Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cust46

Sofa/loveseat choice

Dan W
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We have a large sunny and airy central room in mid-century (early 70s) modern CA desert home. Living room on one half and dining on the other (plus a small library).

Photos below.

We'll replace the current garage sale sofa and loveseat, and no doubt the rug too.

We're leaning toward the 89" Andre Sofa and 65" Andre loveseat from Room & Board.

The photo include the Katz Gold (yellow) and Sym Claret options. The Sym Claret has a nice beige/neutral overall cast yet with some red and yellow running through it - which then complement other design elements of the great room. Not too bold and not too neutral. But we could probably pull off the Katz Gold #1 given all the bright sunshine of the nearby terrace sliding glass windows, and other neutrals (i.e. paint, tile).

Just having difficulty in a few questions:

a) Any advice on final fabric choice given off-white (Behr "shoelace" paint) walls and sandstone tile. Some options have photos below.

b) Matchy-matchy? Should the sofa and love seat match in all regards? Or can one safely vary the fabric or the design? We eventually plan to finish off the seating area with two chairs too, so our inclination is to use the chairs and pillows to add the variance, and keep the sofa/loveseat as matching.

c) Room and Board can be pricey... and never any sales alas. Other retailers with a similar design?

Thanks!

Comments (14)

• hollybar
    4 years ago

There are many makers of similar sofas. At many price points. (I'd check out the Younger & Co.'s Michael for a similar feel. I've used this sofa in a few short term rentals and they are holding up beautifully)) But I would not do R&B Andre sofa in those two lengths because they both are configured the same,with two seat cushions. That means the long one will look lean,expansive and sleek and the much shorter 67" nearby looks dumpy and meager to me. Of course ,ymmv.

Dan W thanked hollybar
  • Karenmo
    4 years ago

I agree with the two-sofa recommendation. You garage-saled into the current sofa/loveseat arrangment (nothing wrong with garage sale thriftiness!), but when you are buying something new, why not go with a fresh arrangement rather than repeating something frm the past?

Dan W thanked Karenmo
  • drdeb1234
    4 years ago

I have Design Within Reach’s Bantam sofa, which I like very much, and with monthly cushion flipping has held up very well. (almost 5 years, daily use).

its very similar in style, and I like the single cushion. It certainly is pricey too, but they do regularly have 15% off sales.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

No loveseats ever 2 sofas or a sofa 2 chairs for more comfortable seating and also the abitity to change the layout from time to time. Since you have 2 chairs just 2 sofas that match

• Dan W
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Patricia... are you suggesting that design wise, two identical sofas is better than just one? And regardless, don’t get a loveseat?

• Karenmo
    4 years ago

Ha, two sofas give you couch potato parity -- both partners can stretch out at the same time.... an investment in domestic harmony.

Dan W thanked Karenmo
  • groveraxle
    4 years ago

Plus, loveseats are useless for anyone but actual lovers (and we don't really want to watch them in our living rooms). Otherwise loveseats are just oversized chairs.

Dan W thanked groveraxle
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

No loveseat. Either 2 lounge chairs or another sofa.

I would select 2 matching lounge chairs and one featured chair to correlate with the sofa.

Dan W thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Dan W
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Interesting. We have a large great room (242" on the SHORT wall) that can likely accommodate the 101" largest of the four sizes offered by R&B with the Andre? What about a 101" long sofa and a 76" small sofa? I'm not sure if you're all saying that it is NEVER a good idea to use two sofas of differing lengths, or just in this particular case? Are loveseats or smallish sofas of 76" just never a good idea?

• Elaine Ricci
    4 years ago

The Katz Gold reminds me of the couch I lived with from birth to age 8 1/2 (1968-1976).

• Elaine Ricci
    4 years ago

I don't think ours had legs like that, but the color was the same.

• hollybar
    4 years ago

I read the term "loveseat" used for seating of all sorts, with lengths from 48" -82". The never do a "loveseat" phrase is just a catchphrase with little utility. Just like "no more than two people will ever sit on a sofa together".

My experience is that the interior dimensions/configuration of a sofa matter, so a 70" sofa with lean arms and a bench cushion seat, will happily accommodate 2 and often 3, say at a crowded party. By happily I mean that someone will sit and stay awhile, not stand or look for another chair. Same sofa with two cushions will hardly ever get that third person, because no one wants to sit on the crack between the cushions. And that can be a problem in general with two cushion sofas. Of any length. Fun fact: Arne Jacobsen's 3 seater sofa is still in production (DWR) and is still 71.75 inches long. With 3 distinct seats. (Granted today, people are bigger, but my general concept holds)

OP, in your situation a long lean sofa and a somewhat shorter twin might be just the ticket. Or not. But before ordering,get a furniture plan together for the whole space. That plan should encompass how many people you want to regularly seat, and roughly how many when entertaining. Include table sizes,lamps,etc. (& round here, I like a mix of softness/firmness and seat heights because some of our friends have mobility issues)

Dan W thanked hollybar
  • Lisa G
    4 years ago

Joybird offers similar style sofas. We have a 3yr old Eliot sectional and Eastwood chairs that look just like the day we got them (daily use) and just bought a Calhoun sofa and ottoman for our loft. We've been very happy with our purchases.

Dan W thanked Lisa G