Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
richard_p28

Which rug would you choose for this living room??

R P
5 years ago

Hello Fellow Houzzers,

I am in need of your thoughtful input! I need help choosing which rug I should get. I was also thinking of maybe a Persian rug as an option.

I just ordered the sofa, large cocktail ottoman, and throw pillows with the noted fabrics indicated below. The wood legs of the sofa will be the same wood as the gray chair in the picture.

Which rug(s) would you recommend: Rug 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 or something else??

Thanks in advance!!! :)

Comments (83)

• PRO
    Smith & Ragsdale Interior Design
    5 years ago

Rug 2 and 10 seem to work...the texture of 10 adds to the ambience of the room.

R P thanked Smith & Ragsdale Interior Design
  • R P
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Thank you for all your input! My current rug which looks pretty bland is 100% wool. For the new rug, I'm mainly looking for mainly a 100% wool rug, preferably hand-knotted, and plush where my dogs would love to roll around it. Rugs 2, 5 and 10 are hand-knotted (and price is 2-3x more than most of the other rugs). Rug 5 does not come in 9x12 and next size up is 10x14; price costs more than a Century or Lee 8-way hand-tied sofa.

• wmsimons85
    5 years ago

Is rug 2 the one that Grover did a mock up with, wool?

R P thanked wmsimons85
  • R P
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Actually rug 2 is not 100% wool; it's actually 70% viscose unfortunately. I did not see that until now.

• wmsimons85
    5 years ago

Oh no. :( They do make some pretty ones!

R P thanked wmsimons85
  • wmsimons85
    5 years ago

I’m sorry RP I just saw your previous post. So knowing the content of some of them which one or ones are you favoring?

R P thanked wmsimons85
  • R P
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes, these are the rugs I'm favoring:

Rug 1 ($2200)

pro: 100% wool, interesting design

con: is the design with the numerous dots too much?

Rug 2A ($1600)

pro: colorful

con: is it too colorful? not plushy feel

Rug 3A ($1000, antique)

con: is it too colorful? not plushy feel

Rug 5 ($4100):

pro: 100% wool, hand-knotted, plushy, subtle design

con: very expensive, also maybe con of subtle design

Rug 10 ($3100):

pro: 100% wool, hand-knotted, plushy

con: very expensive, do the large diamonds look fine with the rest of the room?

Rug 13 ($1300):

pro: mostly wool

con: does not appear to be tightly knit, design?

Rug 15 ($1000):

con: not wool, is it too colorful

Rug 16 ($345):

pro: compliments all the colors of the room w/o predominant color

con: not wool, polypropylene

Revote anyone?

Thanks in advance!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    What material is last rug. Great colors.
    R P thanked Flo Mangan
  • R P
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes, agreed! Last rug is made of polypropylene.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

I have a polypropylene rug in the dining area and like it. I have hand-knotted rugs in other rooms but I wouldn't discount the polypropylene ones if it's more in your price change. The Oriental rugs with red and other colors really lift your room out of the ordinary. I would choose one for your dining area too for a total, very exciting look for your home.

Polypropylene rug for about $450 for an 8 x 11 rug

R P thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    5 years ago

RP, don’t vote yet! I like this one also and it’s an affordable wool. This one totally neutralizes the minty paint color!

misc · More Info

misc · More Info

misc · More Info

R P thanked karen paul interiors
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    5 years ago

This is my most recent polypropylene

Center Patio · More Info

rug buy (for outdoors!).

• niccidhg
    5 years ago
    Karen, you are too funny — “ RP, don’t vote yet !”—- hahaha !
    R P thanked niccidhg
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    5 years ago

Well yeah, I’m just beginning to nose around! lol

• PRO
    karen paul interiors
    5 years ago

This is a William Morris wool reproduction and requires a special regard for his colors and designs. This one offers up a wonderful opportunity to expand and to explore your aesthetics. As I said, it will not be for everyone with its decorative specificity I very much like this one for your area!

misc · More Info

misc · More Info

misc · More Info

• wmsimons85
    5 years ago

That is pretty Karen Paul Interiors!

RP those are all so different! And of course completely different price points as well! Rug 1 is different and interesting and you mention it is wool. Shame I can’t do a mock up for you. That rug above of Karen’s is pretty and also the one in Grover’s mock up IMO. That red border is beautiful in your room again just IMO it’s a shame for that price it‘s not 100% wool. It seems expensive to me for what material it’s made of.

Maybe some one will do a mock up for you with Karen‘s rug. Looking at rugs recently because of another thread, seems there are SO many beautiful rugs out there! :)

R P thanked wmsimons85
  • wmsimons85
    5 years ago

Karen I just saw your posts. That outdoor setting and rug is just beautiful!! I agree RP shouldn’t vote yet! Lol. I was curious in what direction she was leaning. As pretty as those rugs are she chose, it appears no particular style really.

R P thanked wmsimons85
  • everdebz
    5 years ago

Your new sofa is it creamy? Karen Paul's wool-beigey rug seems soft and neutral but with bits of colors... that remind me of veggies [art you're keeping in DR?]

would seem good with sages...

R P thanked everdebz
  • R P thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    5 years ago

Is it possible that a rug without large visible pattern would be better for you so your art is 'seen better' [than the rug]?

R P thanked everdebz
  • R P thanked everdebz
  • Gcubed
    5 years ago
    I like KP’s tug from 12:53AM post: beige/cream background with red/green/black (navy?). It goes with your art and allows you to pull in other colors. Aldo looks good with your new furniture fabrics- maybe someone can post them side-by-side. I’m not good st that stuff!
    R P thanked Gcubed
  • PRO
    Smith & Ragsdale Interior Design
    5 years ago

Is it possible to fit another chair (on the left) so it would be a pair)?

R P thanked Smith & Ragsdale Interior Design
  • niccidhg
    5 years ago
    RP, in answer to your question re. rug #1 , I really like it close up - so interesting - and I don’t think the dots are too much. However, when it was photoshopped into the room it seemed to disappear and I no longer liked it as much for your space. —— Gargigg ( and RP), is this Karen Paul’s rug to which you were referring ? ( I am on an iPad and the posts are not timestamped on my monitor.) —- I keep referring back to the fabric for the ottoman also because it will be a large square sitting directly on top of the rug, I presume. I , personally , love how this rug looks with EVERYTHING ! I think it is pretty perfect for your room, RP . It has all the right colors and pattern, while still exuding a subtlety and softness. AND it’s wool and comes in the right size.—- I think this would look so pretty.
    R P thanked niccidhg
  • niccidhg
    5 years ago
    RP, would you mind sharing the source and specific information about rug #1 ? Our daughter is collecting ideas for neutral rugs for a room in her new home. Thanks so much in advance . I appreciate it .
    R P thanked niccidhg
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    5 years ago

just found this one and it plays up the minty tone of your paint. It also provides enough background color for your sofa...and it’s good with art and chairs as well.

misc · More Info

misc · More Info

misc · More Info

misc · More Info

misc · More Info

• Gcubed
    5 years ago

Thanks Niccidhg- THAT is the rug I think looks best too. Perfect. And, if RP chooses to change wall paint at any time, there are options. If the green background rug is picked, I think it limits changes down the road (paint and art)

R P thanked Gcubed
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

R P thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • wmsimons85
    5 years ago

I think both of those are so pretty. But my goodness that pale green rug is absolutely gorgeous!! I assume it is a genuine hand knotted Persian? Maybe vintage or antique?

But having said all that, still love how that red border rug in Grover’s mock-up looked in your room. I loved it, just a shame about the material. :(. I hate to disagree with Gargigg but find that soft green very neutral and just can’t imagine any paint or art not fitting in with it.

R P thanked wmsimons85
  • Gcubed
    5 years ago

No worries! I also think there's not enough contrast with the ottoman fabric- if it's in the center of the rug, it looks like it would just blend in. To each her/his own of course!

R P thanked Gcubed
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    5 years ago

The last one I posted is an authentic Kashan which is a favorite for lovers of Persian rugs. That said, Kashans are pricey and this one is no exception except it’s on sale for 3600 from 8200. I don’t know your budget limit but I can say it is a rug that would never disappoint. I have always regarded green as a colorful neutral! lol

• niccidhg
    5 years ago
    LOVE ,love, love this last aqua ( to me it looks aqua ) rug ! What is the source/manuf. ,Karen ?
    R P thanked niccidhg
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    5 years ago

It’s on goldennile.com under Persians.

• niccidhg
    5 years ago
    Thank you .
    R P thanked niccidhg
  • niccidhg
    5 years ago
    That’s interesting. I just realized I was on Golden Nile last night looking at this one, which I saved without saving the info. ( ?!! ) They do have some dreamy rugs.
    R P thanked niccidhg
  • katinparadise
    5 years ago

following

R P thanked katinparadise
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    5 years ago

Nicci, I agree they have a nice quality and selection. Love the one You just posted!

• R P
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oh wow, thanks everyone!! Lots of excellent options! I love them all. Yikes, now it'll be even harder to narrow it down to one rug! If only I can purchase a couple and rotate them every few weeks ;) More realistic, if I could buy multiple of them, and return them, I would, but I would have to pay the shipping cost. That would add up. Alas, lots more thinking to do.

I would describes the sofa fabric as not white, not beige, but more so partly off-white and partly creamy.

Most of the neutral rugs I found are from Dash and Albert as well as Serena and Lily. The colorful ones are from Manhattan Rugs and Ebay.

There is space for another chair, but there's only two people living at home.

I'm trying to stick to a $2500 budget but would be willing to creep up to close to $4000.

Thank you again everyone! You are all such fabulous interior designers :)

• wmsimons85
    5 years ago

Do you fancy any of the above? Or should we keep looking? But not sure we know which direction you prefer. Shame again about the mockups. I am going to have to finally look into that because this isn’t the first thread I’ve felt that way. :) Even though IMO that is a heck of a bargain on that rug Karen found but I think unless you want a beauty like that, think you can find a beautiful rug less expensive than what you said you were willing to spend.

• R P
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Yes, I think Karen’s rug moved up to the top. The price is a little high but doable! I don’t think I need help to keep looking anymore :) Thank you everyone! Looks like I’m getting my sofa soon so I will post it when it delivers!
  • niccidhg
    5 years ago
    Can’t wait to see your room pics. , RP !
  • wmsimons85
    5 years ago

It will be beautiful with whatever you choose, it is a beautiful room and art to start with. Look forward to seeing the sofa when it arrives.

• PRO
    karen paul interiors
    5 years ago

RP so glad I was able to contribute. I very much look forward to updated pictures. Best of luck!

• everdebz
    5 years ago

Shelves/tv are black/dark and contrast against light wall. Then many items for eyes to see. Then light sofa will contrast. So do you want a softer look with soft green rug, or more warm lively with muted red...

• wmsimons85
    5 years ago

I kind of agree with Everdebz. Even though that green rug is the bomb personally prefer that one in Groves mock up with sof red on the border especially with your art.

• everdebz
    5 years ago

… soft rug might not 'stand up' to strong black of shelf/fp wall …pretty details be lost [from a distance mostly].

• R P
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you everyone! I do appreciate and like all of the suggestions! It's such a hard choice and I am not sure what direction to go.

I am kinda leaning toward one of the more neutral options- both my spouse and I like this one:

However, I feel that this more neutral rug might be too safe of an option. The reason why we are getting a new rug is because the current rug looks way to small and does not add anything to the room (appears more or less as a solid silver/light gray color) and just looks "blah." And I want a rug that gives a more warm/welcoming feeling. The obstacle we are running into is trying to determine if the more oriental/persian rugs with more color would clash with the ottoman fabric too much. We might have to wait until we see how the sofa and ottoman look in person to get a better picture. Hopefully we can do a mock up with all the actual furniture in place to help decide. I think it will take some time still to come to a decision since I am so indecisive and it seems what I like changes all the time.

The other question is about rug size- we are looking at 9x12 and 10x14 size options- I like the extra room around the furniture that a 10x14 affords us. Here are two mock ups of the room where the furniture is of scale to what we actually have/ordered:

Again, super appreciative of everyone's input! Thank you Houzzers :)

• Dr. Markus Stöllnberger
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Although still in fashion get over these wishy-washy tans. They look like clothes old people wear as they do not want to make decisions. Where is your sense of adventure? Go for colours!

• Katie J
    4 years ago

I love that neutral rug in that geometric design. I personally think it'll go excellent with all the colors going on in the space. Perhaps too many colors would lose where your eye should focus on in your space. Also, it would flow much better with your kitchen/dining space as there are just dashes of color in your dining room frames. A colorful rug would make the rooms look disjointed.

• wmsimons85
    4 years ago

I have my own favorite style and taste as I’ve expressed before so I will l leave that to you or others to say but my vote would be for the larger 10 x 14. Unfortunately I know that makes a difference in price.