Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zdenka_miller

Reconfiguring kitchen island

DeZign LLC
5 years ago
Getting ready for a facelift to the kitchen (cabinet paint, granite, backsplash and floors). Would love to also somehow reconfigure the island to provide seating for 4 (vs current 2).
Our only seemingly viable idea is to extend the granite surface by adding 2 legs- out enough to create a seat on either side of the island while keeping the current two seats on the front - as well as current storage space.
Would love other ideas!

Comments (8)

• PRO
    DeZign LLC
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    All kitchen pic
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

Without more pictures, I can tell you this was/is a kitchen more suited to a peninsula. Take more pictures........further back. You don't have clearance for seating on the fridge side of kitchen.

• PRO
    DeZign LLC
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you both!
    This photo is what I’m thinking - including the backless stools that can be pushed in when not used. Do you think it’d be too tight on the sides? The stools would be far enough not to block fridge or dishwasher access.

As far rotating the island: we thought about that. And we do have the room for that. But: in my opinion, to seat 4, it’d have to be a pretty long and would jut out quite a bit past the surrounding perimeter cabinets. Wouldn’t that look weird? (I’ll take a picture from the side when I get home so you can see how the kitchen connects to the living room.
  • AnnKH
    5 years ago

What are your goals for the remodel? Why do you want 4 seats at the island? Will that need change in the next few years (kids growing up.moving away, etc.)? How far away is your dining table?

I agree that you kitchen looks tight for a bigger island.

• yvonnecmartin
    5 years ago

You might consider a butcher-block counter top for the island and then add to each end a fold-down or pull-out table-top. That way the paths can be kept clear for cooking, etc., but the island can be set for in-kitchen dining when desired. With this plan you would still have to find a place for the stools, however.

• PRO
    DeZign LLC
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Here’s a pic from the side. We have plenty of room if we were to rotate the island and do a long one. But: would it look weird sticking out that far into the open space? And, would it be weird to have the seats facing either dishwasher/sink/window side - or cabinets/fridge?
    Kids are small, 4 and 2, so the need for quick casual easy cleanup dining is here for a decade at least. Our dining room is right off the kitchen - but it’s a formal dining room and somehow, we never ever use it for quick weeknight dinners.
    We could consider adding a ‘table’ (table height, not counter-height, yet still covered with the same countertop material, ie granite ) to form a ‘T’ with the island? - I see that a lot. Does that have an official name?
    Thanks everyone!
  • km kane
    5 years ago
    Turn it length wide so it can be longer and extend into the next room. If you have a dining area you may not need seating there But we don’t eat at our island so I’m probably not much help