Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skatd

How do I build a succulent garden in my front yard covered in grass?

skatd
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I live in San Diego. I am looking for a diy project on replacing front yard (currently full of grass) with a succulent garden. Also I want to add roses below my living room window. I need some help with the following questions:

1) Best way for grass removal if time is a constraint.

2) Will a line of rose plants (roses in all colors) look good behind the succulent garden? Is that a wise decision to combine the two? Any examples/photos you could provide.

3) Once grass is removed, how do i make a succulent soil mix to put down in the same space to get it ready for succulents?

4) What kind of edging looks best with a succulent garden?

5) Once succulents are laid down should i use wood mulch or rocks to cover remaining ground?

6) How should i determine the watering schedule (how many times per week seasonally, drip irrigation or overhead watering) ?

Thank you

Comments (7)

• apple_pie_order
    4 years ago

A lot of the answers are "it depends". What kind of grass do you have now? Do you have a small, medium or large front yard for the succulents to run up against the roses? What are your water restrictions and plans for overhauling the irrigation?

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    4 years ago

1) don't remove grass. Kill it with Round-Up and plant one week later or after.

2) a line of rose plants (roses in all colors) won't look good behind the succulent garden. Not that either makes the other look bad. But you are talking about a line of roses as a foundation plant? Doesn't sound good. And a line? Better a BED of them somewhere.

3) More than likely, your soil is OK to grow succulents as it is. Are people growing succulents around you. If yes, then you should be able to do it do.

4) The best edging is one that is flush with grade, or barely above it. Raised edgings usually look worse. You'd need to show your specific situation in order to get specific recommendations.

5) Will the succulents be covering like groundcover? ... use wood mulch. Or are you trying to create a desert appearance?

6) Watering schedule depends on the plants and the weather. someone from your locale may offer advice here, or you can ask someone locally.

• partim
    4 years ago

Also depends on the kind of roses. Hybrid tea roses have pretty unattractive bare stems, with their beautiful roses near the top. Hedge or shrub roses (e.g. Hansa) have leaves and flowers all the way down to the ground and don't look so bare. Then there are ground cover roses too.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

Please no more roundup anywhere on this earth. There is a machine you can rent to take out all the grass then you ammend the soild with sand and anyother additives you need in your soil. The best place for that advice is your local garden center. Succulents and roses have very different water needs so don’t do well together. Go to your garden center they can answer all these questions.

• Chris
    4 years ago

We had a succulent bed at the beach in Florida. It was "landlocked" by a sidewalk, driveway and concrete edging. How the "torpedo" grass got in there we will never know. It was impossible to weed. We had lined it and covered the area with rocks. :(

• User
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I’ve done this (I’m north of you about an hour.) I’m a 5’6” tall woman and did all of the work myself.

1. Use a sod cutter (rent from Home Depot.) Any other method will take forever and will require a lot of maintenance. Use a quality water permeable weed barrier after you do this unless you want to pull grass and weeds forever. This has been the difference in my yard looking good when my neighbors who also went low water are spending their weekends pulling grass and weeds. Seriously.

2. No, find someplace else for your roses. They won’t look good together and they have different needs.

3. If your drainage is good you don’t need to do anything- most succulents are super adaptable but you MUST have good drainage. If you don’t, you will need to till and add some kind of aggregate and you would need to do it deeply to avoid the “bathtub” effect around the plants.

4. That’s a personal taste thing. I didn’t edge, I dug down to make it level so if it gets out of the yard i just sweep it back in.

5. Wood mulch looks like crap as it ages and breaks down so if you go that route you are commiting to maintenance and future expenses. Bugs like wood mulch, too. I used California Gold decomposed granite and it was a great choice for us. There are lots of stone/gravel choices so you can find something that looks good with your house.

6. Different succulents have different needs so you have to research each one and group accordingly. I have some that I never water because they are winter growers and that’s the only time it rains here.

I recommend you spend some time looking online, driving or biking around your area, etc. to see what plants are doing well in your area- and then choose some of those amd some that will make your yard different! I also recommend building some hills and curves instead of having a flat yard. Flat yards are boring.

Have fun! We love our succulent garden and our tiny water bill.

skatd thanked User