Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharon2079

Whiteflies... killing my milkweed... also on my roses stunting them

sharon2079
4 years ago

I know that it might hurt the caterpillars, but I would like to spray something to KILL the whiteflies to get them under control...

It is WAY to HOT for neem oil so I am looking for some other kind of insecticide, but I don't want a systemic because I don't want it to linger in the milkweed.... any suggestions....

Thanks

Sharon

Comments (4)

• dirtygardener
    4 years ago

I had the same problem on my Confederate Rose hibiscus, and I finally resorted to using Bayer Advanced Rose and Flower Care after fighting them for 3 years. I haven't seen any this year, but if I do, I'm applying again at the first sign.

sharon2079 thanked dirtygardener
  • ritaweeda
    4 years ago

Sharon, Bayer Advanced Rose and Flower Care is a systemic, the only thing I can think of besides a systemic and malathion or neem oil is liquid Sevin. That does kill caterpillars and anything on contact but won't affect any of the insects looking for nectar. Flying insects are very hard to control. I had a very bad white-fly infestation once in Tampa on all my Golden Dewdrops, I thought I would never get rid of them. And I think there is a newer variety that has come in the last few years that are even worse than the normal ones, I hope you don't have those.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    4 years ago

Hmm, the Bayer is Imidacloprid, so I'd do some serious thinking before going that way. Unless you mean the granules and then it's Clothianidin, another neonicotinoid.

• dirtygardener
    4 years ago

I can understand that. The reason I decided to risk it with the Confederate Rose is because it blooms in late fall, when there aren't many bees around. In fact, a gardening friend here says she never gets seeds on hers because it blooms too late for the bees. I hope I don't kill any bees, but I'd really like to see blooms on this tree at least once before I leave here.