Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wuerm

Growing "Laguna" in a container?

Hello!

What do you think, will it be possible to grow "Laguna" rose in a 120 litre (31.7 US liquid gallon) flowerpot, if I will keep it hard pruned (only the branches, not the roots)?

I would like to plant a very healthy fragrant climber which keeps its colour in a full sun at my balcony and I see "Laguna" as the only option. I cannot use fungicides too often because of the neighbours below and even healthy "Teasing Georgia" rose gets powdery mildew in my climate.

Comments (9)

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    4 years ago

Both are new to me but just throwing it out there...would Viking Queen work?

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I have Laguna in a pot. Its not even a big pot. However, she grew through the bottom and has about broken through the whole pot and tipped it sideways -so I guess you can say she is in the ground now. She makes her own way and does as she pleases! Yes she is a huge wild thing! Extremely evil thorns too. She does keep her color here and black spot is minimal. She gets some kind of burnished looking crud to her leaves in the fall but then drops them and regrows the leaves quickly. Keep her out of walkways, seating areas, away from small pets and children lol. I need to get her a set-up like I have The Mermaid in. (round cattle feeder for fencing)

• wurm (Switzerland, 8a)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you very much for the replies!

@farmerduck

I know, "Laguna" is a HUGE rose. My thoughts are: if I will prune her hardly, maybe I will manage to keep her in the pot... Thank you for the comparison with "Teasing Georgia".

@oursteelers

I'm afraid, I will not be able to find "Viking Queen" in our nurseries as I live in Europe... "Teasing Georgia" is a rose, created by David Austin (UK). "Laguna" is created by Kordes (Germany). "Laguna" received "ADR" award, which is given to the most disease resistant roses in Germany.

@sultry_jasmine_nights

Thank you! Could you please tell me, how old is the rose and what is the size of the pot?

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    4 years ago

If you are desiring Kordes, Jasmina & Honeymoon are much more mannerly and would be easier to control. :-)

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    4 years ago

What exactly are you looking for in this climber? Austin bushes can often be grown as short climbers ie. Tess and Falstaff. For a beautiful vigorous rose that has few thorns consider Ghislaine de Feligonde. It did well for me in a pot until I put her in the ground. Aloha is another that stayed healthy in a pot.

• wurm (Switzerland, 8a)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Perma n’ Posies, @vaporvac

Thank you for the replies!

I was considering "Jasmina", but at the website of Kordes it's written, that its height is 300 cm (118 inches), while the height of "Laguna" is 250 cm (98 inches) according to them. "Aloha" is also larger than "Laguna" according to Kordes ("Aloha" is 300 cm or 118 inches). Besides, I'm afraid, that "Aloha" will not keep its colour in a sunny place. My "Teasing Georgia", which was yellow at my previous shady balcony, is now almost white at my new sunny balcony.

By the way, all the mentioned Kordes roses ("Jasmina", "Aloha" and "Laguna") belong to "Climbing Max" collection, which means that they are very large.

"Falstaff" is a very beautiful rose and is available in our nurseries, but it's not very healthy (disease resistance is rated as "average" at the David Austin's website), the fragrance strength is "medium" and the branches can be easily broken in windy weather. We have lots of rain and even "Teasing Georgia" with its excellent health gets powdery mildew here.

All my knowledge is theoretical. I can compare the roses mostly using the information from the websites of their breeders. My choice is based mostly on this information. Therefore, thank you, all, for your posts with your personal experience.

I'm looking for an exceptionally healthy climber (in zone 8a), with strong scent, which will keep its colour in a sunny place (in zone 8a) and will be able to grow in a 31.7 gallon (120 litres) flowerpot.

• ladybug A 9a Houston area
    4 years ago

Have you found a climber for your planter? I have Mme ernst calvat in a large planter, and strangely enough, she is healthy for me. This is blackspot heaven, so I find it very surprising. One year old, and bloomed this spring, nothing through summer but put on lot of growth and leaves looks good.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    4 years ago

Is the cordus climber called quicksilver available to you that 1 doesn't get quite as big

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living