Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tuxnado

Kitchen table/nook suggestions?

Nicole R
5 years ago

Hi all. You guys were so helpful with kitchen updating suggestions, I thought I'd ask about furnishing the nook in my kitchen. I like a style that's perhaps slightly rustic, but refined, not too ornate. Searching for a table now, and thinking a circular one would probably work better?

Here's some photos of the kitchen as it exists. I am planning to replace the countertops with something lighter like Taj Majal quartzite, paint the ceilings (and the trim throughout the house) white, add a glossier mosaic behind the range, take off the ornate scroll things from the range hood, and possibly take on the floors as well. The pendant light and the window treatments will also be updated.

There's also some photos of tables I'm looking at. I'm never sure about which wood tones look better or worse next to each other.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments (5)

• V K
    5 years ago

I think the first one is a good choice - it is the most classic, but could be dressed up or down easily. I do like the last one with the metal base, but it is too industrial for your space, I think. Cool though :-)

• cawaps
    5 years ago

I like the first one your posted. The 2nd and 3rd don't seem to fit the warm colors of the kitchen. The 4th looks fine color-wise, but has an industrial look that doesn't seem to fit quite as well as the first.

• oaktonmom
    5 years ago

I would look for a pedestal table where the legs won’t dictate where you put the chairs.

• PRO
    Barbara Griffith Designs
    5 years ago

What is the backsplash material between the upper & lower cabinets now, it is hard to see? I like the idea of taking off the corbels at the bottom of the vent hood, but I would make the entire backsplash area and stove backing area all one complete surface of whatever you choose. It would be a smooth cleaner look and visually enlarge the space. Frankly, I cannot see a round table in that window area, it looks much too small. Consider the space needed for pulling chairs out to sit as well as bodies sitting on the chairs and then walking around them. I would look to a narrow rectangular table with lightweight chairs.

Always choose your chandelier last after you have the furniture in the space. Your choice then will be much easier when you see the whole area furnished. Also, I personally, dislike white ceilings, they always look like they were forgotten, but it is the largest space in the
    entire area. At the very least paint them either the same color as the walls unless the walls are dark, then paint the ceilings a very light shade of the wall color.

Look for 3 or 4 backless upholstered stools to slide completely under the island open space. Maybe add a seat fabric for them with a more bold pattern as this a very large space with no pattern. Consider the same fabric on the table chairs as well.

• Nicole R
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Thanks to everyone!

If it helps at all, the space is 11 ft across and 7' 4" from the windows to the line where the oven starts. The door opens inward so the table would definitely have to be less than 60" long, which seems to be hard to find (except for really cheap boring ones).

I did have my eye on that last table because I do like the industrial style, and I thought it might work with the metal fridge handles, plus perhaps a pendant light and barstools with a little industrial edge. But I see how it doesn't quite go with everything as-is.

Barbara -- the backsplash is a small, rectangular light beige stone with a textured surface:

Maybe you're right about making it all uniform. I was playing with the idea of perhaps finding a Mediterranean tile with a touch of color for behind the range, but I see what you're saying about having a smooth area that's not broken up.

Taking a look at some rectangular tables:

boring but I like the rustic feel.

blah.

Maybe white legs would go well with the lighter countertops.

I actually like the legs on this one when I look at it by itself, but I don't know if it would take the whole style of the kitchen in another direction. These last two are customizable.

The more I looked around, the more I got excited about the prospect of something handmade and customized to fit the space exactly as I need. And some of the options are GORGEOUS, with a rustic feel but a refined finish.

I never really liked furniture style that seemed more traditional, but the more I look at some tables with turned legs, the more I think it might fit the style of the house better. I just don't want to get distracted by things fitting the existing style and forget that I'm trying to update it to look more like MY style. Something like this might be a good blend of the two:

I think I might really like this one ^

SO weird for me to say, with those legs.

That's why I'm struggling with decisions, I don't want things that look out of place but I also don't want to buy things that aren't my style. I'm an over thinker if there ever was one.