Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rfharmon

Window Sound Barrier Help! Desperately in need of a good night sleep

rfharmon
4 years ago

My beautiful new(ish) home unfortunately sits on a through street where the speeds are not well regulated. It is by far the worst in the late evenings and early mornings when everything else is quiet and trucks, buses and fast drivers are barreling down the street in front of our home. This is magnified by the fact that 2 of the 4 walls of the master bedroom are filled with windows. It has gotten so bad that my wife and I have been sleeping in our guest room, which is toward the back of the house away from the street. We already have floor-to-ceiling blackout noise-cancelling drapes AND cellular blinds covering the windows in our Master Bedroom. They have helped some, but not enough for us to consistently sleep in there and get a good night sleep.

We spoke to our window installer and they recommended replacing our standard builder grade dual-pane window glass with a dual-pane glass combination that is 1/8" over 3/16". I've definitely gone deep into the research hole on this option and the results seem to be a better sound barrier with the 1/8" and 3/16" combination than a standard dual-pane window, and the the glass manufacturer seems to feel that this is the case as well. However, when I've spoken to other window installers to get competitive quotes, 3 of 4 of them have told me that in their experience, the cost ($3-4k) is not worth it for the minor improvement you get in reality. A few of them have recommended Indow windows, which is a soundproof window insert that is standalone and installs in the window frame. The research on these seems to show mixed results, but overall seems good. The problem with them is that once you install them you can't open the windows behind them to get a breeze, etc. We have enough windows in our room where this should be fine to install them on all the non-operable windows (2) and the operable window facing the street (1) (see pre-purchase photos before we moved in - we have moved our bed to the back wall with no windows to get distance from the street).

Wondering if anyone has experience with or would recommend either of the two options for reducing the street sounds coming into our bedroom:

1. Replace window glass with 1/8" over 3/16" (Cost of $3-4k); or

2. Installing Indow (or another brand) window inserts (Cost of $2k).

My dreams thank you in advance for your help.

Comments (33)

• apple_pie_order
    4 years ago

Does your area have acoustic engineering consultants?

rfharmon thanked apple_pie_order
  • PRO
    toddinmn
    4 years ago

I don’t think 1/8 over 3/16ths will be enough. I think you would need laminated glass at a minimum if going with just a stand alone unit.

If youre windows would accept storm windows that might be a cost effective and one of the better solutions. You would want 3/16ths glass at a minimum or laminated in the storm. The airport programs in my area require a storm windows to get there STC ratings to the required level. They use regular glass units in the Prime window and 3/16ths in the storm.

• User
    4 years ago

An aunt went through this, she tried: Windows, tear down to studs and rebuild, ear plugs. She moved to another bedroom.

I recommend getting a decibel meter and measure and record the readings you prefer and object to, then you will have an objective. “Too noisy, can’t sleep” is a moving objective.

rfharmon thanked User
  • Lil S
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

We are near a highway and have traffic noise as well. We sleep with a fan on (not the ceiling fan, it's too quiet), It's not 100%, but it helps.

• rfharmon
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you @Lil S! Yes, we have tried sound machines and fans when we have actual guests staying in our guest room, and it made it a lot more tolerable.

• rfharmon
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@ Apple Pie Order - not sure. I will definitely look into that. May be a good first step. Have you used one before? Are they expensive?

• rfharmon
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@toddinhim - Super helpful and very much in line with what others have said. Do you have a particular brand that you like or trust?

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    4 years ago

Have you tried a sound machine that has a little fan inside? That works best for us (versus an electronic sound machine)

After what you have already tried indow would be my next step.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    4 years ago

Larson makes a storm window called SCS storm “sound contrlol storm“ it is reasonable priced and very comparable to some other other very expensive brands in my area such as Monray.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    4 years ago

Keep in mind not all window Are designed to accept exterior mounted storms windows and may void warranties. all vinyl windows to my knowledge would be void of warranty.

• wdccruise
    4 years ago

I have no knowledge of this company, Soundproof Windows. However its inserts open, allowing the window installed behind it to open as well.

• mayanl5
    4 years ago

This is great information on soundproofing. I was actually going to post here myself. I am thinking of taking things a step further and actually removing a large window in our bedroom that faces a parking lot and busy road that reflects the noise off the parking lot. Has anyone actually just removed a window? I am worried about going down this road because of the loss of light and look of the wall. The room is high ceiling-ed with a skylight and has an over sized sliding glass door so there is a large amount of openness to the room as is.

• mayanl5
    4 years ago

Also for immediate relief, try the Lectrofan, it is a great noise machine. I use ear plugs on top of that during early morning rush sometimes too.

• suezbell
    4 years ago

If you have a full house heat/ac system and keep your windows closed year round, talk to a pro about adding a large clear storm window over the top of the outside of each of your windows with a space in between it and the existing window instead of altering your existing windows -- perhaps adding trim around the existing windows to which to attach it -- storm windows you could take with you if/when you move and need them at your next home. Ask what kinds of glass are available and if any are soundproof.

Removing a window likely means new framing for the wall that will replace it and you'd lose your natural light.

Something Houzz pros might know: Is a glass block wall more soundproof than a standard window.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wall+of+glass+blocks&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=zCVIFMfZ-8-5JM%253A%252C_AHmNGfEKsZWNM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kQADCQLQoYPkY84GnphYJ1DwQH-TQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj36b-ys9HjAhWGneAKHWTqAIUQ9QEwB3oECAQQEg#imgrc=zCVIFMfZ-8-5JM:

In the meantime, suggest you invest in some earplugs.

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

Earplugs, sound machine, use an essential oil diffuser with oils that enhance relaxation, plus Dr. Bach's flower essences sprayed under the tongue for sleep. If you can fall into deep relaxed sleep, the noise may be less of a factor than currently.

• wdccruise
    4 years ago

"I am thinking of taking things a step further and actually removing a large window..."

I love windows so I'd attempt the window sound-reduction before I did that. Or maybe essential oils...

• tatts
    4 years ago

Ambien.

There are triple pane windows made for noise reduction. Don't know the cost. If you do storm windows (good idea for starters), you must made them fit tightly. noise will sneak through any gaps.

None of these solutions will decrease rumble from trucks. Higher pitched whooshing and tire noise, Yes. But not rumbling.

• jemimabean
    4 years ago

One of our old houses backed to a main intersection in town and our bedroom was on that back corner. We used Thermal Windows (a local company) and had them use ThermalSafe glass. The reduction in noise was astounding. Those windows were SUPER heavy duty.

I second or third the idea of a white noise machine. We got one on Amazon years ago, but when we’re traveling we just use an app on our phones, which isn’t quite as good, but still works.

Good luck getting this sorted out. I know that it must feel demoralizing not to be able to sleep in your master bedroom.

• deb s
    4 years ago

You may get used to the sounds after you have lived there for a while. If you are close to a large city (ie nyc, chicago, even hoboken nj etc) I would contact a window company or contractor who knows the tricks of the trade for noise reduction. It also looks like you have two nice walls of windows- one facing what looks like an airport hanger? which I assume is the louder window -- i would consider moving the bed to face that window and installing an Ikea style closet or an entertainment type of unit over the wall/window section -- hard to tell if it would work w pictures posted (no floor plan). Start with an inexpensive "test" by putting a nice solid piece of plywood over that window area. If it works for the fixed solution paint the back of the wood (facing the outside black so when you look in it doesnt look like a boarded up window-- the black will make it look like the room is dark vs boarded up) I would not spend money messing w replacing the windows until you know its something that still bugs you after 6-9 months.

or check this out https://www.soundproofwindows.com/how-does-soundproof-glass-work/

• Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK
    4 years ago

We live 2 stops from the World Trade Center, trust me, we know noise.

There is no window that is going to stop the sound of a truck, bus, ambulance, etc.

"Alexa, put on thunderstorm sounds" does the trick every night.

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

I prefer a trickling brook, but was never bothered by street sounds in D.C. where I could see the Nat'l Geographic building from my window. Now I'm out in the country, but a guest visiting from Houston was disturbed by the quiet!!!

• rfharmon
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I love all the comments and advice and its good to know we aren't the only ones with this issue. The crazy thing is that we lived in New York for 10+ years and were never bothered by noise, which is why we didn't shy away from buying the house. Not even sure why this has been such an irritant for us.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

I use triple paned windows for all my clients that live on busy streets I use Alexas white noise for our dog . Get drapes they absorb sound. The more soft materials the better .

• PRO
    toddinmn
    4 years ago

In general , triple pane is not a cost effective approach Unless the overall cost thickness of the window is significantly increased.

I think the overall mass of drape and how tight it fits would be a bit more beneficial.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    4 years ago

Your experience may be correct and it woud be hard for me to disagree without knowing the exact details of what you did. If you were to compare STC or OITC ratings of manufacture of the same window , one with dissimilar glass glass package in dual pane and one with triple pane. You would see virtuallly know difference in the numbers. In most cases with a window manufacturer that produces windows for sound control you would find no triple panes offfered. The science says otherwise But if what you do works , it works. I have triple paned unitsbin my house and I know when a car drives by when I’m awake at about 200 ‘.

• wdccruise
    4 years ago

I wonder if switching to even triple-pane windows wouldn't diminish the noise much because the requester has slider windows which are don't seal very well. I replaced my old double-pane wood casement windows with triple-pane windows and the noise reduction is dramatic. But it's only that last tug on the latch which pulls the sash in tight against the jamb that really eliminates the noise.

• tyger_lily
    4 years ago

Perhaps consider drapes/shades with acoustic linings for your bedroom. I put acoustic linings in a room with 3 very big windows and a porcelain floor. Acoustic lining added to only 2 windows, made a big difference in drowning out the drumkit.

• Snaggy
    4 years ago

Triple glazing will help with noise reduction and help with heating costs

• Holly Stockley
    4 years ago

It isn't always just the windows, either. Putting shnazzy new windows in won't help if the walls themselves are "leaky" enough to be transmitting noise as well.

Search the forums for threads on soundproofing. There is lots of good advice on how to track down where the largest issues are and how to ameliorate them.

• apple_pie_order
    4 years ago

There are free noise meter apps for iphone and android phones. Take a look. As suggested above, it's good to have actual measurements so you can see what effect various actions have (opening and closing windows, hanging heavy draperies, running a fan, and so on).

• PRO
    toddinmn
    4 years ago

STC ratings for Marving ultimate double hung:

1/8 Glass , 5/8 airspace 1/8 glass = 27 stc

1/8 glass , 1/4 airspace 1/8 glass, 1/4 air space, 1/8 glass (triple pane) =28 STC

1/8 glass, 19/32 air space 3/16 glass =30 STC

1/8 glass, 5/8 airspace, 1/8 glass plus 1/8 clad storm combination = STC 35

• wdccruise
    4 years ago

The windows are sliders, not double-hung. In the first picture, there's a power line visible through the middle of two windows that makes it appear the windows are double-hung.