Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_27330420

Is this a good hardware choice for our vanity?

User
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We're interested in Emtek's new Jasper hardware in chrome. We need six 5" pulls and two knobs for our vanity. Pulls will be centered on the 15" drawers.

Our home is what I call casual traditional/transitional. This is for a man's bathroom. The counter is a white granite and the shower will be a large format porcelain tile.

Our vanity is this sink base with two 16" side drawer stacks.

We have this light fixture.

This faucet and matching shower valve cover.

I had hoped to go a little more traditional with the pulls but our first choice isn't available in the length and projection we need and I don't see any other Emtek pulls I like. They are a good price for a solid brass pull so I'm trying to stay in that brand. I like to repeat some elements in the lighting, faucets, and cabinet hardware. Jasper repeats the straight bar of the lights threaded through a cylinder. It has a round base but not as traditional as the faucets.

If you think the pulls will work, which knob would you select for the doors?

Emtek Jasper

Comments (16)

• User
    5 years ago

Well now, mayflowers coming for advice instead of advising...excellent! You've helped so much since I've been visiting here, thanks. That being said, I have to vote no. I love the Jasper pulls and knobs, it looks excellent with the fixture, but I don't think it works well with the sink hardware. If the sink hardware was more angular, it would fly, but the faucet and handles are too curvy for Jasper to look right.

Now, staying with Emtek, how about the Westwood pulls?

https://emtek.com/cabinet-pulls/westwood-pull

A little more curvy than ideal, but a nice play on the handles.

For the knobs, perhaps Glendon?

https://emtek.com/cabinet-knobs/glendon-knob

With the round Glendon, the play on the stepped areas of the faucet and handles works well, and the round shape plays to the curves. The stepping also ties to the fixture. Plus, round pulls rule...I bought square, and will always buy a completely symetrical knob in future.

User thanked User
  • User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Would you believe Westwood was our first choice??!! But the projection is only 1 1/8" and the pull has to sit on the narrow drawer face between the stiles and rails. I don't think there's enough room for fingers. We tried one of our other pulls and it was tight. Jasper is 1 3/8".

Here's a photo of what the top drawer looks like.

I remember you picking out your shower accent tile and the granite. It's so much work to make everything coordinate. We have to decide on tile in two weeks and I've had so many samples home they cut me off!

• AJCN
    5 years ago

The stain on that cabinet is really pretty.

I concur the comment above about how helpful you have been to so many on this forum, including with my own kitchen and bath remodels and my DD's remodel that I helped him on.

Is the hardware a matte black or ORB? Since it's going into a man's bathroom, I think matte black hardware would look really nice. I have matte black on a stained alder storage/laundry cabinet in my bathroom and it looks really nice IMO.

If you like the cabinet hardware, could you change the faucet so that it has more staight-ish lines?

If you decide to use that hardware line, I like the knob that is all the way to the left because the detail on it will look nice from the front, and it looks like it will be the one most comfortable on the hand. Hopefully you were able to visit a showroom to feel it for yourself.

Recently I helped my Dad remodel his house and we installed stained alder cabinets in all the bathrooms. We put matte black cabinet hardware, chrome faucets, and then repeated the black matte in the lighting fixures. The chrome was repeated in the shower fixtures. Repeating the stright-ish lines in the lighting fixture accomplishes the repeat-thing, but I think then the faucet has to be more square. My Dad put Delta Dryden faucets. They are more square-ish. But it's a vacation rental/vacation house and we were going for middle range priced fixtures. The Dryden might not be something you like. Maybe there is another one that is a little more square, but not too modern that you like.

• AJCN
    5 years ago

Oh, I mistunderstood because I saw that picture with the black hardware in it. In that case, forget everything I said about the color black!

I remember your bathroom, so pretty. Can't wait to see what you do with this one.

• User
    5 years ago

Sorry to be late commenting, real life causes issues sometimes. If there is a concern about space to use the pulls, perhaps dual knobs are a better choice?

User thanked User
  • User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The drawer is too narrow at 15". I'm thinking about going with the Westwood. The place where we bought our vanity sells Emtek and I'm going to see if they have a sample. You only really pull with your fingertips and I was wrapping my fingers around the pull that we sampled on the drawer front so my knuckles were hitting the bottom edge of the rail (top trim piece of the drawer front).

• User
    5 years ago

Would Bylthe give enough extra space? The octagonal stack doesn't fit as well, but it will be somewhat recessed.

https://emtek.com/cabinet-pulls/blythe-pull

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Too bad the base is so ornate. The one thing I'm trying to keep consistent is the base because the lighting, faucet and shower cover, and towel bars all have a round base.

• Nancy in Mich
    5 years ago

I appreciate North Texan's point about the faucet, and I would agree if your Jasper pulls had any squared-off, flat surfaces. But they don't. The pulls are round rods. I think that what you have chosen works well together.

As for knobs, I am tempted to say to go with the "T" shape on the right, but I foresee the possibility to catch loose clothing on them. (I have what they call poor proprioception and run into walls and things, so get clothing caught on hook-like handles and pulls that have the end protruding past the post, so I am sensitive to that!) If that might be a problem, go with the middle knob. If the knobs will be mounted so low that they can't catch on belt loops and pocket edges, then the one on the right may be just fine.

I, too, join the chorus of those thanking you for all the help you have given to me!

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for thanking me for the help over the years! Makes me want to stick around a little despite frustrations with Houzz!

The finger pulls would go on the sink base doors and since we have a panel at the top of the sink base, pulling won't be a problem. But I think the knob on the left would mimic the flattened areas of the light and the faucet handles and the common round base of the other hardware. We might do penny tile so the left knob would mimic the circles too. DH likes the middle knob but I'm persuasive.

So I'm seeing more similarities now with Jasper and might choose it since I also want a 5" pull. I know I sound too fussy and detail-oriented. Most people wouldn't even think about these things!

• User
    5 years ago

Nancy, I agree that the Jasper works well with the light fixture, and it is tubular, but without the curves, that's were I felt it was maybe not the best match for the faucets. That being said, you are much more experienced than I in commentary and remote evaulation, so I bow respectfully to your graceful repudiation, I didn't consider the bigger picture! So sorry if I mislead you, mayflowers!

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

You haven't misled me at all! I am still pondering. I appreciate your input. :)

• Nancy in Mich
    5 years ago

North Texan, I am not experienced at all. Just a homeowner giving an opinion that carries no more weight than any other homeowner. I was simply voicing a different opinion, not saying that yours was not valid. I just wanted to add my view.

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Success! We found another pull that is almost like the Westwood but with a 1 1/2" projection in the 5" size we wanted. We got a knob similar to the one we liked out of the group of three in my OP that matches the pull. Thanks for everyone's help!

• sunfeather
    4 years ago

I'm curious about the pulls in the photo on your second post. The ones with the thing in the middle. I'm confused about pulls and knobs and where to use... pulls on doors or drawers and vice versa.

Would love to see your finished project.