Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rubyclaire1

I do this every time...help me decide!

rubyclaire
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I narrow my choices down to two and then dither endlessly before finally making a choice. I am down to these two lighting fixtures for our new dining room. (Photo from real estate listing - walls will be painted a shade of white yet to be determined.) (I'll probably be back for help with that...)

What do you think?

Comments (78)

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh, I really like that Ida! Thanks -

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ok, that last one is gorgeous but it is a little spendy for me at this point in the money pit!

ETA: I think 16-18" will work fine in this space.

• Gcubed
    4 years ago

Have you looked at Shades of Light? They have some nice brass/black options

rubyclaire thanked Gcubed
  • rubyclaire
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes, I have been shopping all the usual lighting subjects and am getting tired and stuck. I need some nudges to get me unstuck so thank you - I will definitely check them out again.

• User
    4 years ago

I like all the new choices. No help I know.

Glad you went with #2.

Your ottoman is fantastic!

rubyclaire thanked User
  • rubyclaire
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Shee - actually it is helpful. You like the new choices and not the ones I offerred up. Very helpful! And thanks - the ottoman was an out of my comfort zone choice and I almost returned it but now I just absolutely love it.

• User
    4 years ago

Is this too quirky for you?

"Quirky" meaning really weird, I know...My taste is rather...unusual and that's fine :)

rubyclaire thanked User
  • rubyclaire
    Original Author
    4 years ago

That is really beautiful penny! Not sure it is quite right for my space but in the right space, this would be a stunner. Where did you come across this one?

• Allison0704
    4 years ago

I like the brass and black lantern you posted but it might be too big/heavy for the space. Ida posted some pretties, but I would find one that is black instead of brass.

How high is the ceiling? You don't want a fixture that hangs down too low and makes anyone coming in to think they have to duck. The bottom of fixture should not be lower than the top of the door.

OT, but are you going to paint the back of the bookcases?

A small version lantern (but still think it might be too low in your space). Start looking at semi-flush fixtures.

rubyclaire thanked Allison0704
  • rubyclaire
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks allison - I agree about the heaviness of the black and brass lantern. The simple lantern that Ida shared does come in a steel option.

The painters come next week and I was planning to just do the White Dove on the walls and trim - including the bookshelves. I am open (and welcome) suggestions!

• Allison0704
    4 years ago

*I edited my posts a few times. FYI

Just saw your post with furniture, and mention of eclectic/modern traditional. What about this light? Click here, Shades of Light. fwiw, you can always use Google image search and find fixtures for less elsewhere (although sometimes SoL has best prices).

• Allison0704
    4 years ago

Or no bare bulb,click here.

• Allison0704
    4 years ago

Another pretty fixture,click here.

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Those are great options - I do like something that is more pendant light rather than flush. I love this one but it is a little more than I'd like to spend on this fixture.

Really like a black/brass option.

• IdaClaire
    4 years ago

Rubyclaire, I love that one you shared (that I had posted) that comes in the steel option. And you know, you could always use good ol' Rub 'n' Buff (which I SWEAR is a miracle worker) to enhance it in any way that you wanted, if the finish wasn't quite right. That stuff is amazing.

• just_terrilynn
    4 years ago

These are nice in a minimalist sort of way. I didn’t read the details but It dawned on me that if possible some brass candle sleeves would really look snappy.

rubyclaire thanked just_terrilynn
  • rubyclaire
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ida, I really like the lantern you posted in the steel, too. The price point is good for me and I am seriously considering "enhancing" it with a little Rub n Buff as you (and jterri) suggest.

• User
    4 years ago

Rubyclaire, the art glass one above is from etsy.

rubyclaire thanked User
  • just_terrilynn
    4 years ago

Ruby, love that round you posted!

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Me too jterri - it's over $600 so I'm trying to find a budget friendlier option. I didn't notice when we looked at this house that I really needed to change EVERY light fixture. They are perfectly fine but just very not my style.

• IdaClaire
    4 years ago

Do you want someone to dissuade you from the $600 round one? I think it looks very 1970s. Not that that's BAD, necessarily. Just sayin'. ;-)

• Allison0704
    4 years ago

... and will be a pain to change light bulbs.

• just_terrilynn
    4 years ago

...and will be a pain to change light bulbs.

This is true! I have a bell dome style in my MBath and it takes two. Actually I haven’t had to change a bulb in four years but I do have to remove the glass for cleaning...takes two but I only do that once a year.

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Y'all are great...talented and practical! Ok, so the round one is off the list. I'm still very attracted to the lantern Ida shared. Jt - those are also great options but somehow the simplicity of the lantern is still calling to me.

• just_terrilynn
    4 years ago

Yes, I’m a sucker for lanterns. I added a few more with a bit of brass.

I’m not affiliated in any way with Lighting New York (above) but ordered all my house lighting from them (excluding two bath RH sconces). I go through the gal below, she told me at the time it was ok to post her info. She gives a decent discount.

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Those are great jt - especially D & E. Unfortunately, D is unavailable and E is only 11". :(

• just_terrilynn
    4 years ago

D is available but non-returnable. So, a gamble. You would need it to be much cheaper for that.

(E) spec’s ...too tall?

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Shoot - got them mixed up. D is the one that is only 11". I fear that may be a bit small for the space. I use LIghting NY as well. I ordered the dining room chandelier and my kitchen lighting from them - great prices! Thanks JT.

• just_terrilynn
    4 years ago

Hey (I’m not pushing this light) but...if you liked it I found it much cheaper on another site I have never ordered from.

Instead of $398 look at this. And, what’s with the “make offer” key?

Anyone know about this or ordered from here?

https://www.goinglighting.com/Prd/2661245/B-Crystorama-Lighting/?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=PLA_430_CRY&mt=&k1=&ap=1o2&utm_adgroup=430_CRYOS&SR=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyJG3rPnB4wIVBYrICh2FJw-oEAUYAiABEgIvk_D_BwE&isf=1

• User
    4 years ago

I just found this when I was clearing out my files...just thought I would check...

rubyclaire thanked User
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    4 years ago

Ruby, I love the lantern you posted after the Moravian star. Where is it from?

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks JT - that site is new to me as well.

Penny - that is very cool but probably a little too contemporary for this space. Thanks for sharing it!

Bumble - that particular lantern is from Ballard Designs.

Piedmont Lantern

I'm really considering the Feiss Thayer lantern in the steel. I really like the shape of this one in particular. I may also try and customize it to look more like some of th black/brass ones shared. The Thayer lantern also comes in a semi-flush mount that may work in an area of my kitchen that has been bedeviling me.

Thanks again everyone!

• Allison0704
    4 years ago

Rubyclaire, the Thayer lanterns are pretty, but even the smaller one is a bit large: 16" wide x 26.5" high, and that's without any chain.

The Ballard Design Piedmont Lantern is 13" wide x 18.5" high, also without chain. Your front door appears to be 6'8" (normal height) and ceilings look 8' Here is the Piedmont in a foyer with a higher (at least 9ft) ceiling, from the Ballard website.

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    4 years ago

allison - jeez, I was so focused on the width measurement I didn't even notice the height! Told y'all I needed help...

The ceilings are 10ft and the front door is an 8ft in this house. I was thinkin something in the 16" - 18" width would work but obviously I haven't done the math. What do you think?

• Allison0704
    4 years ago

You're welcome. I'm glad you finally realized the earlier point I was trying to make. LOL

I would not order until I measured from the top of the door (when open) to the ceiling. That way, you don't make any mistakes. I ordered almost all of our light fixtures online for our last house (about 30!) and current house (only 10) and made no mistakes, so I've had a lot of practice. Once you have the max height (with chain or a semi-flush fixture) then start looking again.

• Rachel Lee
    4 years ago

rubyclaire thanked Rachel Lee
  • just_terrilynn
    4 years ago

Something like a 19” to 22” total height (including ceiling plate & chain) do you think?

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I can't thank you enough allison! Am I to assume that my fixture should hang just at or above the door height? Theoretically 24"? I will absolutely measure and go back to square one. By the way, based on what you have shared of your homes, you clearly know what you are doing!

At least the Thayer semi-flush will work in my kitchen - thanks again to Ida for suggesting. Even if it won't work for my foyer :).

• Allison0704
    4 years ago

Thank you.

If the door is a 6'8" and the ceiling is 8', that leaves approximately 16" from ceiling to top of the door.

I searched for, but could not find, a Thayer semi-flush fixture. Both I saw are chandeliers.

• just_terrilynn
    4 years ago

The ceilings are 10’ so I was thinking 19” to 22” total. Maybe 22” it looks better with a bit of gap before the door top.

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I think I understand the math now. These are actually 10ft ceilings and an 8ft door so I think the max height with chain, etc. is 24".

Thayer Semi-Flush

ETA: JT - you are probably right that something in the 22 - 23" would look best.

• Allison0704
    4 years ago

I missed that earlier, so I would shoot for 22" max with chain and ceiling plate.

Thanks for the link.

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks allison - I'll do that. You saved me a certain return :)!

• just_terrilynn
    4 years ago

This is a long shot I know...but, I’m digging the eclectic nature .

http://hyelighting.com/brand-10/sku-103141

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you for sticking with the hunt Jt!! I am getting a little fatigued. I seem to have gotten focused on the lantern shape and still like the Ballard one above and this new one is similarly sized but with less bulk.

I may need to take a break and come back with a fresh eye. I'm still interested in suggestions, though! Thanks again -

• Allison0704
    4 years ago

You could use the Ballard lantern or the larger Thayer lanterns in your kitchen (cooking area, raised ceiling - I search for and found your house. I promise I am not a creeper. :D When you post a RE listing photo, it takes all of 2 seconds to find.

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Note to self :). Well...since you mentioned the kitchen, I will share what is going in the space over the eating area and over the sink.

Over table

Two over sink area

I was thinking I should keep the fixture in the tray simple and quiet. Does this change anything regarding your suggestion?

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Everything but the kitchen cooking area (in tray) and the foyer are chosen. What do you think of these options with the other lighting? Anyone still with me ha ha? I'm getting bored so I know you all must be beyond bored...

Thanks again -

ETA: Found the Thayer lantern in a 12" wide and 20.5" high. Still a little tall but maybe?