Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marcyblocker11

1/2 Glass in Showers...

Marcy Blocker
4 years ago

Hi All. I love the look of the 1/2 glass frameless panel in the tub/shower. I just want to know how practical this is? My kids are a bit older (14 and 11), but I'm thinking of practicality and resale. Does water get out? It looks really nice but from a functionality standpoint, curious to know if it's practical. Thanks in advance.

Comments (9)

• Marcy Blocker
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I was more looking into the Tub (with shower) and 1/2 glass panel there. Not full enclosed glass doors. This is open—the glass panel is only by the shower head and the rest is open.

• Kirsten E.
    4 years ago

I wouldn't worry too much about resale; if someone prefers a rod or full glass panel, it's easy enough to switch out.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

This is one I have done for a few clients they seem to like it a lot

• Oliviag
    4 years ago

We had a similar enclosure in a hotel tub/shower in Germany last month. I didn't have any issues with water splashing.

• PRO
    Trinity Builders & Design, Inc.
    4 years ago

We've recently done a job with half glass panel in a shower. From our customer's feedback with a rain shower head, she does not have issues with water getting out.

Hollywood Condo · More Info

• Cavimum
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

We had that half-glass type tub/shower in a very nice hotel in northern Italy, last year. It was a chilly night in October, in the Dolomite mountains, and I froze to death while taking a shower. Same difference as one of those walk-in showers with no door at all. Hated it. But if getting cold during winter while showering or until you are dried off is not an issue, then go for it.

• remodeling1840
    4 years ago

The logic behind only one panel escapes me. Most people say they want it because they don’t want to squeegee the second panel. That tells you water gets on that area,too. DH is an enthusiastic bather. In every bathroom where we’ve been stuck with one of these, there has been a dangerous amount of water on the floor and excess water on the surrounding fixtures. Frankly, even though I am not as splashy a bather as DH, I don’t want to be so careful in the shower. I especially dislike being cold and the open space lets in a draft.

• adawn5
    4 years ago

I already wrote this in a different thread but it somewhat applies here, except I'm talking about a
    narrow (33") shower with a curb and glass panel not a tub/shower with panel. The TL;DR is that I find that a 40" fixed panel is the minimum in length I would go with that set up and even with that I find myself having to be careful/mindful when wielding the handheld so as not to spray outside the shower with either the handheld or the water bouncing off my body from the handheld spray if I get to close to the shower opening. Even though it looks sleeker without the door and requires less squeegeeing, I would have chosen a door (if it were my shower) just so that I could feel less constrained, if that makes any sense.

Here's my prior thoughts:

"My mom switched from a tub to a curbed shower, shower dimension approx 64 x33" (tub it replaced was 66"L). She went with a 24" opening (no door) and just a 40" fixed glass panel (she upgraded to 1/2" [starphire] glass and it looks nice and substantial).

I (personally), with the width of her shower, would not do any less than 40" of glass because she has a handheld in addition to a fixed shower head. As it is, with 40" of glass, I feel like I have to be careful when wielding the handheld sprayer. (She has a handheld and fixed head w/diverter.)

Splash factor: no real issue with the fixed shower head splashing off my hair/body. Maybe a little bit on the granite curb but not much. However, with the handheld, I feel like I have to be careful what angles I'm spraying at and which way I'm facing and how far back in the shower I'm standing to mind the splash factor. Definitely gets the curb wet and a little bit of water may hit the thick bathmat right in front of the 24" opening. So whenever I shower in there, I feel a little constrained.

It doesn't seem to bother my mom at all; maybe I just go more "crazy" with the handheld than she does? (And her hansgrohe handheld doesn't even very intense settings. It does have a pulse setting but it's nothing like the Waterpik showerhead in the basement or a couple of the settings on the Moen Twist I'm planning to put in another shower.)

Just my 2 cents."