Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

This shrub can light up the garden.

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

As I drove by this home in our neighbourhood in the early evening the shrub just glowed. (The owner thought is was a GOLD MOUND Spirea but with its thorns this cant be the case.)

I took this picture a few days later but in the broad daylight when it wasn't as "impressive".

I know the branches are "spikey" but that wouldn't bother me (except maybe when pruning it :))

Comments (29)

• Marie Tulin
    4 years ago

There are no thorns and the spikiness you see is the growth habit. Not prickly at all

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked Marie Tulin
  • rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Then I am wrong re its ID as this shrub had thorns...I touched it.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Yup as I had written in the post just before yours I definitely have the wrong ID. (This specimen is too large as well.)

• Ava
    4 years ago

Golden Barberry is my guess. Friend has one.

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked Ava
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sure does look like a GB. I was impressed.

• Jilly
    4 years ago

That is striking! Beautiful. I’d like to have some of these.

I love bright gold/lime/etc shrubs. I planted several ‘Twist of Lime’ abelias last year, and four ‘Lemon Lime’ nandinas this year. ETA: Forgot my favs — ‘Sunshine’ ligustrum. Planted this year (first time to have them) and they’re looking great.

Thanks for sharing! (That bench is so pretty, too.)

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked Jilly
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It would benefit from a "haircut" but it is eye catching.

• Jay 6a Chicago
    4 years ago
    rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked Jay 6a Chicago
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    4 years ago

the roundish leaves scream barberry ... and do i need to say.. the gold one... lol ...

ken

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=golden+barberry&t=ffcm&iar=images&iax=images&ia=images

• einportlandor
    4 years ago

Barberry.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    4 years ago

Yes, a barberry

• Embothrium
    4 years ago

Already looks hedgy, as though having been sheared for years. Instead of continued barberry barbering the solution to it exceeding the space is moving it elsewhere, when it is not in leaf. To a spot where it will have enough room to retain its natural size and structure.

• StevePA6a
    4 years ago

There's a local business that has a few of these in a raised bed grouping, and they are very, very eyecatching. I will continue to appreciate them in other peoples gardens, because I will never again own any barberry bushes, too painful!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

"I will never again own any barberry bushes, too painful!"

They are if you fall or roll in them!! But there are dwarf options available that will add that intense coloring without any need for pruning :-) Look for Gold Nugget, Golden Jackpot or Sunjoy Gold Beret. And dwarf forms tend not to flower or seed as heavily as full sized plants so far less of an environmental issue.

IME, there are few shrubs that can add the intensity of color in summer and fall than Japanese barberries. and they are no more painful to maintain than roses, blackberries or other thorny plants. I would never be without them!!

But not always suitable in all areas of the country - check with your invasive plant authority first.

• GardenHo_MI_Z5
    4 years ago

“I would never be without them!!”

Ditto!!

• Embothrium
    4 years ago

Orange-tinted Berberis thunbergii Lois ('Orange Rocket') and B. thunbergii 'Admiration' are particularly colorful. And something different from all the somber purple kinds and all the bleached- or metallic-looking yellow ones.

• Jilly
    4 years ago

gardengal, I just looked those up, thanks for sharing them! I have a couple of spots I could use them in (I really like the Sunjoy).

• Marie Tulin
    4 years ago

would You think about researching whether it is on the invasives list in your state? maybe the common purple /red ones are the culprits but it can’t hurt to know.

I should have realized it wasn’t a spirea at all! But there gold spirea that rival that gorgeous lime.

• maackia
    4 years ago

A word of warning that barberry can be an invasive pest, including the upper midwest. It’s not the problem buckthorn and burning bush are, but it has shown a definite tendency to spread. Am I an old-fashioned curmudgeon to care about such things? ;)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    4 years ago

Barberry/Berberis is a serious issue here and spreading in my woodlands in New England from the organic farm next door that uses no invasive controls. It is also an aesthetic issue as far as catching debris such as blowing leaves and trash that then need removal on a regular basis IME. And if pruned, all cut plant matter needs removal because stepping on barberry/Berberis branches can be painful.

Alternatives include several gold Spiraeas. My favorite of them is Ogon which also has nice fall color. There are also a number of substantial gold perennials, which would have the added advantage of not being a twiggy mass in winter:

Leucosceptrum Golden Angel is about 3’ in my garden

Aralia Sun King is a large shrublike perennial which can reach 6’ when happy.

• Jilly
    4 years ago

I always check my state’s database before planting unknowns-to-me ... I’m not seeing it listed, but will check with my local nursery, too. They will not sell anything invasive, and deal almost exclusively in natives.

ETA: Thanks, NHBabs, for those suggestions, too. I’m getting lots of ideas on this thread. :)

• Marie Tulin
    4 years ago

maakia "conscientious" is the word. In the past, sometimes, criticism about using berberis would start a small vocal chorus of howls from folks who "never found a seedling in 20 years"

Glad that Jinx you always check because some folks dont. Even worse, there are nurseries who should know better that are happy to sell what people will buy.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

Invasiveness is very regionally dependent as well, typically associated with divergent climate issues. What may be a listed invasive in one area may be perfectly well behaved in another, simlply because of differing climates. And often, a plant that can naturalize readily and escape cultivation should avoid being planted even though it is not officially included on the local invasive species listing. An example of this is Pyrus calleryana, the dreaded Bradford pear, which, obscurely, shows up officially on very few state listings.

• Jay 6a Chicago
    4 years ago

Sambucus racemosa 'Lemony Lace' is a beautiful shrub in that same color range, and it's native.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    4 years ago

Agree, they are known tick havens. You want to avoid barberries.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

Except.......in those areas where a) the plants are not invasive or b) ticks not an issue. Neither is a universal or countrywide problem.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    4 years ago

Gardengal, ticks are everywhere now, and Lyme disease is everywhere, too, even in Canada and the Pacific northwest. If you do a search, make sure it's from 2019, as data is rapidly changing.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

Yes, ticks can be everywhere. But they are NOT present in the Pacific Northwest like they are in other parts of the country. And Lyme disease here is extremely rare. Very few cases have ever been reported and most of those that have been confirmed in local residents that received tick bites while visting eastern and midwestern states where both ticks and the disease are far more common.

The very remote possibility that a barberry here would harbor a tick would not dissuade me from planting them. It is just a non-issue!! YMMV