Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_31274514

Adding linen closet to small bathroom

User
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Our guest room has a large reach-in closet that’s about 7’ wide. We need to replace the doors on it, and it’s impossible to get them this size without special ordering them and spending a small fortune. The closet itself is WAY bigger than we need it to be for a guest room, so I was thinking of stealing some space from it and adding a linen closet into our main bathroom that backs onto the guest room.

Then the guest closet would be about 4’ wide (perfect for our needs - and super easy to get replacement doors for) and we’d get some more much-needed storage in our bathroom. We have a small linen closet in our hallway which just isn’t cutting it.

My husband thinks it will look weird to have an extra door in our bathroom though, in the middle of the wall. I think it would be fine though! This closet area also has the access to our attic, so I can’t just do open storage in the bathroom instead. It needs to be a standard closet with ceiling access and removable shelves.

Current layout (small square at bottom of guest closet is the existing hallway linen closet):

Proposed layout:

What do you think? Would it look okay? Tell me I’m not crazy! :)

Comments (16)

• skyecrowley
    4 years ago

I think you idea makes a lot of sense.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

Make linen in bath only TWO feet wide, leave the guest clothes closet at five feet. Change the guest to a two door with out swing doors and a ball catch, versus the by pass you now have.

You don't want a huge door opening into your bath. Get a contractor for simple framing.

In answer to the question, NO it's not weird

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

I agree that the guest closet needs to be larger if you ever plan on selling I think I would do open shelving with some decor not just linens and if you put the top shelf near the ceiling it will be removeable and look like the top of the cabinet.I actually agree with hubby too many doors in a very small space Something like this for bathroom stuff in pretty jars and towels and leave the hall one for bedding.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

She stated no need for seven feet of closet in guest. The attic access may be in a position needing access from it ( linen) as well.

A five foot swing out is more accessible storage than annoying bypass doors too :)

• Mrs Pete
    4 years ago

I'd much rather have the storage IN the bathroom. Just last week I spent the night at my oldest daughter's house (her husband was traveling, and we had a PJ party -- so much fun!), and after my shower I found myself dripping wet in her guest bathroom wondering how to reach the linen closet, which was out in the hall.

I was going to recommend exactly what Patricia recommended (and so kindly pictured) above. Open shelves excuse you from the need for a door ... you can hide ugly/untidy things in baskets ... and you can leave the bottom half open for a hamper.

• felizlady
    4 years ago

I think it works if you can open the bathroom wall just next to the adjacent hall closet. The closet would be narrower than a door and you could use two cabinet doors (one above the other) instead of a regular door, so it will look like a normal linen closet door.
    Go for it!

• erinsean
    4 years ago

I would not want open shelves in my bathroom....too many bottles, TP, towels, makeup and etc. Baskets would help but wouldn't work in our house. We have a closet in our bathroom with a regular door...doesn't bother me at all and gives me a place to hide all my things. Go ahead and do it!

• petula67
    4 years ago

How about felizlady's idea of opening up access to hallway closet from the bath, but instead of using standard cabinet doors, use annoying bypass doors for the new, large bathroom closet? That would avoid the problem of door swing allowances.

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks everyone! Badgergal’s picture is almost exactly what ours would look like, and I like it. I think I can make the guest closet about 4.5’ wide to accommodate the attic opening in the new linen closet but that would be the perfect size for us. The bathroom linen closet would then be about 24” wide.

I‘m not a fan of open storage in my house (I have a toddler that gets into everything, plus I don’t want to see the inevitable disorganization... And there’s so much dusting to do with open shelves!) so I think the closet makes the most sense! Our house has very little storage so I feel like this might be a great improvement for us. My husband can do this kind of project pretty quickly so it won’t be a huge deal once he agrees with me! :)

• Cavimum
    4 years ago

Would a 4' 5" closet in that guest room hurt you at resale time? I'm not a realtor, but it would walk away from a house with such a tiny closet if I had a child to put in that bedroom.

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

No, we live in a modest starter/downsizer home so this wouldn’t hurt resale value. People aren’t buying in my neighbourhood for huge rooms and walk-in closets or anything. Kids are fine with 4’ closets (that is the size we have in my daughter‘s room). If you were to consider that a tiny closet, you’d hate to see the rest of the place! :)

And this is our “forever home” so I don’t worry too much about reselling.

• petula67
    4 years ago

Sizes for both closets seem perfectly fine for use as closets, but must admit the logistics of the attic access don't sound great (unless I'm misunderstanding the plan). A 2' square space doesn't leave much room for a human to maneuver, especially once you frame the door. It wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me, since I'd use the closet more than I would access the attic, but still might be an issue down the road if a large repair-person can't squeeze into your attic.

• skunst2017
    4 years ago

Sliding door if you must have a door ..I prefer open shelves ..in the bathroom ...but , you can do a different type of door ...as in sliding ..or folding door with openings for air to get through ...you need ventilation in a bathroom closet .....
    To prevent mildew from the humidity ...

• petula67
    4 years ago

Any chance you can relocate the attic access out to the hallway? Then you could recess a linen cabinet in bathroom wall, reframe opening to guest room closet, and choose sizes without constraint of attic panel.

• petula67
    4 years ago

Other option: leave attic panel where it is, but instead of framing a closet w/door in bathroom, frame it as a niche and place a free-standing linen cabinet in that space. Some of them are pretty. The cabinet could be moved out of the way if attic access were needed, and this would allow more space for placing and climbing stepladder.