Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hartcm08

Is it salvageable?

hartcm08
4 years ago

Hello all-

my husband and I are considering purchasing this home. Quite frankly it’s... not visually appealing but has very nice bones... inside. What can we do with the front, for once I’m actually completely utterly stumped.

Is this type of home classified as a certain look.. I’m lost here and we really need to make a decision soon.

thank you for any feedback at all.

Comments (26)

• l pinkmountain
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

The front is kinda farmhouse style. I suppose you could totally redo, but maybe look for a house in a style you actually like, path of least resistance? Depends on what you don't like. Color can change, it's fairly basic so you could take the shutters down, do a different kind of porch, whatever. Depends on how much money you want to spend and what you don't like. The tree on the left looks like a Norway maple that is past its prime so could be removed if you want less shade . . . or not. The landscaping is a bit overgrown, could be redone . . .

hartcm08 thanked l pinkmountain
  • calidesign
    4 years ago

Anything is possible depending on your budget. Personally, I would buy a house based on the neighborhood, interior layout, condition, and price before I worried about the outside style. You can change the look quite a bit through paint on the house, shutter, doorway and trim. Or change the door style, change or remove the porch railing, change the porch posts, etc. Not to mention adding curb appeal though some better landscaping.

hartcm08 thanked calidesign
  • hartcm08
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you all, the neighborhood and price & lot size are actually why we are considering. Thank you so much Beverly!! I was Immediately wondering what was going on with the un needed railing. I’m not even sure what color I would paint it. The inside will definitely need work as well however that’s expected.

https://b1iw.app.link/oI952HjFMY

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    4 years ago

The majority of houses, in order to look good, require a decent sized stoop, a spacious landing at the base of any steps, and a broad, obvious path (walk) to the landing. Without knowledge of how the lot is laid out, one couldn't determine how best to improve the approach, but it definitely needs improvement.

I personally loathe the structural form of the tree at the left side -- that breaks into multiple trunks below a person's shoulder level. As pointed out, it looks nearly spent anyway. The tree at the right is no thrill either -- looking a bit sparse-of-leaf and silver-maple-ish. It seems there might be good cause to budget a few thousand for tree removal and replacement. Front yard improvements.... starting at $15K.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

Sorry but that is not a colonial....it is definitely a farmhouse style. The entire front facade porch puts it clearly in that camp. And if the drop from the porch to ground level is 30 inches or more, a railing is required by code.

I don't find the exterior bothersome at all and easily personalized by fresh paint and perhaps removal of the shutters. What I would focus on is updating/improving the landscaping but that is not somethig that needs to be tackled immediately.

If the house offers all the other features you like or want, sprucing up the exterior is relatvely easily accomplished down the road.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

My biggest concern with homes like this is that the center staircase be far enough from the front door because there is nothing you can ever do about lack of space in the entry

Chart says it's Colonial Revival

• hartcm08
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It was between that home and this one. Real estate has run rampant where we live & with 3 children locating growing space has become a nightmare.

https://b1iw.app.link/rCLzw5VEMY

This one had an estimated ... $800 per year in hoa fees..

$800 dollars. Beautiful area, this was of course before the obvious cosmetic updates needed.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    4 years ago

I’d stay away from HOA. The 1st house looks shorter than normal just by looking at the 1st floor windows. It must be a tri level home.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

Degree in architecture says it's a farmhouse style :-)

• summersrhythm_z6a
    4 years ago

Not sure why the house is so short though. Did you notice the low windows?

• PRO
    Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
    4 years ago

I think there are some simple things you can do that will increase the curb appeal.

1) As previously stated, remove the railing on the porch.

2) Beef up the columns. They look a little spindly.

3) Remove and do not reinstall the shutters on the double windows.

4) If you want to keep the shutters on the other windows change to a wider shutter that would actually each cover 1/2 of the window width.

5) Do not use blue on the shutters. Other colors would work.

6) Landscape the front of the house.

7) Paint the door a brighter color to make it a focal point.

Later on you could paint the siding a different color if the current color is not your "cup of tea". Other than painting the siding these are all quick, fairly inexpensive "fixes".

If you're interested in seeing some virtual makeovers check my web site, Creative Visual Concepts.

• Evelyn Gorfram
    4 years ago

Are the windows low, or are the porch & porch roof high? (Asking, not saying...)

Also, I'd ask the advice of a tree surgeon before making any tree removal decisions. Sometimes they can help an ailing or ungainly tree at much lower cost than removing and replacing in kind.

• emmarene9
    4 years ago

Yes, it is salvageable for sure. Look how much better it is without the railing. Many people have a rail when it is not needed because they think it adds old fashioned charm. I would remove it.

I did not notice windows being low but after it was mentioned I am wondering if the porch was an addition.

I would paint the house an earthy color, get rid of the shutters and enhance the large yard to have a park like setting.

I would find the long driveway and double garage very appealing. That is a great selling point in my opinion.

• ci_lantro
    4 years ago

I would remove the porch railing, beef up the porch support posts and get a new entry door & sidelights. (Sidelights w/ full length glazing & not half-lit like the current one.)

Like the white & green color scheme posted ^. But I could live with the beige color OK...but changing the shutter color would be a Must. That blue is rather drab & is dragging the house down, IMO.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

The first thing I would do is remove the shuuter they do not work at all on most of the windows. The first time a guest falls off the railing less porch and sues you will wish you had kept that farmhouse look with the railing.A good coat of paint and a ton of landscaping will work wonders and a front door that suits the house for sure. I would avoid HOAs like the plague but the second house looks nice but I actually like the first one why not just go in the direction of modren farmhouse white siding, black windows and door

• Nancy R z5 Chicagoland
    4 years ago

I think the front porch railings are appropriate for the style of the house and see no reason to remove them, assuming they're in good condition. They seem to help ground the house visually and provide some architectural detail and a bit of privacy for the porch. If you do remove them the remaining columns are going to look too spindly.

• auntthelma
    4 years ago

I love the porch railings. Best part of the house. A front porch is a great asset to a house. Am I old fashioned, or just a new englander?

• PRO
    Dig Doug's Designs
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

The house can most definitely be salvaged....

some ideas:

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

A farmer would never build a home with such a low pitched roof as the one posted and such small windows on the second floor.

I agree the wrap around porch is typical of a farmhouse style, but the low pitch roof pushes it into a different category. I would consider these homes Farmhouse Design.

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

I immediately found it odd that the front door looms above the windows. How does that play out inside?

• l pinkmountain
    4 years ago

A home can be a mish mash between farmhouse and colonial. Salvageable depends on what you don't like. I'd be happy to live in it as is, and make gradual changes as time and money allowed. That's what I have done with all of my homes. Most of us live with a house that has a less than perfect vision, but is safe and comfortable for which we feel extremely lucky. But if you hate certain things and they make you uncomfortable, don't jump. For example, my current home has a big lack of storage, and while we are constantly finding new ways to cram more stuff in new places, we would love to move. Consequently, if we do move, we're not settling for another home with cramped storage options.

• J Williams
    4 years ago

It doesn’t bother me, looks sort like a classic children’s book illustration of a home, what’s more important is, does it function for you?

• nickel_kg
    4 years ago

I clicked through the first few pictures for both houses, and I'd vote for the first one. More potential. The only thing I don't care for on its current exterior is that shade of blue. Change that to a deep brown, black, or green and it would look better. Then pursue landscape updates as suggested above.

• calidesign
    4 years ago

The white colonial is beautiful on the outside. What does the HOA fee include? $67 a month isn't much to insure you have noise regulations, neighbors that can't paint their house purple, etc. You'll spend way more than $800 to update the exterior of the other house. But again, the inside and neighborhood are more important.

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

I'm going to agree with Beverly that it's a Colonial revival style home. That style was ubiquitous in the late 70's and 80's. They're all over upstate NY as well.