse to have a live Christmas tree in the house because of the fire hazard.
  • rvillafane1008
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    These were things I considered with turning the walk in closet into her room...what if it were designed as a play room or an area to keep all of her toys and we'd have her bed somehow sectioned off in the same room as ours? Adding a floor plan shortly...
  • rvillafane1008
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I've added the floor plan (forgive my lack of scaling but it's close enough). I've also attached the photo of an example of what I mean by sectioning off my daughters bed from ours. Basically, id like I create a sense of separating our spaces in 1 room and so far, seems like the walk in closet should be the play area.
  • Laura Ricci
    10 years ago
    That would work. Hope you have the good fortune to make this temporary soon.
  • rvillafane1008
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks...me too :-/
  • Anne
    10 years ago
    Making the walk in closet into her play space sounds like a fun idea.
    http://i-cdn.apartmenttherapy.com/uimages/ohdeedoh/2011-estherkim2.jpg Here is a link for some ideas!
  • rvillafane1008
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Wow, I never considered that option. I totally love the idea of having the bed face the window and the divider as well! I'd be happy to get rid of those old end tables anyway :) I'm going with that option...thanks for the fantastic idea!
  • PRO
    Scott Design, Inc.
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    You're welcome. Does your bed have a headboard? It will help to keep the pillows from hitting against the divider. Since this type of divider is light weight and temporary, it will not provide any strength or sound deadening. Since you will be closer to your daughter when sleeping and talking, this may be a problem? So....If you don't mind losing the end tables, your current configuration could also work.

Otherwise, you may want to look at other types of room dividers like tall 10" shelves...two units face into your room and one into your daughter's space. The shelves could take the place of end tables and something on which to attach a wall hung fixture for reading. The middle set of shelves would be for your daughter's stuff. The back side of the other two shelf units would be for hanging all the artwork she brings home or posters/prints.
  • rvillafane1008
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The bed does have a headboard; dark cherry wood. We're only in there to sleep, though I would like spend more time relaxing in there as well. I think it'll work out!
  • wsea
    10 years ago
    we had a similar space constraint when my son was born. we ended up hanging a curtain around his bed to provide a visual seperation. we had the room set up like this for 2 1/2 years until we were able to add more space to our house. if this is a year or less out, that would be a quick cheap way to afford some visual privacy.