Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aquacow

Is it a no no to remove cabinet space?

Dewayne
4 years ago

We have an L-shaped kitchen with a tiny island and an extremely large pantry. Still dont know what to do with this space.

The kitchen sink isnt centered under the window. And we needed a place for the microwave.

One idea we were floating was, would it be worse off home value wise if the kitchen cabinetry was just the back wall in contemporary finishes and we extended out the island to put in a double basin farm sink, dishwasher, and under cabinet microwave as well as replacing the small window with a larger picture window facing the deck.

Or would it be better to just keep the L-shaped cabinets and possibly rotating the island so it extends further away from the stove.

Comments (34)

• skyecrowley
    4 years ago

Your idea is solid and what I would or want in that kitchen. Bigger island and window wall will be a success.

• hellumme
    4 years ago

Do what will work best for you! I think we’ve gotten too tied to the idea of resale and forgot how to live in our own homes... but if you already have plenty of storage, I don’t think your idea would hurt resale anyway. I actually took out a whole dining room to put in a 9ft island and I couldn’t be happier with that decision.

• Buehl
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

The first thing I'd want to do is move that refrigerator away from the wall -- either move it to a completely new location or at least move it over 9" to 12"! Does it even open completely?

What's to the right of the sink/DW cabinet run?

• Buehl
    4 years ago

How long do you plan to live there? If less than 5 years, then I would probably consider resale. However, if you plan to be in this home for some time (> 5 years), then remodel to suit you and your family.

• Buehl
    4 years ago

You could:

1. Remove upper cabinets flanking the window
    2. Enlarge the window and make it counter-height
    3. Keep the sink & DW under the window (center the sink since it bothers you to not have it centered)
    4. Move the refrigerator over 9" or so from the left wall (9"W Tall Utility Pullout would work - for broom, mop, etc.)
    5. Replace the hood with a nice standalone hood 3" wider than the range and 24" deep (OK, this is my preference...a cabinet hood would work just as well!)
    6. The upper cabinets on the range wall will "die" into the window wall (i.e., end at the window wall)
    7. Rotate the island so the seats face the window
    8. If desired, lengthen the island, but no longer than the run of cabinets on the sink wall.
    9. For each seat, you will need 24" of linear space and 15" of clear leg/knee overhang space.
    10. Make the island 41.5" deep: 1.5" counter overhang on the front + 24"D cabinets + 1" decorative door or end panel + 15" clear knee/leg overhang = 41.5"
    11. Create an aisle at least 45" wide b/w the sink and island -- measured to/from the things that stick out into the aisle the farthest (appliance handles, counter edges, etc.) (note: 48" would be better)
    12. An aisle of 44" behind the seats (if extra space, add up to 3" to the aisle b/w the island & sink to make it 48")
    13. Dish storage in drawers in the island. The aisle will need to be at least 45" wide, though, to allow both the DW door and the drawers to be open at the same time.
    14. I'd put in a MW Drawer to the left of the range to keep it out of the primary work zones (Prep, Cooking, Cleanup)

By keeping the sink along the wall, the island will not be a barrier b/w the refrigerator and primary Prep Zone. However, if you move the sink to the island, the island becomes a barrier island -- a barrier b/w the sink and refrigerator.

No, it doesn't quite follow the normal Kitchen workflow, but it's close. Normal workflow is:

Refrigerator --> Sink --> Prep workspace --> Range

(or, Ice.Water.Stone.Fire. from Marcolo's thread https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2699918/looking-for-layout-help-memorize-this-first)

Note: My list above is pretty extensive and is a major remodel, so if that's not what you want, you'd be better off with living with it as-is until you're ready to do it right -- meaning, start over and get a good, functional design (e.g., following the normal Kitchen workflow).

I like big pantries -- is it a "corner" pantry or is it the distortion of the realtor's picture (they do that to make spaces look larger than they really are.)

• Buehl
    4 years ago

Interesting...the ordered (numbered) list function doesn't work past 9! (Why am I not surprised?!)

When composing the message, the #ing looks correct (in my case, it shows 1 through 14 correctly), but when you submit the message, the #s are incorrect! I see ...8, 9, 0, 11, 2, 3, 4

(It may be a display issue, maybe the "1" is past the left margin -- regardless of "why", it shouldn't be happening -- more evidence of sloppy implementation and insufficient testing! OK, stepping off my system development & testing soapbox.)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

Is that a walk in pantry door I am seeing? The first thing you want, is that GONE if it is

Then you can plan a kitchen

Draw the space, MINUS that pantry clipped corner, with actual dimensions. The entire kitchen and the adjacent space. Start there and post it. add the windows now there, of course. and their dimensions. Forget about the style for now. That's after a plan. A plan.......is appliances and inches. Add your BUDGET.

• felizlady
    4 years ago

You seem to have room to expand the window, but it will involve the structure of the wall and the interior and exterior finishes. Maybe you can add a few upper shelves or cookbook slots to each side of the window instead. I like a window shade for privacy if my neighbors can see into the kitchen.
    If the island isn’t working for you, replace it with an entirely new, longer island extending in the long direction. Adding sinks and a dishwasher to the island will mean a major plumbing overhaul.
    What you can do depends upon your budget.

• Snaggy
    4 years ago

* Is that a walk in pantry door I am seeing? The first thing you want, is that GONE if it is *...I would love a walk in pantry !

• auntthelma
    4 years ago

Walk in pantry is a luxury. Why would you delete one?

• Buehl
    4 years ago

I think it's b/c it appears to be a corner pantry. There seems to be a general "anti-corner pantry" vibe lately on Kitchens without taking into consideration things like location and functionality. It's an "all corner pantries are bad" message.

Corner pantries are not inherently bad or good. As with any pantry, it's where it's located and how it's designed that makes it good or bad.

• Dewayne
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It is a giant walk in “corner” pantry that we LOVED and want to keep. And we figured what we have in our current place for dry and canned foods could go in there instead. But the layout doesnt allow for much deviation because of the staircase thats at the corner of the kitchen space. Heres some additional photos.

• Dewayne
    Original Author
    4 years ago

And a hand drawn floor plan

• petula67
    4 years ago

It's a bright, pretty space already, and I can't imagine a prospective buyer thinking there was a shortage of cabinets even if you removed a few. My suggestion is to take down the orphaned wall cabinet to the right of the window as practice, just to see how you like the open look. I think the wall cabinets to the left of the window could actually stay without looking unbalanced, but you might find otherwise. If they stayed, you could avoid the whole corner/transition to the other wall issue. The non-centered sink under the window doesn't bother me at all, and I'm usually obsessive about that kind of thing. Leaving the plumbing and window just as they are could save you some $$s to spend on that tiny, sad little island, which really is screaming for a makeover. I'm not sure if people love or hate microwave drawers, but that might be an option for an expanded island.

• zellenpat
    4 years ago

Your going to spend time and money on this project. And although most of the advice is good why do you want a bunch of amatuers giving you advice? Get some professional help! Many places do free or low cost designs. And since you are concerned, foolishly, resale they know current trends. Do it right the first time!

• Kendrah
    4 years ago

Here, here chispa! I learned so much on houzz before even looking for pros to hire, it really helped me suss out who knew their stuff and who didn't.

The first thing I would do before expanding your daydreams is to figure out your budget for a kitchen remodel and then add 20% to it. Next, I would have a plumber look at your space and see what is involved in relocating sink and dishwasher to the island.

I'm curious what the flooring is like under the cabinets where the sink is. If you remove the cabinets, will you be able to tell that they were once there?

Renovating a kitchen is like tugging a little thread on a sweater and unraveling the whole thing. This is how we went from replacing a broken stove to a $60k+ remodel.

At the very least it seems like you could have made a larger island with a microwave and keep everything else the same. The off center sink does not bother me.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

It's not that corner pantries are bad, it's that in most cases, they're over RATED. The stairs created a separation between kitchen/dining and living , no matter what you do. I doubt those are moving. I bet you can't get a vegetable bin out of that fridge, without pulling it into the room. The LOO is around the corner..................I'd settle for more separation, unify the flooring and just get a better kitchen . A reach in tall pantry can hold a ton. Everything begins with a pro onside, and not a cabinet seller. The living space at roughly 13 x 27 is perfectly useful, because unless you're giving up a powder room on that floor? . You may as well afford the loo some privacy from gathering spaces.

Nobody can fully design it, or provide answers here. You need the on site pro's. A consideration of how you dine with friends, a lot of thought and a budget : ) I'd lose the raised hearth too. All it does is eat up ptential dining space.

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

Have you purchased this already? Sounds like your pantry goods are at another home. I advise you live with this like it is for a year and figure out what works and doesn't. At the end of a year, you will have accumulated lists, ideabooks and costs for doing what must be done for this space to function for you. Personally, I think overhead cabinets and reach in shelves are overrated; especially if you're on the other side of 50. Look into installing an entire "drawer/pullout" kitchen. I agree that the corner pantry is eating up a lot of floor space. Unless it has an outlet so you can put the MW there, I'd rather do what Jan drew out.

• Snaggy
    4 years ago

Why on earth would you put the Microwave in a pantry when you need it in the Kitchen ?

• skunst2017
    4 years ago

If the window bothers you so much , then make it bigger on the left side ..and center it . I would start there ..then live with the rest for a little while to see what YOUR needs are ...
    Looking at your space ...I would make the counter much larger for people to sit near you while cooking ..use it as a bar counter /or breakfast /quick family meal ...and add more shelves or cabinet underneath the addition or the countertop . Go slow ...you will know what you need after living there a while ..also , it looks nice as is !

• msubreeze
    4 years ago

Dewayne, I loved your wishlist. It really helps to see what you dream for your home.

First, decide if you want to spend $$$$$ or $$. Changing windows, moving islands (which may require flooring changes) can be expensive.

Your micro could go over the stove, not my favorite idea, but least expensive and better than the countertop! I like the microwave drawers, a friend has one and combined it with a warming drawer under the counter. You could add it to the island or put it under the counter to one side or another of the stove.

It costs money to replace a brand new countertop, but if you could do that, I would rather see the sink centered. I would bet you may be able to do that without a huge expense for plumbing. Worth finding out. BUT it may even be cheaper to replace the window instead of all the granite. I actually bumped my window out 9” and it made the sink area seem less crowded.

I would do 2 things with the fridge: (but would require cutting countertop $$) I would pick one of the upper and lower cabinets to the left of the stove and move it to the left of the fridge. Then build out the upper cab over the fridge so it comes out to meet front of fridge, put in thin side walls to cover sides of fridge. Those thin walls may be called “skins”. Moving the larger cabinet may make a more useful area to left of the fridge.

Replace the door to the pantry with a French door or etched glass door. When lights are out, you won’t see inside the pantry either way but makes it more interesting.

Add trim to the island and paint it. In fact, you seem to like dark cabinets... don’t be afraid to stain or paint the cabinets. Add your handles!

Get rid of the vertical window treatment. The door space is narrow. I would either not use a treatment or do something that attaches to the doors like a Roman shade or shutters. Looks like you have a nice view!

The fireplace could use a little work. Not sure you need a hearth step. Wonder if you could replace it with a horizontal fireplace and trim it out with something more interesting - although I like the shelf over it. Would you put a couple chairs and an ottoman there?

Could you open up the stair a little with a railing?

I love a banquet. Your dining room may be a perfect place for one!

Hope you have wonderful neighbors and many happy days in your home! Keep us posted on what you decide!

• skunst2017
    4 years ago

Ps to zellenpat , most questions are asked in this forum to get "others ideas, others opinions ...and even some expert advise ..., because some of the people answering here are professionals... Others , like me just have built , designed , lived in and sold over 15 houses ......, soooo, what we have learned along the way and shared here in this wonderful forum can be helpful ...as is your advise to get a professional yes , it's a good one .., but of course they knew that already ...here , most people who ask of others opinions ...just want to mull over ideas .....ITS an ideas forum . .... !!!!!!! Have a nice day ..., from one of the "bunch of unprofessionals "

• tartanmeup
    4 years ago

"I'd lose the raised hearth too. All it does is eat up ptential dining space."

Sorry, I'm not understanding this, JAN. How close can you sit near a working fireplace?

I agree with living with this kitchen for a good few months to see what really works for you and what doesn't. Then you can plan properly.

• Dewayne
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I really appreciate all the words of advice. Good and bad. I also had professionals come and talk about the design. Heres one proposed design.

The fireplace area would be the future dining room.

• herbflavor
    4 years ago

Why don't you run a peninsula off the wall where dishwasher sits now. Lots of seating near patio door. Keep casement or other windows above counter height : you can do 3 mulled together but I wouldn't put in the single window interfering with counter . No value .

• mainenell
    4 years ago

That seems like so much less kitchen than the original layout.

• Dewayne
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Right? I’m so confused about how to make the space feel more open while making the island larger without blocking walk lines to the back door.

Heres another example with the same one wall deletion but without changing the window. Seems... off.

• mainenell
    4 years ago

I think it seems “off” because your kitchen is great as an L-shape with an island. And very open. Turn the island and make it bigger and get the fridge away from the wall so you can fully access it. That will make a fabulous kitchen.

• roccouple
    4 years ago

I think whoever did those renderings mismeasured your kitchen or is making a larger pantry? The length of that wall looks a lot shorter than the pics. when I count cabinets on that back wall in the pic its ~12? But in the rendering it’s 10? The fridge-stove distance seems to have shrunk.

I dont really like the rendered kitchen. I might get a 2nd opinion for a similar idea The idea of rotating the island is nice too as then people could look out the window. However it’s less social with whoever is in the kitchen...

• herbflavor
    4 years ago

Your space is already open. Your task should be in relation to your budget: 1. How much and what type of cabinet storage 2 . Usefulness or not of changing windows/ dismantling pantry and other infrastructure aspects 3. Plans for your length of time and real estate factors where this is located. 4. Seating needs which is not just a kitchen issue but lifestyle factor and only you know about friends/ family/relatives and what activity level you need/desire and if that may change over time. Did you know you can close up the little window change to French doors and add sidelights or bigger door? You have the space and it would be great here! I just ordered siding/windows and noted that "walls of windows" bypass glass doors , double French doors ,are enhancing indoor/outdoor connection. We didn't have the space for some of this but you can consider a few things , more than just your kitchen wall runs, and should.

• petula67
    4 years ago

Might be ugly for a while, but what if you taped off a section of the floor that a larger island w/seating might occupy, and then try not walking there for a few weeks to see how much it would really interfere with use of that back door? Actually blocking a doorway is one thing, but keeping such a wide, straight path to that door seems like an under-utilization of potentially valuable space.

• Buehl
    4 years ago

If you decide to mock it up, don't just use tape. You need the "mass" of the object as well -- something that forces you to move around it (and not let you "cheat" by passing an arm over it) and something that will definitely change the "feel" of the room.

Live with it for a week or so, but not so long that you adapt to it to point where issues are now ignored b/c you've adapted. (Human beings are great at adapting to just about everything -- good or bad! Don't plan for something with issues just b/c you can adapt -- the goal is to make it better, not trade some bad for other bad.)

• Lyndee Lee
    4 years ago

Those renderings of a proposed design don't appeal to me at all. I want hate having the best countertop space interrupted with a sink. I like to have a large flat surface to bring in groceries, unpack everything and sort things.