Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meredith_puopolo

Kitchen Backsplash Help Needed

Meredith Puopolo
5 years ago
We are finishing up our kitchen remodel. Our counters are Cambria Berwyn. They look very dark in pictures but are much lighter and sparkly in real life. At first we wanted to do a simple subway backsplash but then found an arabesque marble tile that we loved. Our backsplash space is limited- only 40 square feet needed of tile. Which direction should we lay the arabesque tile? The typical way or horizontal? Also, if you think this tile is a big no to mix with the Berwyn countertop please let me know. I have attached pictures of the tile in different directions as well as the only areas in our kitchen that we would put the backsplash on.

Comments (26)

• Nick Platt
    5 years ago
    When you cut the tile at the counter and the cabinets which layout works best?
  • waverly6
    5 years ago

No. I like the typical regular way. I keep wanting to turn my head sideways when looking at the other choice. You are already choosing a very decorative tile. No need to take it in another direction. ( literally!). Enjoy your kitchen. It looks beautiful.

• Brown Dog
    5 years ago

Go for the direction on the right side in your photo. It will be a little busy, but will look beautiful!

• lefty47
    5 years ago

HI -- I think it is going to be too busy .... is there a bigger size of that same style tile . Perhaps the bigger size will look and be less busy , My other concern is ,,, what is the inches height from counter to cabinets ,,,it should be 18 inches . Do you have that because it looks too short in the photo .

• drdeb1234
    5 years ago
    Lots of “my backsplash is too busy” dilemmas here on Houzz.
    Not a lot of “my backsplash is too plain” dilemmas.
    I’d go with something less busy.
  • Irene Morresey
    5 years ago
    Hmmmm might be a bit busy, some inspiration
  • User
    5 years ago
    What color are cabinets?
  • User
    5 years ago
    I don’t think it will be busy.
  • Irene Morresey
    5 years ago
    Actually seeing it in above pic, it looks lovely
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

My rule is that when the counters are busy the backsplash is simple.

That arabesque tile would be too busy IMO.

What doesn't anyone every select an 18" x 18" tile?

• chispa
    5 years ago

I don't think the shape of the tile is a problem. The problem is the material of the tile. I would look for a ceramic (plain or crackle) tile or glass arabesque tile.

• Angel 18432
    5 years ago

Don't do it. It's too busy. Go for something simple. The colors may go, but it's too busy.

• zimmer
    5 years ago
    Go for it! just have it installed in the ‘regular way’ and pick a grout colour that blends
  • gustaruygers
    5 years ago
    Pointed side up . Will be gorgeous.
  • Meredith Puopolo
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    So far, so good. We have put the grout yet but I’m happy with the results. Thanks for all the advice.
  • Angel 18432
    5 years ago

Doesn't look like the tile you were showing us above. Did you choose something else?

• Jora
    5 years ago

Looks the same to me. Beautiful! Can I ask about your light fixtures?

• Meredith Puopolo
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Jora- The lights I got off Amazon but saw them first at Lamps Plus. It comes in the silver, a blue/green, or a bronze. I can’t figure out how to post a link from Amazon here but here’s the description in the picture. And a close up picture from my kitchen. Everyone who comes over loves the lights. So sparkly.
  • jbtanyderi
    5 years ago
    Run the tile vertically (the one on the right. The only place you need the tile is the width of the stove: paint everything else. The white base cabinets and coloured upper is a very unsettling combination. It certainly makes the uppers look dirty.
  • Angel 18432
    5 years ago

I see now that the grout makes the edges look straight, but looking more closely I see the curvy tile. Looks really nice.

• User
    5 years ago
    It is going to look beautiful!
  • PRO
    Cambria
    5 years ago

It looks beautiful Meredith Puopolo! We love seeing unique combinations with Berwyn like this space by Nixon Pack. Can't wait to see your final project!

@chloebud Berwyn is actually a Cambria design made of natural quartz. Cambria is more durable than granite. It is stain-resistant and nonporous. Learn more at https://www.cambriausa.com/why-cambria/superior-performance/.

• chloebud
    5 years ago

Got it...thanks, Cambria!

• Meredith Puopolo
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    We are completely in love with our kitchen. We chose Snow White grout to go with the backsplash so it is definitely not too busy after all.
  • chillysurf3r
    5 years ago
    Too busy, don’t do it. I had a very similar situation, installed it and ended up tearing it out a year later and went with a simpler backsplash and now love it!