Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
srri

Wet room when curbless shower is less than 48" ?

srri
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Many of the experts on here said that if a curbless shower space won't allow for a 2" slope from the curb to the drain then the whole bathroom needs to be built as a wet room. My planned shower space is 36"x60". The existing drain is centered and is only 18" away from the entry threshold (will have a glass door).

What exactly needs to be done to qualify a bathroom as a wet room? Do all the walls outside of the shower need to have Hardibackers + water proof membrane? Does the rest of the concrete floor need to be covered in water proof membrane before tiling?

I would like to learn what's all involved in order to better judge the estimates that are scheduled to come back tomorrow. And also to make sure that the process involved is quoted and done correctly.

A quick drawing of the shower below.

Thank you in advance.

Comments (4)

• millworkman
    5 years ago

Yes, you essentially build the entire room as if it were a shower. Floors, walls, all get waterproofing and the entire floor system gets sloped.

• PRO
    Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.
    5 years ago

Actually, we would generally run the waterproofing throughout bath floor and up 3-6" on bath walls, but every situation is different. Local codes also come into play. 36" is generally considered the minimum length for curbless. Ability to achieve proper slope is critical. Choice of tile can come into play for ease of slope. The attached article is a good overview. The TCNA 2018-19 Handbook is also a good reference. Hopefully your tile contractor is familiar. Specifically they should reference guideline B421C-18. Regarding waterproofing, the guidelines indicate "..also the floor and wall waterproofing must continue outside the immediate shower area one foot beyond the high point of the floor, but not beyond the tiled area. Additional waterproofing of floor and/or walls outside the shower area may be needed to effectively contain and evacuate shower water and splash ...When additional waterproofing of floor and/or walls outside the shower area is desired or required, the building design professional must specify all areas to be waterproofed and indicated membrane termination points". It also references the use of a secondary drain outside the shower area "when required or desired". Something to consider.

https://ctasc.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/CurblessShowerArticleTileLetterMarch2016.pdf

Here is another reference which was just published in our March industry publication:

http://tileletter.com/2019/03/critical-planning-for-curbless-shower-success/

• Tile Corrector
    5 years ago

"Many of the experts on here said that if a curbless shower space won't allow for a 2" slope from the curb to the drain"

100% not true.

There is NO 2" drama to be scared of.

• Nancy in Mich
    5 years ago

My curbless shower is 37.5" x 62.5" BUT it has a trench drain in the prefab shower pan. My shower pan slopes to the outside edge of the shower because mine is made to be wheelchair accessible.

My room floor IS a shower. My contractor bought a Kerdi sloping floor and then waterproofed it with Kerdi, too, up to 5" up the tiled walls. So my bathroom tiled walls are not completely waterproofed, just behind the baseboards. In the picture below, the square in the floor is the drain in the floor, covered with a tiled cover. The room slopes up from the door sill, reaches an apex, and then slopes down on all sides to that drain in the floor. The room floor is 8.5 x 5 ft. The slope is noticeable, but has not tripped anybody.

If you are going to have a single drain, small enough to be covered by a washcloth or a person who has fallen, and not a trench drain, I would absolutely have a floor drain. It is so easy to forget and make some error and flood the whole house. I dumped a bucket of rinse water, forgetting that there were no walls, and it washed up against the back wall and bounced back and washed over the trench drain at the front of the shower. Water all over the floor. Not having a tub or curb is going to be something to get used to!