Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cookie1710

Please help with floor color & kitchen selections

cookie1710
4 years ago

We are renovating our kitchen with white shaker cabinets, and I think we have decided on Cambria Berwyn counters. Probably subway tile backsplash, color TBD. Struggling with the floor color...it will mostly likely be a solid wood floor by Wickham. As of now, we are considering "Haze" in either maple or ash; we are unsure about whether we want a lot of grain or not. We would use the wood in the entire first floor of the house. Furniture in other rooms is no particular style--most furniture to be replaced other than a white antique china cabinet. We will be knocking down the wall with the cooktop/microwave to open up into the dining room. Input (on any aspect of this project) would be welcomed/appreciated!

Comments (8)

• cookie1710
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The kitchen floor we have is laminate, and there is old carpet in the living room, dining room and study, and ceramic tile in the foyer and powder room. We are going to replace the whole first floor and staircase with hardwood, so it will all be the same.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Berwyn is a rather busy countertop. I'd go more subtle w/your wood flooring. you can always jazz up a room with prints, art, rugs, etc. but once you have a busy looking floor, you're a slave to it's look.

If you want specific opinions, then post a picture of the flooring you're considering.

you can never go wrong w/a nice oak.

these last two show a deeper stain. I don't think it's oak, but it's a similar type of graining.

• calidesign
    4 years ago

Decide on the flooring first. I would look for something fairly neutral without a lot of variation since it will be throughout your home. Choose something that goes with the style of the house and your furnishings. Next, choose your countertop to go with your floors and white cabinets. Last is the back splash.

cookie1710 thanked calidesign
  • cookie1710
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Really struggling with the floor. Is this too busy with the countertops? Armstrong American Scrape Nantucket. Floor person recommended this as something that would hold up well to our pets.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

cookie, I think that last one wouldn't be too busy. just know that darker floors will show every hair, smudge and dust mote. If you're cool w/that, then get that color.

cookie1710 thanked Beth H. :
  • cookie1710
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I think it looks darker in this photo than the sample I have. We are definitely planning to stay with a medium-toned wood. Thoughts on scraped? Not exactly what we were planning on, but don't want to drive myself crazy with scratches from our pets.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    4 years ago

I have to disagree. I don't think of the Berwyn as a busy countertop at all. Select your floors first since they are throughout the house... then go to the next step.. I do agree with a nice oak floor or a beautiful hickory. And a scraped floor is really nice for added dimensions