Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tanchild31

stoop decor advice

kindness matters
4 years ago
Hello

Seeking front stoop - porch advice please and thank you!

Comments (24)

• jck910
    4 years ago

can you post a picture here in the comments section taken further back so we can see more of the front walk?

• njmomma
    4 years ago

1. Large indoor outdoor rug. One that fills the space. In colors you love.

2. Bench

kindness matters thanked njmomma
  • groveraxle
    4 years ago

I wouldn't put anything on the stoop. I'd landscape to the right of it instead.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

kindness matters thanked groveraxle
  • hazelcraddock
    4 years ago

Or bring the pots forward, one next to the post and one down from that on the walkway. Put some colorful plants in them.

kindness matters thanked hazelcraddock
  • chloebud
    4 years ago

Definitely a larger door mat.

kindness matters thanked chloebud
  • decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

Pressure wash the walk. Paint the inside of the tray ceiling Haint Blue. Paint the porch floor to match the mortar in the brick. Plant up the flower beds & add 2 more hanging baskets on the side (make sure they are lush, full and drapey.) Get a full glass storm; paint it and your front door black. Use the 2 blue pots indoors.

kindness matters thanked decoenthusiaste
  • kindness matters
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Work in progress - pic from far away

As you can see we need landscaping but that’s another post
  • kindness matters
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Before a bit of diy
  • ocotillaks
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I would expand the porch to the right and create a front patio. In addition, I would not have steps instead make a ramp.

ramps for stairs for elderly - Google Search · More Info

kindness matters thanked ocotillaks
  • PRO
    Yardvaark
    4 years ago

The walk (running left) is narrow and too close to the house. Before doing a permanent planting, it would be good to reconfigure that, pulling it far enough away from the house that it could serve as landing to the walk that goes to the front door. I would not place container plants on the stoop or walk as that would only help it seem smaller and more confined. As mentioned, landscape the area to the right instead.

kindness matters thanked Yardvaark
  • groveraxle
    4 years ago

Kindness matters, how do people get to your front door? I assume they part somewhere on the right and walk across the grass?

kindness matters thanked groveraxle
  • NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    4 years ago

I would not put any potted plants on the paved area as it narrows the porch too much. If you want potted plants, place them on stepping stones just to the side of the porch entrance. They would need to be considerably larger to be effective.

if you would like a spot to sit, you will need to add a paved area. Adding a bench or chair will just make the porch feel crowded and narrow.

If you have the funds, redoing the front walk starting at the front base of the step rather than the side as it currently is, as well as making the walk wide enough for two people to walk abreast will make landscaping easier and the entrance feel more welcoming.

kindness matters thanked NHBabs z4b-5a NH
  • kindness matters
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Thoughts on rug?
  • kindness matters
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    These are such wonderful ideas and I’m taking many into consideration for long term.

Our home is a 1971 fixer upper. Pretty much cheapest house in most expensive street.

My husband and I are diy with limited funds w a 1 year old.

I know he will chuckle when I bring up the ideas saying we can’t afford it but I’m due time will add value.

Thank you everyone

Ps I did get a target rug and would have never thought of something as simple as a bigger rug and ditching the potted plants
  • kindness matters
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Grover axel I included the path to front door
  • NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    4 years ago

You have obviously already made changes based on the photos you posted, which I am certain your neighbors appreciate. When you get to landscaping you will want to make your beds deeper front to back. They currently look like plants will be too crowded against the houseor hanging into the walkway.

When it comes time to redo mulch next season, consider using undyed brown mulch so you don’t have dye on the walkway and foundation.

• chloebud
    4 years ago

That's too much rug for me. I would get a rectangular one about the width of the door and sidelights.

• kindness matters
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Chloe bud like a 5x5?

Or a circle rug?
  • NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    4 years ago

I actually like that size, but if the door is used much a white center isn’t practical as it won’t stay white.

• njmomma
    4 years ago

Love the size of the rug, but you need one that has a lot of forgiveness when it comes to dirt. Something with more pattern and darker colors.

Some inspiration:

Laurel Home Black Indoor/Outdoor Rug, 5'x8' · More Info

• kindness matters
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    The only person that comes to the front door on a weekly basis is ups lol

Thankfully the rug was only 45 dollars and I love it!
  • chloebud
    4 years ago

"Chloe bud like a 5x5?"

No...5x5 would be square. My preference would be rectangular in front of the door. If the width from sidelight to sidelight is 5', I might go with 5x3 or something close to that.

I agree the one you have has too much white. It's just not practical, even if seldom used. It will still start to look dingy from being outside. If you want to go with that size, I would go darker with not much pattern. Too much pattern on a rug that size could look busy right there with your brick...IMO.

kindness matters thanked chloebud