Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gle2011

Hydrangea macrophylla Minimum Sunlight Requirement.

gle2011
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Central Massachusetts Zone 5b.

I moved a hydrangea macrophylla that I thought was getting to much afternoon sun into a full shade area in the afternoon because the plant looked droopy by late afternoon.

I was wondering what is the minimum amount of sunlight is needed to produce flowers?

Please see picture from July 2018 below; this is a picture of a sister plant I have in Southern Maine, Zone 5b, that gets morning sun and afternoon shade.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5689427/variety-recognition#n=17

Thank you in advance.

Comments (10)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

In your zone, it is less a case of lack of sunlight impeding flowering than it is winter and late spring cold. I grow macs that receive NO direct sunlight - just dappled all day shade - and they bloom profusely. Heavy shade could be an impediment but light shade or a few hours of morning sun then shade for the rest of the day should be fine.

But I'd suspect the lack of flowering will due to cold damage unless you winter protect.

gle2011 thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • gle2011
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank You gardengal48,

Most of the hydrangeas in my area did not get off too a good start this spring, they were late coming out of dormancy. We had less snow cover than normal and a lot of cold rainy days this spring.

I did see the start of a bud yesterday on the plant I am questioning.

My fingers are crossed.

Thanks again

• luis_pr
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

As long as the shade is not dense shade, macs can do well in bright shade, dappled sun and morning sun. It will not prevent droopiness in the late afternoon when temps get hot. It may minimize it but I always get some wilting now and then. Just make sure that the shrub is mulched and the soil remains as evenly moist as you can. That way, the hydrangeas can correct themselves on their own at night. In other words, let them be wilted as long as the soil has moisture.

One of my sister's neighbor's had one in dappled sun while I have two in bright shade. They all produce flowers. The ones that give me trouble are arborescens and paniculatas in bright shade. When they get little sun, the blooms may start green and either stay green for a long time or for the whole of the season.

What is the name of this variety that you have? I am trying to determine if it blooms once or twice.

gle2011 thanked luis_pr
  • gle2011
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi Luis,

The hydrangea is being used as a foundation planting.

The shade is being produced by the shadow of the garage.

First year in the location if it lacks flowering I could move it back to the full afternoon sun 10+ hours and water daily as needed.

I am hoping the shade area works out, for easy maintenance.

Thanks for your input.

• guyground
    4 years ago

Full sun is best in the North. Not blooming is probably due to lack of winter protection. i

gle2011 thanked guyground
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

Full sun is not exactly "best" for any mac, regardless of location. I am located farther north than probably anyone else on this forum and full sun is still too much sun for macs in my cool summer climate. Morning sun, afternoon shade.......or all day dappled shade.

But I do agree lack of flowering is not likely due to sun exposure but rather winter or late spring cold. It would have to be very heavy, intense shade to get no flowering at all.

gle2011 thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • Billy (Zone6 Mass)
    4 years ago

Gle,

I’m not too far away from you. Mine only get about 3 hours of direct sunlight. I winter protected mine this past winter and here is how they currently look

gle2011 thanked Billy (Zone6 Mass)
  • guyground
    4 years ago

From what I've seen you get best blooming with full (6+) hours of sun in the North. Morning sun is definitely better than afternoon sun. Some shade from the hottest part of the afternoon very helpful. That being said lack of sun is typically not reason for failure to bloom. Lack of winter protection usually is.

Good Luck !

gle2011 thanked guyground
  • nancylouise5me
    4 years ago

I agree with guyground. We have been growing our Macros in our So. Maine garden in full sun for over 20 years. They have done very well there. This year like everyone else in this area due to less snow and wet spring, the Macros got off to a late start. They are finally fully leaved out and growing. We keep our hydrangeas well watered and feed once or twice a year. Not a problem being in full sun.

gle2011 thanked nancylouise5me