Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mjammjam

What type of curtains/blinds/shades can I use here, and here and here?

mjammjam
4 years ago

Hello All,

I have thick molding around my windows and I would like to eventually get pretty curtains. But I also need shades or maybe silhouette blinds for privacy. In my dining room the molding almost reaches the ceiling. Should I only use silhouettes since there is no room above the window? I really wanted to dress it up with curtains.

And, here in my living room there are high ceilings, but I still want some kind of shade and a curtain. What do you suggest that goes together with a silhouette? Or would a silhouette be the wrong choice?

And, My sliding door to the yard also needs a shade, but I don't know which kind would work. Should I attach a silhouette to the ceiling? Is there something else that would look better? Thank you so much!

Should I use decorative roman shades in Dining room instead of both a curtain and shade?

Northshore Lake Front Estate · More Info

I don't have furniture yet, but I need blinds/shades ASAP

Comments (10)

• smileythecat
    4 years ago

Call a pro, jc penny would be a good start, you have got challenges to say the least with that trim and those windows that have zero sill depth. All blinds or shades will have to be an outside bracket which will cover that trim when closed. I have absolutely no idea what to do with the door/slider. Whoever designed, built this house gave no thought to window coverings. Get some in house consultation asap.

mjammjam thanked smileythecat
  • mjammjam
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you -- I am waiting to hear from someone now about my options.

This is the sill depth: Almost 3"

These windows were here when we moved in...

• jck910
    4 years ago

Agree with DLM200-GW about getting the paper shades for now. You do not want to rush the window treatment decision especially without furniture. You would be best served to find an interior designer to help you. It will be cost effective rather than making the wrong decisions.

smileythecat makes an excellent point about the way the windows were installed. DR too close to crown molding; LR into baseboard and slider/windows missing upper trim. It is lovely trim and it would be a shame to cover it after all the money it cost.

Good luck, patience is a virtue.

mjammjam thanked jck910
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

These windows will require some thought so I agree some paper shades ideally with a tension install to not damage any thing. Then go to a good drapery store to get some help.I honestly don’t see the need for privacy in a DR or in fact any of your spaces except for a bedroom so maybe the answer is no window coverings.

mjammjam thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • mjammjam
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Thank you all,

I've been using paper shades for a year now, and most of the glue is still stuck on the window frame the paint was peeled off in many areas.

I can't afford furniture yet, but either way I want a shade and then a decorative curtain if I can. My living room and dining room windows face the front of my house so I need blinds. And I also need shade from the sun in all areas too. This is my spare room where my family hangs sheets on the windows before going to sleep:

I have a designer who I use who recommended wood blinds, but I don't like them.

I thought that white silhouettes would be neutral and I could add curtains later when I get LR and DR furniture.

Do you think that would be OK?

• iheartsix
    4 years ago
    Oh my, beautiful windows!!!!!!
    mjammjam thanked iheartsix
  • Tracey Woods
    4 years ago
    Keep looking on line for inspiration. Agree with pp, get a few people out to your house to give you some ideas and consider pros/cons of each solution. Trade offs. I always like top down options for my bedroom but that means no ability to louvre. I like the silhouettes but they can be bug catchers and have to be fully down before you can operate the louvre. Just think about the purpose of each and how you will use them every day.
    mjammjam thanked Tracey Woods
  • Tracey Woods
    4 years ago
    Should add..sounds like the bedroom is the first priority to get out of hanging up a sheet! Start there, add a pretty curtain you can pull closed ever night, maybe a double rod w a sheer and a blackout. don’t get overwhelmed with the all of the other windows.
  • mjammjam
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you,

Yes I'd prefer the option of opening the blinds while keeping them down for the breeze to flow through an open window. I'll keep searching...