Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carribeanmum

Siding our house and need help on curb appeal

carribeanmum
4 years ago

We are re-siding our lake house and need a little help on curb appeal. We are leaning toward LP Smartside Slate Blue Traditional Lap 8" (6 1/2 " Reaveal) with 4" White Linen accent around the windows. It is so hard to visualize. Hoping that wont be too dark. Anyone side their house with this that would be willing to share pictures? Need help on what to do to update the front. Should we add a board above the top window and put shakes in the gable? How could we update the look of the windows? Need some dimension, etc. but want it all maintenance free. Also thinking about painting the garage doors to look like wood, any suggestions on that?

Comments (24)

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

I can't find any slate blue in LP siding. I found dark slate and scotia blue, but no slate blue.

carribeanmum thanked groveraxle
  • groveraxle
    4 years ago

Dark slate:

Scotia blue:

carribeanmum thanked groveraxle
  • carribeanmum
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you so much for the pics! I really like the blue. Where is that out of? Called LP and they have diff colors for diff areas of the country. The one we were looking at is actually called “Natural Slate” from ABC Supply Company in Savage, MN. It is a pre-finished PSPI LP SmartSide color. Here is a pic (so hard to visualize from such small pieces!)

• carribeanmum
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Is say it is more of a blue/gray/green color

• tatts
    4 years ago

Yes to the board above the window and shake in the gable.

I'd also do a smaller reveal on the siding. The wide reveal you have now makes it look like a house for dwarfs; the proportions age very odd with that siding..

carribeanmum thanked tatts
  • rbhirano
    4 years ago

The blue us beautiful, but you want to make sure your roof doesn't clash.

carribeanmum thanked rbhirano
  • girl_wonder
    4 years ago

I'm not sure you need so much of the "trim" painted white, like all the vertical pieces and the extra trim around the little window. Maybe paint those to match the body of the house so they don't jump out. Also, I wonder if something more can be done to visually balance the small single window over the four windows. To my eye, at first glance the house appears wider on the bottom than the top. BTW, it seems like there is no roof overhang at all. Is that creating any problems in the rain?

carribeanmum thanked girl_wonder
  • carribeanmum
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We were thinking about going with a LP Smartside of 6 1/2" reveal (currently it is 11 1/2") Should we go smaller? I agree that the small window above the larger one looks odd. Definitely leaning toward board above the window and adding shakes in the gable. Saw these pics and was wondering if it would help to put the wider trim on the top of the windows? Do you think this would look alright? What else could we do so they look more proportionate? How can we add dimension? Appreciate any and all help!

Having the top trim board above windows extend out more?

• girl_wonder
    4 years ago

I wonder if it would be worth-it to consult with an architect. They might have have great ideas.

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    4 years ago

If the original picture you show is 11” reveal, then 6” is great. We just had ours installed and we went from 4 to 6” on a ranch home.

carribeanmum thanked Anna (6B/7A in MD)
  • carribeanmum
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you groveraxle! (not sure how you do that - appreciate it!) That does help to see it. Would you still do the trim board above the window where the shakes start? Or keep that siding color? Anna, you have a beautiful house! Love the color. Can I ask what it is? Also appreciate you posting the pic as it does really help. Thank you!

• lindahambleton
    4 years ago

I would also like to know the color Anna

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    4 years ago

Thank you. The siding is Certainteed Cypress and the trim /column is Certainteed Sandstone Beige (actually a cream color). SW actually has the color formulas so you can get the colors matched perfectly. I did that for the columns (Sandstone Beige) and the light mounting plates (Cypress) which are not pictured here.

• chloebud
    4 years ago

Anna, your house looks great!

janelandjeff, Anna's color, or something similar, would work nicely with your warm roof color IMO. Much better than something like a slate blue which is cool and can clash with the roof.

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    4 years ago

Thanks, chloebud. Someday, I'll have a "before and after" post.

• chloebud
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Anna, it would be fun to see a "b and a" post!

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

If you choose a paintable siding, you don't have to limit yourselves.

I do like the trim painted out to match the siding though.

• carribeanmum
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Goveraxle, yes after seeing the pics I do too. Really like the last pic. What color is that? Thank you for your help!

• carribeanmum
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Groveraxle, we also like the 2nd one. What is the name of that green?

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Janelandjeff, I have no idea what the colors are. I just manipulate the color until I get something I like. Take the photos to the paint store and ask one of their color experts to make a guess. You will still have to get samples and look at them on your own house in your very own light. And remember, the same color will look very different depending on which side of the house it's on, so paint big sample boards and set them on different sides at different times of day to see how the colors look.

• acm
    4 years ago

(I suspect that grover did the images in Photoshop, so you have to find the colors yourself.)

• Brandon Koch
    4 years ago

Just as a thought, you can also go with a much thinner trim called a J-trim, I believe, we just re-sided our house as well and it doesn’t stand out as much (on the upper windows as we went with a thicker trim on the lower windows, ignore color as we went plain jane with black and white, good luck!

• Debbie C
    4 years ago

Would you consider shutters on the upper window to help balance out the size difference to the one below it? I like the idea of smaller trim, or at least the same width on all four sides of the window. Are there similar houses in your area that you can get ideas from?