Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
creekhouse1

mid century modern home restoration

Tracey Mccall
5 years ago

We are restoring a MCM home which has narrow aluminum siding on the tallest wall in the great room. It is identical to the outside siding. It is dark brown with red running through it. The color matches the ceiling beams (although you can't tell that unless you are in an upstairs alcove and stand right next to a beam and look closely, they just look dark brown from ground floor) I would love to keep it, but it has to be painted. Suggestions on how to paint the aluminum siding indoors? What is the process and can it really work or will it have to be torn down and dry walled (that would make me very sad).

Comments (10)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    5 years ago

Can you add photos in the comments? You have to wait a bit for them to upload.

• Tracey Mccall
    Original Author
    5 years ago

i tried earlier and it took so long i thought it wasnt working so i stopped it!!

• mainenell
    5 years ago
    Ask at a paint store. There are paints specifically for painting aluminum siding.
  • emmarene9
    5 years ago

Aluminum siding can be painted. It is no different than painting any other metal as far as I know. I like walls painted in flat but I might paint metal in satin.

Do you like the siding or are you just keeping it as you think it is original?

Please post a picture for better advice.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

So I have no idea why there would be aluminum siding in the interior of the house , to my knowledge this was not a MCM idea. If you love it get paint made for it and paint it any color you like . Do try to post the pictures again.

• Tracey Mccall
    Original Author
    5 years ago

This looks alittle orange on my computer, it is definely red and brown.

• Tracey Mccall
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I have researched painting aluminum siding, but it al says it needs power washed first, I assume this is because it is most often outside. It is very dirty if it is wiped off with a soapy cloth.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    5 years ago

I would go to a good quality paint store and explain the situation. I doubt that you would need something as high powered as a power washer indoors, but it will obviously need cleaning. Folks in the paint store should be able to help you evaluate the best solvents to remove indoor grime, whether it is vinegar or dish soap or whatever. They may also be able to suggest what other prep may help (sometimes a light sanding is suggested for painting metal, for instance) and whether the same paints used outdoors are appropriate for indoor use.

I kind of like the current color since it looks a bit like it wants to be wood paneling which would be a more expected finish. I think you will want some type of scaffolding to reach the whole wall.

• Tracey Mccall
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you. I understand that it does look like it wants to be wood paneling, my partner in crime can't stand it, the votes are paint it or rip it down and I think it is a great feature wall. The wall color I have chose (subject to change) is BM Balboa Mist which looks lovely with the fireplace. I was contemplating painting the "siding" SW Cajun Red?! I have not put the two colors together to see how they look yet.