Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

My first order of 2019

Today I reserved a 5 gallon container of one of my favourites: "Olsen Frosted Strawberry"

Comments (15)

• David (N.E. Georgia, zone 8a)
    5 years ago

I really like that one, I just wish the nursery near me had one.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

That's a beautful little tree but far too "pink" for me :-)

I seldom have any on my wish list but just see what looks good and calls out to me when I vist the nursery. And because I am cheap and have too many JM's already I tend to stay with pretty small starts and my local nursery usually has a pretty wide selection available in 1G's and sometimes smaller (last year scored a 4" starter pot of 'Peve Starfish'!!). Since I have very few redleafed forms in my collection, I will be considering which of these I need to add :-) Will do a 'Fire Glow' if I can find one in that size.

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

a beautful little tree

I am intrigued as to the how large this 5 gallon nursery specimen will be as mine shown below has grown less than a foot in height in 4 years!

but far too "pink" for me

I thought that also 'gg' but this pinkiness (sp?) happens in the spring when I am starved for colour after a long white winter and a dreary blah March and into April i.e.

And then by mid summer it has morphed to green.

(I have pre-ordered another as the one in the picture has sustained (too?) much rabbit damage. Oh I do dislike those creatures..grrr)

Will do a 'Fire Glow'

As I recall you FG is one of your favourites. How slow growing is it? What is its optimal light situation? Hardiness?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

Rouge, In your climate, it might get as much as 6'....in mine closer to 8'. But after a good many years :-) And any pink is too much pink for me!! I already have a reticulated JM - Aka Shigatatsu Sawa - so not sure I need another. But all the reticulated JM's I have seen are very attractive little trees. I had a Baby Ghost in my old garden that was given to me by the breeder personally (Talon Buchholz) maybe 20 years ago now........I do miss that little gem!!

Yep, I really like Fire Glow and include it often in my designs.....but I have never owned one myself. I try to site this where it will be backlit by late afternoon sun - that coppery-red color of the leaves is really showcased by that situation. But it can tolerate a full sun position well and maintain good coloring. It is a scaled down version of Bloodgood (but with better coloring, IMO) so a vigorous, hardy tree that will be unlikely to ever get taller than 15'.

Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Rouge, In your climate, it might get as much as 6'.

Well unless this 5 gallon replacement is close to 4 feet tall I might not be around to see its full potential ;).

This season I will keep an eye out for a FG.

• David (N.E. Georgia, zone 8a)
    5 years ago

I know I really adore my Fire Glow, I'm thinking about adding another one to my front yard as my other one is in the back yard.

Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

UPDATE: The grower was kind enough to send me a picture of the 5 gallon specimen. I think I will decline the purchase...too tall and skinny with those 'interesting' two....arms at the top ;).

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    4 years ago

Picked up a small 'Tamukeyama' for $16.00 at my local greenhouse, thought it would make for a nice container plant on the deck, climate is tooo cold for inground plantings of Japanese maples :(

Really want a 'Ruby Stars' JM, apparently hard to come by in Canada and what places do offer it do not ship ... frustrating, lol.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Really want a 'Ruby Stars' JM,

I had an in ground planted RS a few years ago but it didn't survive its first winter for me :(.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Picked up a small 'Tamukeyama'

Is this your first JM?

tooo cold for inground plantings

And yet you can purchase JMs in your area (even though the climate doesnt allow for their survival)?

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    4 years ago

Rouge, yes, some places bring in a japanese maples and folks either use them as expensive annuals or occasionally keeping them over in cold storage during winter. I had one for several years, though made the mistake of allowing it to dry out too much while being stored and it perished.

Had you enjoyed 'Ruby Stars' while it has lasted? I really do like the look of its foliage and compact growth habit well suited for containers. I think I need to move to BC zone 6 (or higher) and start my collection :)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

Try looking for the Ruby Star under its registered name, Beni Hoshi. That is the correct name rather than the anglicized version.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    4 years ago

Thanks for that gardengal ... yesterday, I received my 'Ruby Stars' / 'Beni Hoshi' from Phoenix Perennials, beautiful thing it is!

Original Author
    4 years ago

From bright red a month ago to now this:

I love how JMs change colour through spring, summer and of course Fall.