Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tt123456

Help Needed for Back Yard Patio Project

Julia_WI Zone 5b
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hello all,

We are about to start a DIY patio project. We have put some thoughts on what we want and have some basic ideas what we will like to do, but still want to hear your opinions if our plan is feasible or if we can make it nicer.

Here is some basic information about our house:

1. We live in a urban community with a relatively small back yard. We also have a detached 2.5 car garage at the end of the long driveway. The driveway and garage occupy almost half of the back yard area.

2. Besides using the side door through driveway, there is no direct access from the house to the patio area. We currently have no plan to add a patio door in the back of the house.

3. We have limited budget (that's why we decided to go DIY after we quoted several companies), so we don't need anything fancy, but still want the new patio neat, practical and look nice. The patio area is currently just weeded lawn.

Here is the simple drawing of our plan I made through Excel, not to the scale, just the basic idea what we would like for the patio area only, we will take care of rest of the backyard later.

We have decided to use Menards Riverfront Pavers with Holland 4"X8" as borders, here is the pavers links:

https://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/landscaping-materials/pavers-patio-blocks/16-x-24-riverfront-paver/1792915/p-1531204168720-c-5786.htm?tid=-7774252856968916227&ipos=1

https://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/landscaping-materials/pavers-patio-blocks/building-materials/landscaping-materials/pavers-patio-blocks/16-x-16-riverfront-paver/1792913/p-1480576743692-c-5786.htm?tid=632958280872311&ipos=9

https://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/landscaping-materials/pavers-patio-blocks/building-materials/landscaping-materials/pavers-patio-blocks/8-x-16-riverfront-paver/1792914/p-1480576743677-c-5786.htm?tid=632958280872311&ipos=10

https://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/landscaping-materials/pavers-patio-blocks/building-materials/landscaping-materials/pavers-patio-blocks/4-x-8-holland-paver/1793058/p-1444441411401-c-5786.htm?tid=632958280872311&ipos=23

I made a pattern plan with Excel at the size of 24ft by 10ft plus borders, just to get an idea what the patio would look like.

Here are something we are not quite sure and would like to hear your suggestions:

1. Because we are going to DIY, we try to make a square patio and avoid non-necessary cuttings. What is the good option to fill the gap between straight cut pavers and curved area like window well and the driveway? I came across a patio design and kinda like it's idea. We plan to add some limestone around the patio to fill the gap. What do you think about this idea?

2. Will a rectangular patio really look nice in our setting? If we can cut curves, where we should add curves on our patio to increase the overall appearance? Or maybe just like the picture I posted above, add a few curves in the flower beds?

3. We haven't decided if we should add borders on the west side of the patio. What do you think?

4. Last but not least, what color of stones would you recommend? Menards design center gave two color combinations for the paver sets. One called Cobalt, L-Gray/Charcoal, M-Gray /Maroon, S-Charcoal/Maroon, the other color called Sienna: L-Tan/Charcoal, M-Brown/Tan, S-Gray/Charcoal.

we have red brick exteriors. So what color sets is a better match of our house and what color of borders to choose from?

Thanks in advance for all your inputs.

Julia

Comments (6)

• PRO
    Revolutionary Gardens
    4 years ago

I'm with Yard on the paver size. Large format pavers are hard to work with, even for experienced crews. One 16x24 weighs 72 lbs, according to the Menards link. Keep in mind that you're not just plopping them down and moving on. Odds are, because you'll be learning as you go, that you'll be pulling pavers up and putting them back multiple times to get a smooth, even surface. Plus, I don't know what the quality of the pavers are, but generally box store pavers aren't the greatest. That can mean being slightly out of square or other issues that are magnified when using a bigger paver. I'd do a 4x8 border and a 4x8 in a herringbone or running bond pattern.

In terms of your questions:

1. suck it up and make the cuts. Go slow and take off a little material at a time until you get good at it. This is another reason to use smaller pavers if you're not confident about the cuts! It's way easier to piece together a curve with several smaller pavers than to try and cut a clean arc in a slab.

2. Rectangular is fine, but if you feel up to it I like Yard's concept. I wouldn't waste time putting curves against the planting bed. Soften the edge with plants and you'll be fine. The curves in that inspiration photo are a terrific example of what NOT to do. Squiggles aren't good design. If it looks like a roadkill rattlesnake, don't do it.

3. border the whole thing unless you have a compelling design reason not to. I don't see a reason not to.

4. if your house has red brick avoid pavers w/ red in them. The red pigments in clay bricks and the red pigments in concrete pavers will never look right together.

Don't skimp on your base, and don't forget to pitch the patio slightly to shed water. The biggest thing is don't rush. Stand up and step back frequently, because your surface can start to get "wavy" and you'll never see it from 2-3 feet away. When I built my first paver walkway in 1995 I tore it out and redid it 3 times because I was impatient (and, at 20, kinda stupid).

• Julia_WI Zone 5b
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yardvaark, thank you very much for your inputs. We will give serious thought about your suggestions on adding curves on the driveway side. Currently, the line that driveway meets the dirt isn't clean cut, it's a bit hard for me to know how curvy the driveway really is. Our backyard is a total mess right now with lots of weeds and dirt piles we dig last year. I guess I will have a better idea after cleaning up a little bit.

Here is the paver display we saw at the store: I'm kinda like the color on the display. I will ask the store which color combination the display is. Or maybe as you said, buy some sample bricks home before making the purchase.

In terms of why setting on large pavers, that's really my husband's preference. He likes the contemporary look of the large pavers present. I would be happy with the 4"X8" holland pavers which is small and easy to manipulate. I'm afraid my husband is over optimism and underestimate the difficulties and energy-consumption of laying large pavers. The largest size of the above pavers is 71lbs!! What from your professional point of view that we should pay attention when dealing with large pavers? It's not final yet. If laying large pavers are really difficult or even might hurt my husband, I will convince him to change to smaller ones. Family comes first!

Thanks again for your help.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    4 years ago

Depending on the size of paver, it may be more troublesome to make the cut in the saw. Also, the weight will make it harder to lay with care.

You'd bring the patio as close to the drive as possible. If the drive edge is not clean cut, you may need to fill in with drive material after you establish the abuting paver edge. It's best if you show a picture of the problem.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

And I would add that any cuts needed when using smaller sized pavers are far less noticeable than if using larger sized ones.

• Julia_WI Zone 5b
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you all for your advice. Looks like everyone think the paver size we choose might be too large for us to deal with. I will ask my husband to read everyone's suggestions and see what he has to say.

Interestingly, when I googled "paver patio for red brick house", most advice I received is to avoid 4X8 holland pavers since they are too similar to the house. They all suggest using larger pavers (no smaller than 6X6, or 6X9) and avoid reddish color as Revolutionary Gardens suggested. I will keep this in mind when we choose the color. Also, we will check more stores for paver options, hopefully we can find something smaller than our original pick but still look nicely.