Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
matt_kaczer

Rainy and lack of heat for citrus

Matt z5b - Greenhouse 10a
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I'm sure we're not the only ones experiencing this terrible spring/start to summer. No heat and more rain then I can remember in quite a few years. It's going to be in the 60's this week and pushing low 70's next week. Thank goodness for having a greenhouse, bumping the temps up into the high 80's low 90's. Who else is this happening to? What US states is it affecting? MI, PA, NY?

Comments (12)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    4 years ago

Add Ohio, Cincinnati to the list

Matt z5b - Greenhouse 10a thanked poncirusguy6b452xx
  • socalnolympia
    4 years ago

The PNW has been very cold (talking about 59 degrees) going into late May and early June, but has really been heating up just within the last couple of days (to 82 degrees).

We get a wider range of temperatures because it depends what direction the wind is flowing, and the lack of rain during the Summer months also means there is no rain or clouds to have a moderating effect on the temperature.

So one day might reach a high of only 59, and then 3 days later it might be a high of 87.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    4 years ago

The jet stream is a mess. It belongs in and should of retreated into Canada by now, not dipped into the U.S. There is no end in sight according the the local meteroligist and the farmers almanac. Many weather scientists blame it on across seas, as far as China and their pollution trapped in the atmosphere where the jet stream has stalled because it can't push through their heavy pollution which causes a traffic jam buckling,blocking the jet stream from freely moving west to east.

So good luck to us on the down side of the trough and all the cold coming from Canada. With the absense of the Berumda Highs which are suppose to bring in summery air from the south, we are not expecting a nice hot summer here in the eastern states, and that includes me((( 48 last night and my trees could not be growing any slower. It's almost too wet, then cold, then when it gets sunny , too dry for my orchids to thrive.

So where the jet stream rises out west, they are way above normal and the worst heat wave ever, that includes parts of Europe, and where the jet stream dips, we are way below normal, including us and all of the east states. If the jet stream lifts into Canada as it should, we just might get them nice toasty nights and hot beach weather.

Mike

• socalnolympia
    4 years ago

Seattle is quite warm right now, almost a heat wave. People are out in beach attire.

It's even hotter a few hours south.

• Matt z5b - Greenhouse 10a
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It's for sure noticeable, the climate is not in our favour anymore. as far as extremes both high and low, early - late snow/frost. For those close by do you remember last summer. It was hot from June to about the end of Aug. Most days were in the high 80's low 90's.

• bklyn citrus (zone 7B)
    4 years ago

Here in NYC we finally getting some heat and the Citrus I out out are all finally awakening....(never again will I put stuff out around April 15th will wait until May 15th at the earliest, everyone was happy indoors)....lots of rain too...the dog days will be here soon enough

• christine 5b
    4 years ago

It's raining and on the chilly side here still, upstate NY

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    4 years ago

I had my grafted Meiwa out by march 15th and everything else out by April 3 and they are doing fine. I was so happy to have them outside so early this year.

Steve

• jenny_in_se_pa
    4 years ago

Here in SE PA, we have sortof been on the dividing line between the cold to the north and the hot to the south, depending on how and where the jet stream sets up and ripples. So some days we have had 80s/near 90s and others, more in the 70s. Right now it's actually been in the upper 50s with the latest round of rain (due to be a nor'easter once it heads north of here). This weekend and next week looks to get back into the 80s and possibly 90s but with rain chances much of the time. Since everything I have is in a container, the older larger shrubs sometimes whine during the nicer days forcing me to give them some water before they get hit with the inevitable rainy deluges. lol

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    4 years ago

Jenny you are too funny. Just like me, as much as I hate this dreay weather and cool spell, along with the rain today and a high of 50, it felt good to not have to worry about watering anything today. I actually had time to do other things before work today.

Now, when the heat comes which i love, then I worry about my pots drying out way before I get home. lol I guess there is an up and a down side for everything. When their is time for the beach, this weather stinks.

By the way, I like how you said 'ripples' in the jet stream. That is exactly what should not happen in the summer months. Even in winter it ripples so much these past few years that we can go from the -0 mark to the 70's in Decemeber within days. Nothing stays dormant and things freeze in their tracks before they go dormant.....No wonder I am loosing so many perennials and shrubs as of late(

We were below 0 at Thanksgiving which is very unusual, and back into the 60's in december which is also unusual. Nothing consistent. So lost shrubs and plants lately.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    4 years ago

We've had just an amazing spring here in Northern VA. Really mild April -- no frost since around the first of April -- and then mild with no major heat waves or cold waves. Maybe only two or three days above 90? Wish this would last all summer! Mosquitoes are out though.