Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicole___

What crafts projects are YOU working on this Winter? Hhhhmmmm......

nicole___
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I stenciled boards and mounted candle wall sconces on them for that rustic-primitive look.

Screwed bar handles into a piece of left over granite. Glued little rubber feet on the bottom. I might set perfume bottles on it....or...a cheese ball....

The double pin striping just arrived for the vault door I'm decorating.

What are YOU ALL crafting?

Comments (62)

• User
    5 years ago

Colleen, that’s some really nice work! Very pretty. Ravelry is amazing isn’t it? I’ve spent countless hours looking through patterns and drooling over finished projects.

nicole___ thanked User
  • colleenoz
    5 years ago

Thank you! One of the spin offs is learning and practicing new techniques and another is the camaraderie of our group. Some members don't knit but like to experiment with dyeing and often give away their wool to other members for knitting- the purple sweater was made from wool a fellow member hand dyed and sent me for the cost of postage. I like to make my items as nice as I can; I think that if I wouldn't like an item it's not good enough to send to a person in need who has more than enough problems than to have me add to them by rubbing their nose in their poverty by assuming that "any old thing" is good enough for them. I'd like to think some poor orphan knows that out there a least one person cares enough about them to put in a little effort.

nicole___ thanked colleenoz
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    5 years ago

raven, I agree that the on line tutorials are great for teaching things like crochet. Especially since you can pause them and repeat them as often as you like. They are infinitely patient.

But if you really need someone, look to your local libraries. Around here they all pretty much have a knit/crochet group with very helpful women. Just last week I was re-introducing a gal to knitting...she knit a little as a child with her grandmother but had forgotten.

nicole___ thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • socks
    5 years ago

Finishing hitchhiker scarf. I love the colors on the skein, sort of southwestern, but was surprised at how stripey it works up. Not sure what I was expecting!

Wonderful projects everyone!

nicole___ thanked socks
  • colleenoz
    5 years ago

Love the style of the scarf! And the variegated yarns are always a surprise because the colours pool differently from item to item.

• nicole___
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I love hearing about "and" seeing everyones projects! WOW! Totally awesome group we have here!

Lars...totally jealous you have a new machine. :0)

Lukkiirish....That's a GREAT sconce to work with.

Murraysmom....decorating is YOUR forte!

All the painting....scarves, afghans, knitting, leaf jewelry.....just WOW!!!!

• quasifish
    5 years ago

I also love reading about what everyone is doing and seeing the pictures. There are a lot of talented people here :^)

I'm knitting a lapghan to use up old yarn stash. It's dark green and has cables. After this is finished, my entire remaining yarn stash fits inside one under bed box- yay!

I'm also working on an improvisational quilt, which is just a crazy quilt type quilt that has no rules, just putting it together however it moves me on a given day :) That is put away for the moment though because I have a few other tasks going on that need time and attention and work table space. My current fabric stash does not fit in a single under bed box, however....

nicole___ thanked quasifish
  • chessey35
    5 years ago

I'm working on Project Linus blankets - mostly with some baby hats interspersed in there.

nicole___ thanked chessey35
  • User
    5 years ago

Socks, I really like the way that yarn is stripping, the colors are really fun, which yarn is it?

nicole___ thanked User
  • Alisande
    5 years ago

Rug hooking is still my #1 craft. Last week I finished a nautilus chair pad, and immediately got to work binding the edge with yarn. This was a big deal for me because I have a long history of procrastinating about edge finishing. I was so pleased with the result that I bound the edge of another round mat that I hooked a couple of years ago. (See what I mean about procrastination?)

Unfortunately, all the close work with the yarn and a very long sharp needle while wearing dollar-store reading glasses gave me some serious eye strain and a headache, so my next project will have to wait until I get some prescription glasses.

nicole___ thanked Alisande
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    5 years ago

Still making more project linus blankets and am redoing that black sweater I started...new pattern, different needles and it's coming out *much* better...I'm unraveling all I did on the first one to make the next as I really like the yarn and it was discontinued.

nicole___ thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • socks
    5 years ago

Lukki.....here’s the wrapper. Thanks.

nicole___ thanked socks
  • Rose Pekelnicky
    5 years ago

I have been making some bowling towels for door prizes at our banquet. I buy a large bath towel, cut it into smaller towels and then finish the edges with my serger and do some embroidery on each one.

nicole___ thanked Rose Pekelnicky
  • OklaMoni
    5 years ago

I finally took a couple of pictures. Here is the blue yarn, scarf in progress, and then the red, is the finished scarf that I made a long time ago (mine), that Esther admired, which is why she is going to get the blue scarf. :)

nicole___ thanked OklaMoni
  • murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    5 years ago

Beautiful work, Moni!

nicole___ thanked murraysmom Zone 6a OH
  • colleenoz
    5 years ago

Hey Moni, how much do I have to admire the red scarf for you to knit me one too? I'd be happy to admire it to the moon and back :-D

• OklaMoni
    5 years ago

Colleen, I am so jealous of your proximity to wool. :) and nope, I am not planning on knitting one for you. Sorry. I have known Esther since the mid 90's, and became friends with her around 2000. We both wish we knew when...

• socks
    5 years ago

Alisande, I remember a rug you did for a grandchild. It was under the sea, a turtle? It was gorgeous, just beautiful!

nicole___ thanked socks
  • Alisande
    5 years ago

Aw, thanks for remembering, Socks! Yes, that rug is my favorite of all the pieces I've hooked.

nicole___ thanked Alisande
  • nicole___
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Wow! Wow! Wow! Moni....that yarn is tiny! So GORGEOUS!

Socks....Just beautiful!

Alisande....I'm a turtle nut. That rug just speaks to me! ! ! !

Rose.....really nice work!

• User
    5 years ago

Oooh...Lang has some really nice lines of yarn, good choice. And because it’s cotton, I bet it will drape really nicely when it’s done. Very nice!

Moni, I was working on something similar but the stitches were on a larger scale. I got so frustrated with it I finally put it down for a while. I don’t know if it’s the yarn (which my sister loves) or the pattern but I need to change something. Are you finding the pattern that you’re using to be fairly easy to follow?

nicole___ thanked User
  • skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
    5 years ago

Moni - (or anyone) what is that stitch? Is it crochet work or something else? I've never seen it before. Just beautiful! Excuse my ignorance - I know very little about fiber arts.

nicole___ thanked skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
  • abbisgram
    5 years ago

Beautiful work, everyone. Since I retired 2 years ago I find myself doing less craftwork than when I worked. I don't know why. I think about it but it doesn't happen.

nicole___ thanked abbisgram
  • DawnInCal
    5 years ago

So much skill and talent is on display here. I cant help but think how much fun we could have doing a craft show together! Seeing all of your beautiful work has me wanting to post pics too!

This what I am working on at the moment - fall leaf preserved in resin and paper beads will become a necklace:

These are my most recently completed pieces. Some of you have seen them posted on the daily photo thread a couple of weeks ago:

These are not as recent, but they are one of my favorites. I picked up the shells during a morning walk on Imperial Beach near San Diego:

nicole___ thanked DawnInCal
  • OklaMoni
    5 years ago

I have knitted that pattern in to a blanket once apart of time, then in
    to the scarf, and now, with the tiny size 3 needles in to another
    scarf. I only have the pattern as a picture... It has about 250 stitches... cast on.

• User
    5 years ago

Thanks for the pattern Moni, it’s a beautiful stitch and your work is really beautiful. I actually thought it was crochet!!! I will have to pull out my knitting needles and give it a try!

nicole___ thanked User
  • nicole___
    Original Author
    5 years ago

It's a little dusty, round circles on the photo, from all the sanding on the taping joints inside the vault...but the decor on the outside is complete. Or.....at least for now.

• DawnInCal
    5 years ago

Looks great, Nicole! You have me wondering what else you have up your sleeve...

• nicole___
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Dawn....it's possible to turn one of my photos into a vinyl decal....ya know.....maybe a buffalo? OR a 12"x12" of the goats....?

• DawnInCal
    5 years ago

Ooooooooooooo, I'm likin' it, nicole!

• tami_ohio
    5 years ago

Lots of beautiful work here! I've been knitting, as usual. Socks mostly. A hat here and there. Also some bead work. Pics are in my phone, and my phone won't let me post here for some stupid reason. I'm signed in with it, but all my typing disappears.

nicole___ thanked tami_ohio
  • User
    5 years ago

Those are really beautiful Dawn, I always enjoy seeing your work.

Great job on the safe Nicole! I love it!

nicole___ thanked User
  • DawnInCal
    5 years ago

Thanks so much lukkiirish!

• User
    5 years ago

Rose, your towels made my heart ping. My other used to love to do that with towels for my sisters and I. Every once in a while, we’d get a little something in the mail as a surprise.

nicole___ thanked User
  • Rusty
    5 years ago

Wow! Y'all are making me feel like a real slacker! I haven't done anything crafty for ages now. Well, except a couple of years ago I crocheted a baby blanket that turned into a toddler blanket before I got it done because it took me so long to do it.

Seeing all the gorgeous arts and crafts pictured here make me itch to do something!

Rusty

nicole___ thanked Rusty
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    5 years ago

I have been watching you tube videos on crochet. And reading tutorials.

I will need to buy some supplies. So what is the best size needle and yarn? Does it depend on the project? Probably for my hands a larger size would be easier to handle. I like those big chunky blankets etc.

nicole___ thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • User
    5 years ago

That’s great Raven! Do you have a project in mind? Different projects will call for different sizes of both yarn and hook. Since you’re just starting, I’d go with the I or J hook first. That’s what I started a lady I’m teaching out with too and they were both easy sizes for her to work with. I wouldn’t go much larger than that because the bigger the hook, the larger your stitches will be and it can get messy. I also don’t care to use the bulkier thick yarns because they strain my hands after a while, but if that’s the route you want to try, the N hook is what the few patterns I’ve done have called for.

My favorite inexpensive go to yarn is Hobby Lobby’s I Love This Yarn. The skeins are a good size, there’s lots of colors and it’s a really soft cozy yarn. If you don’t have a Hobby Lobby close by, then something like Lion Brand’s Vanna’s Choice is a good option. I’ve bought that from Joann’s.

As for the hooks, you might notice that there are two different hook styles to choose from. One isn’t really much different than the other, I’ve used both in the past. I discovered these at Joann’s a while back and find them to be much more comfortable to work with because of the rubber wrap. They’re also longer than the standard hooks and I find them to be more comfortable in my hand.

The only other thing I would encourage you to buy at some point would be a little package of stitch markers as they can really come in handy.

Do you have any questions from what you’ve watched already?

nicole___ thanked User
  • bengardening
    5 years ago

Raven I have been crocheting simple patterns that I have found on youtube. Iook for patterns for beginners, or simple or easy ones. I crocheted a pair of slippers and some Kindle covers that I got a blue ribbon on at the county fair. I saw today that they sell crochet hooks at Dollar Tree now.\ OK how do I get rid of the underlining?

nicole___ thanked bengardening
  • bengardening
    5 years ago

O The underlining is gone. I wanted to also say I just started crocheting last year.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    5 years ago

Thanks so much y'all! I will watch more videos. I was thinking just something simple to start like a little lap blanket for my little dog.

nicole___ thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • User
    5 years ago

Once your in the groove, a little lap blanket is a reasonable goal. This pattern below is a good beginners pattern because you can see the stitches in her example and it really won’t matter what size hook you use. It calls for a cotton yarn, but if you don’t want to spend the extra money, you don’t have to. It’s basically just a practice piece to help you learn.

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/beginners-square-ish-washcloth

nicole___ thanked User
  • tami_ohio
    5 years ago

That looks like a good beginner project. Raven, if you want to try that dishcloth, do it in the cotton. Just get one ball of Sugar and Cream, or the Hobby Lobby I Love This Cotton. A size I hook with the ergonomic grip on it and go for it. I know you liked the dishcloths I sent you, and now you can make your own, just in a different pattern! You can even just make a chain and single crochet (sc) back and forth until you have a size you like for a dish cloth. For a dog blanket, just make it bigger. I wish we were headed your way this year. I would get you started, but You Tube is the next best thing, if you can't find anyone to teach you. You might try the library to see if someone offers classes through there, or a senior center. Micheal's or Hobby Lobby or other craft store may also offer classes. Or if you are lucky and there is a local yarn shop, they will have classes.

nicole___ thanked tami_ohio
  • User
    5 years ago

Did I reply to this thread yet? I dunno, but will now just in case: I crochet. I am presently making a baby blanket in grey/offwhite/red (sock monkey colours) for a baby that hasn't been born yet. When that's done I'm making another in either yellow/green/white or purple/grey/white for another baby that hasn't been born yet. Then my grandson was watching me go through some crochet pages on FB and he saw a beautiful almost rainbow blanket done in a waffle stitch and his eyes lit up. "Oma! Can you make me that one?" How can I say no?

nicole___ thanked User
  • lgmd_gaz
    5 years ago

I am in awe of the many and varied talents I am seeing here. I am not a crafter of any kind. Dabbled a little in a few things, but didn't stick with anything long enough to get at least 'comfortable' with my outcomes. Reading/seeing about all the lovely things you all have done, kinda makes me feel disappointed in myself.

Carry on folks and be proud of your accomplishments!

nicole___ thanked lgmd_gaz
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    5 years ago

I found this beautiful multi color yarn on one of the websites I was looking at. Would this kind of yarn be a good kind to try?

• User
    5 years ago

That is Malabrigio Rios, colorway Diana. Malabrigio is a wonderful kettle dyed merino wool and great to work with but it’s expensive. The skeins only have 210 yards and run about 15.50/skein. That kind of yarn is best suited for clothing or accessories. Once you’re on your way with your crochet, it would be a great choice to make something with.

What’s funny though is that out of the thousands of yarns available, you chose the only yarn and colorway that I’ve been eyeing for a long time. I just haven’t found the right project for it yet. I like your style Raven!!!

For someone starting out, the inexpensive acrylic or cotton yarns are really going to be your best option, especially because it will take some practice for you to get used to the stitches and get your tension right.

Also, acrylic yarn is the best choice for Afghans (or lapghans) because the yarn is more boyant, wears well over time and it won’t fuzz up the way wool can.

Just for fun, this link will take you to the information page for Malabrigio Rios in Ravelry. If you click where it says “90.6 K projects” you will be able to see what others have done with this yarn. It’s both knit & crochet but you can filter it to just crochet.

https://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/malabrigo-yarn-rios

And here are the links for I love this Cotton & I love this yarn so you can see what it’s used for too.

https://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/hobby-lobby-i-love-this-cotton

https://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/hobby-lobby-i-love-this-yarn

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    5 years ago

Thank you! I fell in love with the colors! OK I will go for a more appropriate one to start with. Lol. Hopefully I can get out of here this week and maybe get some supplies to try this out. I appreciate all the help y'all have provided! I will likely have more questions!

• User
    5 years ago

Any time Raven, just give a shout out!

• donna_loomis
    5 years ago

I'm working on a Christmas curtain to hang in a doorless doorway. I only work on it one day a week when my sewing buddy comes over. Figured I'd have it done by next Christmas, LO. I have started buying fabric to do a Thanksgiving one, too. But my next project will be a quilt for my youngest grandson. He's picked the colors and I've been designing a block. He's ten years old and his name is Exaiden. We often call him the "X man" and we wanted some X's in the design. I finally finished the design and layout yesterday. This week I'm making a test piece (a group of four blocks) to see if I'm happy with it or if I need to tweak it a bit. Here's the design:

nicole___ thanked donna_loomis
  • bengardening
    5 years ago

I have been working on my rugs and doing a little bit of crocheting. I can't upload the pictures off of my camera, so I will show a picture of one of the first rugs I finished