Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krista_5ny

Marchesa Boccella, other June roses and garden visitor

Krista_5NY
4 years ago

Marchesa Boccella is one of the best antiques I've grown, hardy, floriferous and a strong sweet Damask scent.

Anna de Diesbach

Reine des Violettes

Mme Souveton

Duchesse de Rohan

Felicia

Lavender Lassie

Royal Jubilee

Gertrude Jekyll

Young rabbit eating a pansy, this is near the front porch. I like them even with the nibbling, so cute and fun to watch...

Rose petals on the ground, blackspot and weeds, a typical summer garden scene...

Comments (12)

• User
    4 years ago

..more beautiful and unusual roses from you Krista.. you don't hear Duchesse de Rohan mentioned that often... I'm so glad you are sharing your roses this summer...

Krista_5NY thanked User
  • monarda_gw
    4 years ago

I can almost smell them!

Krista_5NY thanked monarda_gw
  • Krista_5NY
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you.

Marlorena, Duchesse de Rohan is a generous bloomer in June, with scattered blooms later in summer. It's a fine rose, one of my favorites. Photos of it in a vase:

Eglantyne on the left

Marchesa Boccella

• vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY)
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Krista, you've been having a great rose season! Your Duchess de Rohan is beautiful both in your garden and vase. I've never had a chance to see Anna de Diesbach. The bloom form and color are exquisite. Does Lavender Lassie climb for you? How bright is its color? I need a "mannered" climber for our zone, and as lovely as Gertrude Jekyll is (as also evident on your photos), it's too thorny for my inexperienced hands with climbers. That little bunny is adorable.

Krista_5NY thanked vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY)
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    4 years ago

Krista, not only do you have a greater variety of beautiful pink roses but you even have cuter bunnies! This little guy is so adorable. My bunnies are a bit thinner, with shorter fur and longer ears, so not quite as cuddly as this youngster.

Krista_5NY thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • Krista_5NY
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you.

Vesfl, Lavender Lassie is not a climber, but forms a sprawling shrub here. I keep it heavily pruned back to control width. It's 6 feet wide, but wants to grow wider. It does not grow very tall, however. It's about 5 1/2 to 6 feet tall. The color is medium pink, not very vibrant however. I'll post more photos of it.

Gertrude Jekyll is 4-5 feet tall here. I use a stake or mini-trellis to help support it as it arches toward a pathway, but it does not climb.

Thanks Ingrid. I see this little guy in the garden almost every day.

This is not the whole shrub of Lavender Lassie. It does like to grow wide.

Gertrude Jekyll is in the lower left, to compare the color.

La Reine

Duchesse de Rohan

From 2018, Anna de Diesbach in a vase with Clotilde Soupert

• vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY)
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Thank you, Krista. I have an obelisk about 5 feet tall and thought to train a clematis on one side and a shorter rose climber on the other side. Any rose that also spreads as a shrub would not fit there, but your Lavender Lassie looks gorgeous as do all of your other roses. Thanks for this extra treat with the additional photos. Your flower arrangement of Anna de Diesbach with Clotilde Soupert is the definition of pure beauty.

Krista_5NY thanked vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY)
  • monarda_gw
    4 years ago

What a wonderful selection!

Krista_5NY thanked monarda_gw
  • Krista_5NY
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you, Vesfl. Lavender Lassie is quite vigorous. I wish I had the room to let it grow as wide as it would like...

Ingrid, your rabbits have a graceful look to them, and sweet. The ears are larger... this reminds me that desert creatures have large ears. The body shape does look different. That's a nice photo of it showing how its color can help it to be camouflaged.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    4 years ago

Krista, how long did you have Marchesa before she bloomed? I just got mine as a band this year and she has as of yet to even form a bud. My other old roses (also own-root bands) have bloomed more than once (Portland from Glendora and Yolande). I had to be out of town for a week (boyfriend having cancer surgery) and poor Marchesa got eaten by probably rose sawflies (just her top growth). I am hoping to see a bloom this year so I can verify I have the right rose. All of your roses look beautiful! How long have you had them?

Krista_5NY thanked mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
  • Krista_5NY
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you, mustbnuts. I've been growing roses for over 25 years. I started growing antiques almost 20 years ago. Marchesa Boccella and Reine des Violettes are around 18 years old. MB is an own root plant and as I recall I saw it bloom its first summer. However, there are times when I've not seen a rose bloom its first spring or summer. (Sawfly larvae are voracious, I get a lot of damage from them each year...)

The Anna de Diesbachs are about 14 years old. Duchesse de Rohan 10-12 years.

Best wishes for your boyfriend's cancer recovery.