Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nmontazeri

Help with honey cabinets

Nicole Montazeri
5 years ago

Hi everyone, I just bought this house and would love any advice about how to update the look a bit. These are photos from the real estate photos so all the belongings are the previous owner. I don't have a ton of money for updates right now but I'm mainly looking at 1) New paint wall color 2) Maybe painting the trim of doors/windows white 3) Maybe a new stain color for the cabinets and finally 4) I'd love ideas to update lighting. There is a sunlight right where I'd like to have a light fixture over the kitchen dining area, so I don't know how to deal with that.

mudroom/laundry room

Kitchen:

Family room (there is no living room)

Master Bath

Master bedroom

Comments (41)

• Nicole Montazeri
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Thanks so much for your input! I do like the wood, it just seems to have an orange tint that bothers me. I was thinking if I change the trim it wouldn't quite be so overwhelming. Once I see it all cleared out from the previous owners belongings that might help a ton. Also, the wood is in great condition and practically brand-new. Another reason, I 'd consider working with it if I can figure it out :)

• CM Patrick
    5 years ago

Your home really is beautiful. I'd like to make some suggestions but first, what is your style? What kind of furniture and art pieces do you already have for your space? What are some colors you love and colors you hate? Also, have you created an ideabook on houzz? That would be a great start.

Nicole Montazeri thanked CM Patrick
  • Nicole Montazeri
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Wow! Super grateful for your willingness to help! So I lean towards things that are transitional, eclectic and sometimes rustic. We really don't have any furniture yet for he living room other than our rug. Below is a picture of our rug (it is my husband's family rug so it is a must keep). we don't have the other furniture. I have lots of idea books, but they were all for my old house. The way this one looks kinda like a cabin has me a bit stumped for decor. I really don't have design instincts but absolutely love to be in a space that feels comfy, bright, and clean. I don't like industrial or modern in general.

I love blues. It is actually the only color I like besides neutrals. I do like when I see other pops of color that are bright and fun, but I always gravitate toward blues.

• Nicole Montazeri
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I have the measurements of the living room. It is 19'6'' in length and 13'5'' in width. My most immediate need will be a couch (we sold the white ones that did not work with our three young boys!) I'm really at a loss as to where to put it in the living room and what size/color to get. the room feels long/narrow so I was thinking I would get a long couch to point toward the fireplace as the focal point of the room. I would also love to have a round chair in near the bay window. There is one at z galleria I live now https://www.zgallerie.com/p-10166-cuddler-chair.aspx

I would love to get it in blue, but thinking maybe I should do something neutral to play it safe. The long couch I'm thinking about is the from casco bay and is the "cloud" http://cascobayfurniture.com/pages.php?pID=225&CDpath=0_11

but I'm at a loss for size and color to pick. If I can't leave the wood as is and invest in the right furniture to make the house feel less orange to me, I would be very happy. Although I do like the feeling of cabins, we live near the coast and I'm looking for something a bit brighter and lighter than it feels now. All suggestions welcome!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

it's really difficult to offer advice when we look at stretched photos from the listing, and the sellers furniture. Plus, you've posted 5 rooms! It's a lot of advice for one post.

Can you post pictures, good pictures, of what it currently looks like and any of YOUR furniture?

Lets start w/just the kitchen and eat in area. Do you have a dining table? If not, what kind do you want? if you pick something like what's in the photo, then I would say that's a ton of wood. You said you don't like the 'orange tone'. That's usually from the top coat that has ambered over time.

Only way to get rid of it is to completely strip the wood and redo it. way too much work.

as for your cabs, they look like maple or birch.

You mention staining them. Have you ever finished a large wood project? Redoing those cabinets would be an insane amount of work. I refinish wood and even I wouldn't tackle that. (and really, staining them again wouldn't get you much difference. that type of wood is very difficult to take a darker stain color).

you're near the coast and love blue? This would be beautiful in your kitchen (and save up to replace your countertops and do a blue glass backsplash)

remove both of those track lights and replace w/pendants over the island. (you may have to make a few more holes or get 2-3 lights on one canopy). for the sink, do you really need a pendant? if not, just put in another recessed.

speaking of recessed lights, the white trim kits around your lights against the wood ceiling are so noticeable. Look at some different trim kits that are thinner. (see above) or get them in a darker shade to blend w/the wood.

and if you're wondering what it would look like painted white:

This is gorgeous. You could do the island in this darker blue w/a butcher block, white cabs on the other w/ a new quartz countertop

Nicole Montazeri thanked Beth H. :
  • Nicole Montazeri
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Beth, yes, I totally appreciate that you can't advise on all the rooms. My original post was really looking for thoughts about painting the trim white (hence my post of all the pictures and for just more of a sense of the house in general) Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of my own furniture because it is in storage and we're moving in. My main focus and request is about things I can possibly do on a low budget and should do before I bring in my own furniture. I thought it would be great to paint before we get moved in. I was thinking about doing the cabinets but based on what you're saying I guess that isn't realistic. All I can do right now is manage lighting changes and paint. I'm really tempted to paint the cabinets, but my husband isn't on board with that right now. I really appreciate all the pictures you posted, they are tremendously helpful to think about possibilities. I really appreciate your comments on the lighting. That seems like a great place for me to start!

• Nicole Montazeri
    Original Author
    5 years ago

And I don't have access to the house yet (1 more week) to post any non-stretched photos. But, as soon as I'm there I can take some and post. I was just hoping to get some painters hired straight away before we move our stuff in.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

Personally, I'm not a fan of wood trim work on baseboards and often on windows/doors. It all depends on the overall look. You have so much wood in there, that I think doing white trim work would really lighten the wood-load. And since you're near the coast and not a log cabin, it would work better.

In your laundry room, I'd paint everything white and do a nice coastal color on the walls. Let me know if you'd like to tackle those cabs yourself. I have the best link for how to paint cabinets. She is very detailed and tells you exactly what to do. those oak cabs in there are nothing special. Ditto the wood trim.

If you guys are handy, you could bring in some cool tile (Still talking about the laundry room).

since you're on a budget, always check craigslist for items you may need. tile, flooring, wood, remnant countertops, stone, lighting, appliances, etc. I have scored some unbelievable deals from there

if you'd just like to paint the walls for now (laundry room) this blue looks beautiful w/oak

Nicole Montazeri thanked Beth H. :
  • Nicole Montazeri
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I really love that blue! I didn't think about starting with painting the laundry room only. My husband isn't excited about painting the cabinets in general, so that might be a place to get him warmed up to the idea. Thanks again for your help. And I love your suggestions on the lighting! I'm definitely going to change out the recessed light for something less noticeable, get rid of the tracks and add the pendants. Thanks for the great pics!!

• cat_ky
    5 years ago

I love all your wood and wood trim. Your house is beautiful. I have never understood, though, why anyone puts that yellow paint or anything with yellow tints, when you have all that honey wood. Thats the worst color anyone could use. Actually, you say, you like blues. Blues, aqua's, and greens, will look fantastic in your house. Congratulations on your new home. Please do not paint any of that trim white. It is very nice just the way it is.

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    5 years ago

I don't see any point in using your resources and time to paint the cabinets in the laundry room and certainly not in the kitchen. Cabinets are notoriously difficult to paint properly. I agree that any of the blue/greens would be lovely on your walls. (The BM Mt. Saint Anne posted above is one of my favorites). See how nice the green wall in the master bedroom is? Also, in the master the base molding is already white, so the window trim in there would be a good place to start to see if you like it. It is ok to have the trim painted in some rooms and not in others. I would worry that 3 little boys running in and out of the doors in the eating area would be hard on white trim.

The couch you posted has lots of pillows that look like they would be slipping and sliding all over the place! Look for a sofa in one of the sturdy fabrics like Sunbrella or Revolution. I like your idea of placing it facing the FP. If there are no outlets in the living room floor, perhaps you could place the sofa slightly toward the left wall so you could have an end table with a lamp over there for the sofa. It would eliminate traffic around that side but it is always good to have lamps for lighting rather than just overhead. Your new home is beautiful! Good luck and have fun.

• Nicole Montazeri
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Wow, all these comments have been way more helpful than I ever imagined! Yes, my boys are not gentle on things at all. Although I had really wanted to get any painting done before we get in the house, I’m now leaning to 1) tackling the walls and getting rid of the cream/yellow tints 2) updating the lighting and 3) some key furniture piece purchase. Once I get settled and can supply better pictures and a more “one room at a time” ask, I will come back to this thread so you can see my progress :) so, so grateful for folks taking the time.
  • CM Patrick
    5 years ago

nmontazeri I think white walls are the way to go. With other white elements in the space like the coffee and end tables, your room will feel breezy while balancing the warm and cozy colors of the flooring, rug, and couch. I would also change the color of the recessed light to match the ceilings and live with the trim for a few weeks before painting.

advice · More Info

• awm03
    5 years ago

CM Patrick beat me to it. I too suggest white walls.

Your woodwork is the main design element of your beautiful new home, and it works all apiece. If you start painting bits of it here and there, the rest of it is going to look off. As for the medium tone of the wood, it must be coming back in style as I'm seeing more & more of it in the design magazines & sites, often paired with white.

I suggest taking a look at Benjamin Moore's Chantilly Lace. It's a crisp, modern, bright white with enough warmth & softness that it won't leave you cold. It works really well with yellow/orange woods. If you google it, you'll see it works with those wood colors. Chantilly Lace on the walls, your furniture, & colorful contemporary accents all with your fabulous woodwork will make your home fresh again.

• wednesday morning
    5 years ago

It is lovely just the way it is!! Why do anything other than to move in and enjoy living there?

Our time passes much too quickly to spend it solving problems that don't exist.

You have a lovely place to live. Your mudroom/laundry is better appointed than are most kitchens.

Or, paint a wall, if you feel that it would make you happy to do something to it.

But, to paint that trim or stain those cabinets? Why on earth would you want to do that? To do anything at all to the wood in your house would be ill advised and entirely unnecessary.

• Nicole Montazeri
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Wednesday morning- thanks for the feedback. I think because I don’t really have experience design-wise to figure out how to tone done the Orange color was my main rationale. However after hearing all the feedback and seeing all the awesome sketches it helps me see the space in a totally different way. I’m super excited about the house :) and I’m so grateful for those of you with design-eyes to help it come to life! CM I love your sketch!

I’m going to go pick up a sample of Benjamin Moore chantilly lace and put it up. I have access to the house on Wednesday and will be cleaning mostly to start. I’m going to get an electrician on deck for changing out the recessed cans and ready to install lighting once I get it ordered. So this is where I am so far: 1) electric, change cans, ditch track lighting, replace with recessed over the sink, two medium sized pendants over the island, need to figure out dining area lighting 2) paint walls white and live in the space for a bit 3) new living room art and furniture (using ideas sketches out). Thanks so very much!! This sound much more doable on my budget than my original plan :)
  • junco East Georgia zone 8a
    5 years ago

Talk with the electrician about the best type of light bulbs to use to tone down the yellow. The big box stores have display units which show you the type/color of light put out by various bulbs.

• jhmarie
    5 years ago

I like your new home and think it is quite pretty:)

I noticed that the baseboards are already white and so is some of the door trim. In my home I have white baseboards and door and window trim, but stained interior doors and cabinets. I would probably complete the white paint on the trim. That is not necessary, but I do like the trim in an area to match, and since some is already white, I would paint the rest of the trim. I like having both white and wood as it gives me the option to chose either when adding other elements and keeps the area from being too woody or too cold.

I have a wood kitchens idea book that has both newer and older, refreshed kitchens. It might give you some ideas of colors that look good with wood.

https://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/75202366/list/wood-kitchens

One thing i noticed - if this was my home I would look to move the TV in the living room down from the fireplace and put it at eye level on a wall with media console underneath. That TV which I realize is not yours, is too large for the space and it should be at eye level for comfort despite what one sees in design photos.

• Nicole Montazeri
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks, jh marie, yes there are a mix of paint vs. wood which is a bit odd. I would like to have the TV down but with the measurements I have, I don’t think a TV will fit in between the bay window and the fireplace. I’m afraid if I put it on the other wall it will be a competing focal point....once I get in I’ll be able to play some more!
  • CM Patrick
    5 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>nmontazeri Just an idea for your kitchen with freshly painted white walls, maybe replace some upper kitchen cabinet door panels with glass to break up the color of wood and display some pretty dishes. BTW you can edit my sketches. I added you on as a collaborator. I mean... it is your house
  • CM Patrick
    5 years ago

second try

advice · More Info

• Nicole Montazeri
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I was just trying to figure out how to do it! I need to play with it. Thanks so, so much!! love your style. Can I click on the various images to see where they are from? I figured out where the plates are from, but can't figure out where the lights are from. I really like them.

• mandy_redworth
    5 years ago

congrats on you new beautiful home. I would suggest living in there a bit bf making major changes like changing the wood trim/cabinets. I was too anxious when I first bought my condo and as a little time went by, I found things I liked even more. Painting walls white would be nice & love the rug - goes great w all the wood! If you have can lights and want to save money. Use instant pendant lights, way cheaper than having an electrician change them I did and love them. I used square led lights in the hall cans. Love them - cheap too! Good luck! The first one below is what I used then bought lovely double chiffon shades for them. Gorgeous!

O

Nicole Montazeri thanked mandy_redworth
  • Nicole Montazeri
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Very good advice Mandy, I was weighing getting things done pre-move in. Particularly with paint and the walls since I have small kids. I am going to do the walls white before we get in just to expedite things but I'm taking the advice here and leaving the trim. Great idea about the instant pendants but the position doesn't look like it will likely work over the island.

• User
    5 years ago

It’s a beautiful home! I agree with not painting cabinets. You could paint the trim but I think it works very well with your home as is. I like the idea of white for the walls. Please do post updates pics along the way.

Beth - I’m interested in reading her way of painting cabinets if you wouldn’t mind sharing.

Nicole Montazeri thanked User
  • PRO
    Elizabeth Minish Design
    5 years ago

So many great suggestions already, including my main one which is not to get carried away changing things BEFORE you move into a new space. You almost always end up with the best results if you give your self time to get to know the space first. The house has many lovely features and wood is certainly the star. It would be very difficult (and expensive) to change the colour of the stain so save your money for decorating. You will get way more bang for your buck.

Your plan to refresh the paint everywhere in white is sound, just don't go to stark you will run the risk of having it look like primer and of making your existing tile look dirty. Chantilly Lace is a true white and may be unnecessarily crisp around all that wood. BM OC-17 White Dove is an off-white that would be a reasonable compromise.

I'm glad you're getting excited by the possibilities. CM Patrick's suggestion for furniture to go with that lovely rug are right on the money. Blue will be beautiful with all the wood and using it as an accent colour throughout will connect the whole space.

Best wishes as you move to your lovely new home!

Nicole Montazeri thanked Elizabeth Minish Design
  • Nicole Montazeri
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks so very much everyone for helping arm me with information and resources. Two cheers to CM Patrick who even went so far as to create a collaborative idea book with me!! So grateful! Elizabeth, I am definitely heading the wisdom to live in the space aside from painting the walls. I figure if I go wrong there at least it is a relatively easy fix and the benefit of doing it prior to moving in to me is huge. I'm going to check out the BM OC-17 White Dove and see how it looks. I'm going to get a few samples this weekend. Thanks so very much for your expert advice!

• jayapple21
    5 years ago

What a fantastic house! Looking at the kitchen/dining area photo, there IS a lot of wood tone in that part of the house. Live with it for a bit but consider painting the island (only the island) the same white as the walls. I think it would lighten and brighten that whole area. You could go to the Dollar Tree and buy a roll of white wrapping paper for $1 (lol), tape it to the island, and then stand back and see if you'd like the feeling a white island would give to the space. Or you could paint the island a darker color but then it would become the dominant thing that your eye catches first as you walk into the room which might be fine. Same advice: try taping some fabric or poster board to the island to see if you'd like a change of color before you actually do anything to it.

The rug is definitely a keeper and it will look great in your new house! Happy husband...

Nicole Montazeri thanked jayapple21
  • Cheryl Hannebauer
    5 years ago

>>following >>.

• Amanda Smith
    5 years ago

Beautiful house. I’m glad you’re not thinking of painting the wood. Wood is making a comeback, I’m happy to see. And a lot of painted wood just Looks tacky and cheap. You might want your handyman to clean and polish the wood for a refresh.

Nicole Montazeri thanked Amanda Smith
  • Nicole Montazeri
    Original Author
    5 years ago

HI Jayapple, awesome idea about wrapping the island and see how color options might work.

Cheryl-- Glad to have you following my journey :) I'll post follow-up pics.

Amanda-- Thanks so much for your encouragement about keeping the wood. It feels good now.

• Cheryl Hannebauer
    5 years ago

https://www.houzz.com/user/nmontazeri

we are just finishing up a new build, go look at my page, idea books, new build-gabe.. we have T&G fir ceilings & alder doors & window trim & baseboards.. I went with a creamy paint color, (from Coverdale, Canadian co) in the main spaces.

• Nicole Montazeri
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Hi There, I just wanted to post an update. We're moved into the new house and here are some non-stretched photos of the living room which I've decided to focus on. I did get all the painting done. I ended up going with simply white (Benjamin Moore) with the baseboards in Decorator's White.

Doris Pics · More Info

Doris Pics · More Info

I have ordered the style couch below but in a large sectional and in a different color (Echo Pebble Taupe)

Madison style:

I'm going to order https://www.zgallerie.com/p-10166-cuddler-chair.aspx for the back corner where the bookcase is currently.

Hopefully once those pieces are in place I can think more about side tables and a coffee table. I do have one question for the group. I got a lot of mixed feedback about keeping the wood trim vs. painting it. Now living in the home, I actually like the wood. What I don't like is that there is a mix of painted white and wood. The windows and interior trim of exterior doors are all wood and all the baseboards and interior doors have white paint. Does that change opinions? If you moved into a home with mixed white painted and stained wood trim, would you just paint it all white?

• Nicole Montazeri
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Here’s another example of how mismatched the trims are.
  • Sonya Oden
    4 years ago
    I would definitely paint everything white if it was mismatched. That is crazy!
  • Nicole Montazeri
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Sonya, thanks for the response. It seems like an easier decision now, but expensive. I am also worried about my kids chipping the paint :/
  • Sonya Oden
    4 years ago
    Yeah we have 2 kids and 2 dogs so I get it!! If you can live with it then leave it for now :). You can always do it later!
  • SapphireStitch
    4 years ago

I love the look of stained wood trim. I wish the previous owners of your house had been consistent with their choice of trims because it would make your life a lot easier now!

A good paint job on trim with good paint and thorough prep work will hold up pretty well even with kids driving toy cars into it, etc. But that's an expensive paint job if you pay someone to do it, and a time-consuming and still not cheap job if you do it yourself.

If you can stand to live with the trim as-is it might be a good idea to wait till you have more funds on hand. If you had more money to put toward it, you could even have the painted trims removed and matching wood trim installed all over the house. That would suit the character of your house best, IMO.

• Nicole Montazeri
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Thanks again everyone. I definitely can live with it. Frankly I wouldn’t have even realized it had my friend who is a designer pointed it out. I think I’m going to prioritize furnishing the space and getting some decor up.
Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath