Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

New roses to you that have been impressive this season?

sara_ann-z6bok
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

What new rose or roses have impressed you this season?

So far I’ve been impressed with my new Oklahoma Rose on multiflora. The bush has continually set on blooms, seems reasonably healthy and the fragrance is lovely.. Quicksilver and Pearly Gates have also impressed me.

Comments (29)

• Ken Wilkinson
    4 years ago

I only have one new rose this year and so far, I'm impressed. It's a HT. The parents are Hot Princess and Gemini. Knowing how picky the hybridizer is (Johnson from Oklahoma), I kinda figured it would be nice.

Say hello to "Hot Prince"

sara_ann-z6bok thanked Ken Wilkinson
  • hugogurll
    4 years ago

State of Grace reminds me of a take on Distant Drums with different colors .

sara_ann-z6bok thanked hugogurll
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    4 years ago

Ken and S-A, those are seriously "HOT" looking blooms! Marloreno, you grow the most unusual roses, at least to those of us stateside. The newest Austins are tempting me.....gorgeous!, but I am especially drawn to Scented Garden and the unavailable AMSND. What an exquisite colour in a form that's so useful for spreading around the base of roses reminding nee of a deeper International Herald Tribune or even Dr. Huey. It seems unlikely we'll ever see that one over here. : ((

sara_ann-z6bok thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • seil zone 6b MI
    4 years ago

Ooo, some new ones for me! Does that Scented Garden live up to it's name,Mal? Ken, I looked at Hot Prince and wasn't sure. I'll have to look again!

New for me this year is Champagne Wishes. It's been blooming nearly non-stop.

Also new is Waiheke. However, I'm not sure that is what this is. All the pictures I see are much pinker but this rose is definitely ORANGE!

I also got Oh Happy Day but it hasn't bloomed yet. I'm disappointed in that one.

sara_ann-z6bok thanked seil zone 6b MI
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    4 years ago

I have only two, Evelyn and Sweet Frances.

Oops, I lied; I forgot about Eyes for You. It's a darling little rose.

sara_ann-z6bok thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    4 years ago

No pic, and it's not new to many here, but my baby Peggy Martin, purchased as a band last year and not planted until fall (not a good idea here) is growing by leaps and bounds and blooming big time. I'm hoping it will cover a good size arbor with a little help from a clematis.

sara_ann-z6bok thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    4 years ago

PeggyMartin is a great rose, flowers. I finally got my two in the ground and they are as happy as clams putting out new growth. No pic here either (for the moment), but I'm by and large happy with all my purchases this year. However, Star of the Republic stands out for all-over vigor coupled with a gorgeous flower and scent. If she's anything like she is in a pot once I get her in the ground she could become a favourite. Clean as a whistle also which is saying a lot! I'm also like the growth, health and vigor of The Repeating Swamp Rose and The Chestnut Rose, both of which are still in pots. OOOh! I almost forgot one I'll be planting today as it's grown so much and that is Cl. Orange Triumph which isn't orange at all (thank goodness for me!). It's actually a colour hard to describe, but maybe nearer to the cocoa coloured roses. I like it and will post a pic of its single bloom in a bit. Ceske Praci Cest is going in the ground up a tree and she's already given some charming sprays of flowers! Yay! for new roses! : ))

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    4 years ago

Vapor, yes, happy does seem to be the word to best describe Peggy M. Great looking foliage and great growth. She's out by the defunct veggie garden which will become my cutting garden, but I forget about her out there all by herself and have not been a good rose mom.

I must look into Star of the Republic! Lots of interest in that one right now. Those last two you mentioned sound interesting. I'd like a rose to climb a tree, but I have trouble finding roses to climb an arbor!

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    4 years ago

Desdamona took right off

Quicksilver and plum perfect are slower to start.

sara_ann-z6bok thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • pink rose(9b, FL )
    4 years ago

Ken

Love the color of "Hot Prince" . Did you get it from K & M ?

how is overall health and bloom frequency ? fragrance ?

• cyndita (west coast zone 9)
    4 years ago

Charlotte!!! I got a tree rose from a local nursery, and was so impressed with it I ordered an own-root 2 quart one from DA. Per the DA website it's from 1993, so definitely not new, just new to me. Leaves are healthy without spraying in my cool coastal climate (my big issues are rust & powdery mildew, I rarely get blackspot). Fragrance is light, with a clean, fresh scent (DA calls it a "pleasant tea fragrance").

Tree rose close-up, from it's spring flush:

2-quart plant just received this spring & potted into a larger pot about a month ago - in this spot it gets morning sun & afternoon shade:

I'm surprised this one isn't more popular - not sure how it does it hot, humid weather?

sara_ann-z6bok thanked cyndita (west coast zone 9)
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    4 years ago

I forgot about Crimson Glory. Healthy, good rebloom.

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    4 years ago

Abe Darby - lots of blooms, lots of petals, complex form...very nice debut from a young plant.

Tiffany - not sure why it took me so many years before I actually grew this in my own garden, elegant and very nicely scented.

Lady Emma Hamilton (...peeking behind Lady Emma is Chartreuse de Parme, another newbie that somehow i don’t have a pic of).

Miss Congeniality , great color, looking foward to seeing this one progress.

Well Being - Extraordinary grapefruit scent.

Outrageous - large blooms, very fragrant, very, very bright. Probably my most surprisingly good newbie.

La Park - almost shoveled earlier, but has morphed into to nice plant. yellow with suble pink striping, good heath, very fragrant.

sara_ann-z6bok thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
  • HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada
    4 years ago

@cyndita - I planted Charlotte last year and it has been a vigourous grower. Mine is a regular shrub. It has been reliable so far. The only thing I noticed it that the blooms are much lighter than I expected, but I like their shape.

Everyone else's roses and pictures are great enablers!

I planted a few new ones this year, it's still a bit early for a real evaluation. But a couple have really wowed me with thier blooms. I'm going to post a few pics below. I'm also still waiting on first blooms from a few others still.

4 years ago

Moonlight in Paris - Love the colour variations of this one, blooms lasted a long time on plant.

sara_ann-z6bok thanked HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada
    4 years ago

Princess Alexandra of Kent, Queen of Sweden, Maurice Utrillo, Winter Sun (huge blooms), Alnwick & Roald Dahl.

• Krista_5NY
    4 years ago

I have three new roses that I like very much, actually new last year... Princess Alexandra of Kent, Sweet Mademoiselle and Pretty Lady Rose

Princess Alexandra of Kent, on the left

Sweet Mademoiselle

Sweet Mademoiselle on the right, Mme Pierre Oger on the left

Pretty Lady Rose

sara_ann-z6bok thanked Krista_5NY
  • Karen F
    4 years ago

Well without question my blaze rose. I never expected it to survive our winters here even when I covered it up with burlap around Oct-Nov.-- never mind getting over 20 buds on it this year after 1 or 2 years especially when I live in Ontario, Canada. In fact I ended up buying a 2nd one yesterday. I don't care if it only lasts for one big event then that is it until next year. I love her and there is no way I am doing away with her. Not that many red climbing ones you can buy here. Are few and far between. Here are some pix I took of it the other day. In fact it has surpassed my shield rose for getting buds on it!!!!!

• Karen F
    4 years ago

And here is a close up of 2 of the blooms on one branch and more yet to open on it. The others I got have all been through a winter and are in bud as I type this ooor with the At last rose have finished the first lot but I imagine it won't be long before the 2nd lot shows up :)

• Karen F
    4 years ago

The At last rose was a real LOOKER!!!! Eagerly awaiting the first bloom from the Strike It Rich rose!!!! Is in bud with hints of color showing through it!!!! And the scent on these are awesome!!!! That is my camera strap :) (the black )

sara_ann-z6bok thanked Karen F
  • sharon2079
    4 years ago

I have a couple of new ones....

Parade Day, not doing too good yet. The chili thrips went after him.... Trying to keep him going with out fertilizing for new growth because of the CT's

Bronze Star is doing well.... he is blooming without fertilizing (again because of CT's)

Ken Wilkinson, I love your Hot Prince.... I have Hot Princess... Do you know anything about that rose... and how it would compare... I could not find anything under helpmefind.com about Hot Prince. Tell me more about your rose, please and where you got it.

BenT, I know I asked you before, but are you sure you don't want to move to Florida and be my neighbor? You always seem to have GREAT looking roses.... I love that Outrageous.... So bright, bold and beautiful. It probably doesn't come on fortuniana... and probably neither does the Well Being... I am not only enamored by the coloring the grapefruit fragrance intrigues me too.

Kristine, your Desmona is beautiful..... I am planning on getting it in the fall.... I think Cool Roses is grafting them now... if they take, I plan on getting it on Fortuiana.

sara_ann-z6bok thanked sharon2079
  • sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sure enjoying everyone’s contributions so far, lots of good ones to learn more about. Thank you so much.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    4 years ago

Shirley's Bouquet. Bought this as an unknown at a flea market that seems to get in newer roses, but he didnt know the name of this one. Brilliant white blooms all over the plant - they stayed a long time - just lovely!! A friend just bought one, same thing - gorgeous, brilliant clear white with long lasting blooms. Looks beautiful with so many of my roses. This is a new white that should be a real winner.

Judith

sara_ann-z6bok thanked alameda/zone 8/East Texas
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    4 years ago

So many beautiful roses, and I'm now wondering why I don't have Princess Alexandra of Kent. Vapor, I'm very curious about your Repeating Swamp Rose. First of all, does it repeat well and is it as beautiful as the original Swamp Rose? I would love to see pictures, please.

4 years ago

Sharon

That Bronze Star is beautiful, i’ve Seen it in K&M’s catalog and have been very tempted. There’s a rose garden near my mother’s house in northern CA that has it, it catches my eye every time and has good scent too.

As far as I know, JP is the only one carrying Outrageous, Linda’s Long Ago has Well Being. The grapefruit scent on Well Being is amazing. Perhaps you could grow non-Fort roses in pots?

4 years ago

I forgot I have Life of the Party new, too. Nice rose, really great scent

A few more pics of La Park from today

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    4 years ago

Sharon -

Just to add a little: I grew Outrageous in a past Las Vegas garden; full sun, so it is very heat (dry heat for sure) tolerant, and an excellent rose, on a bush that remained smaller in stature. I purchased it from J&P a couple of years after its introduction. It's color intensity/shading definitely varied, which is something I liked about this rose.

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    4 years ago

I do not have many roses right now. All of what I am growing is new and in pots. Thus far, I am really impressed with Brindabella Purple Prince. It has grown rapidly and has clean foliage. Its first bloom is very pretty. I will try to take a pic. and a sniff of it later today...

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor