Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shellstones

floor covering dilemma

shellstones
5 years ago

Suggestions please for new floor in guest bath w/washer dryer area off the kitchen. This is one room that will serve a dual purpose. New floor will continue into kitchen. I've looked at wide plank luxury

vinyl' Pergo ultra and wood look plank tile.

Please advise

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Lauren Jacobsen Interior Design
    5 years ago

The only issue with installing wood under a washer is that if it leaks, the wood plank floor will buckle and have to be replaced. If this happens after a year you may not be able to find the plank wood again or the new wood you replace will not match the old wood already down due to change in color from light. You could perhaps look at the wood grain tile as an option. Or, stop the different floor covering at the door threshold if you have one. Something to think about.

shellstones thanked Lauren Jacobsen Interior Design
  • PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    5 years ago

What other flooring is in the home? If you have real wood floors anywhere stay away from faux wood products. Vinyl is perfectly fine in a laundry room, but make sure to buy some extra in case there are issues and it is discontinued later.

shellstones thanked Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
  • Moxie
    5 years ago

I have a bath and laundry closet off the kitchen. The kitchen has hardwood floors that match the 1952 hardwood in the rest of the house. I ripped out ceramic tile, because it's cold and hard to stand on for any length of time. The installer did an amazing job toothing in the wood to make it look original. The bath and laundry closet have ceramic tile. There's a floor drain in the laundry closet in case of leaks. I wouldn't change a thing. On the other hand, I'd love to rip out every scrape of vinyl flooring in the basement.

shellstones thanked Moxie
  • Kitty Lanier
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I had porcelain tile in my laundry room in a previous house, and I found it to be cold in winter, hard on my feet, legs and knees. We had luxury vinyl tile put in the laundry and kitchen in our current home. I had to reseal the porcelain tile grout periodically, but with the vinyl, I just damp mop with a microfiber mop. I love it!

We are going to replace oak parquet and carpet in our home with an SPC (stone polymer core) plank flooring which is more durable than the wood polymer composite or other vinyl flooring. I wish it had been available when we did the floors in our laundry and kitchen.

If you decide on vinyl, be sure to get some sturdy furniture cups for your washer and dryer. I found some nice ones at Lowe’s that protect the flooring and also make it easier to move the washer and dryer out for cleaning behind them.

Good luck in your floor search.

shellstones thanked Kitty Lanier
  • shellstones
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you x ten.!

J

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations