Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chanel_jackson38

Help! Two fireplaces in one room in rental property. What to do?

Chanel Jackson
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We recently purchased a 1904 duplex rental that’s in great condition but I am struggling with what to do with the dining room (non-working) fireplace. It cannot be left ”as is” as the brick is crumbling and needs to be replaced. Our initial thoughts were to add tile and a mirror as a design element and not spend much since it is a rental. However, I am toying with the idea of removing everything that is there and giving it a nice finish to the ceiling. But what does that do for the other fireplace?

Things to consider:

- This is the first area you see when entering the unit

- The living room fireplace does work

- The walls have been repainted white

- Floors kept the same with a nice polishing

- All wood trim will remain

- Furniture placement will help show the distinction between the two rooms

- The lighting may be removed...

Comments (12)

• felizlady
    5 years ago
    Chanel, you answered your own question when you said the crumbling brick fireplace can’t be left “as is”. There are two fireplaces because that large space used to be two rooms with a wall between them. The crumbling brick fireplace needs to be removed completely. You will probably rent to a family at some time and it will become a liability if it is not dealt with now. If it is crumbling where you can see it, it may also be crumbling where you can’t see it (the chimney, for example). The room will also look and function better with only one fireplace.
  • Michele
    5 years ago
    Yes. Just remove. It doesn’t look right. The other will look even better if that one is removed AND as was mentioned, if it’s crumbling already and you’re going to rent it out, the last thing you’d want/need is someone getting hurt. Do it now while while it’s easier
  • skunst2017
    5 years ago
    Yes ..to removing the fireplace ...! and I would partition the entrance with a small wall ..up to the window or just towards the end of the front door ..so that when you come into the house ..you don't walk straight into the living room ..and it would give you a place to finish off the living room ...with paintings and or furniture ...and you would provide a lovely entrance room with a mirror ..a small table ..to put keys ..maybe even a closet or an area for coats .., boots ..
    Yes, looking at your great room again ..I would definitely get some Sheetrock and get started on a partition ..creating that needed entrance space .....and separation ..for the wonderful living room , after you take out the fireplace ..GREAT project . !
  • nicole___
    5 years ago

Another yes...remove one fireplace. I would "not" partition the entrance...leave it open! Open concept is just THAT....

• partim
    5 years ago

I would remove them both. The room will work better for furniture placement.

• Chanel Jackson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Yes, the rooms were originally partitioned off and the other unit actually still has the original pocket doors that separate the living and dining space. I love that feature but I will not be adding it back to this unit as I also love open concept spaces. Both chimneys were inspected with no concerns. I probably should have clarified it’s structurally sound but the face of it is crumbling so this is primarily an aesthetic fix. The working fireplace is gas so I think we are safe there too. I have the general consensus so now I need to determine what design idea to go with...decisions, decisions.

• houssaon
    5 years ago

Well, I would get rid of it. But it will not be cheap. The plus is that the flooring is running in the same direction as the hearth, so it won't be too hard to install hardwood.

• rnonwheels
    5 years ago

I would repoint the brick one (it's the gas/working one correct?) take the wood mantel off the dining room fireplace and add it to the living room and wallborad over the dining room fireplace.

• Snaggy
    5 years ago

Remove the brick one ..it looks odd ..keep the other one

• User
    5 years ago
    Because you’re dealing with a heritage property I would have a mason in to fix it. You could be opening up a can of worms when taking it down and it may be a simpler fix than you’re thinking. It doesn’t need to work just safe! I think you’re best to talk to your towns historical society because I know where we are it would devalue the property big time.sometimes the easiest answer isn’t always the best!
  • Kitty Lanier
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

It looks as though the dining room fireplace has an old gas heater in it. If the chimney is in good condition, why not have the face of the fireplace replaced/repaired and install gas logs there, too? If you live in a colder climate, the supplemental heat might be appreciated by your renters, especially if the unit is not well insulated.

There may be electric units that would fit there, too. You might check Amazon since most anything can be found there.