Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wood2217

Should I drop the off center Fireplace from my custom build

wood2217
4 years ago

Hello I need some advice from the design community! I’m working on the design for our custom build and as much I want a fireplace the best local for one is centered to the living area and not the wall. I did‘t want to sacrifice light and views by putting the fireplace in the center of the wall. What do you all think? Does it make sense or should I scrap it? It not drawn correctly the box will be outside and the fireplace will be flush on the wall it it happens.

Comments (28)

• millworkman
    4 years ago

"I’m working on the design for our custom build"

How is the structural beam by others?

As far as the fireplace if you want a fireplace I think there is nothing wrong about it being there. And where is the balance of the kitchen?

• wood2217
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The beam is not visible this is a one story home and that’s a support beam. The sink and dishwasher will be in the island and the fridge along the wall to the right of the island. These are still pretty rough.

• Kirsten E.
    4 years ago

What’s your climate like?

• wood2217
    Original Author
    4 years ago

South Texas so lots of heat. We don’t use the fireplace often but hubby and I love using our wood burning one when we have the opportunity. If the space doesn’t make sense then we’ll have to do without since gas isn’t an option for us. As much as we like having one I don’t want to live with it an awkward place.

• wood2217
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Honestly it could be fine but I’m not versed enough in house design to look only at plans and say it’ll look good.

• thinkdesignlive
    4 years ago

Having it flush will be better for furniture planning. Are you big TV watchers (at this location?). Are you buying all new furniture or reusing existing items?

• Kirsten E.
    4 years ago

To answer your original question, I think the placement looks fine, but if you’re concerned about furniture, I’d put the picture in a word doc and add add scaled furniture in the form of shapes so you can get a sense of whether furniture placement will be an issue. Another thought though, is that if you don’t think you’ll use it much, I’d first try and think if there’s anything else you could spend the money on (like another sliding door, more windows, etc.) that would be more useful and/or less problematic for furniture.

• cpartist
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

You have other problems than a fireplace.

For example, why is there no natural light in the kitchen?

Why is the toilet up against the family room? (No one likes hearing those noises while watching tv or talking)

How wide is your island because it looks like it's too small to have the sink and dishwasher on the island and still have enough room to prep food. (When we prep we want a minimum of 30" on one side of the sink, and that's a bare minimum.)

And these are just the issues I can see right away.

What do the elevations look like?

Since YOU are designing this, did you start with an overall concept showing interior, exterior and how the house will sit on the land? In 3D?

As to the fireplace, unless it is essential to the style of your house or you'll use it frequently, I see no need for one. In fact if it's views you want, I'd rather have lots of windows. Also are you sure you can do wood burning fireplace since lots of jurisdictions have wound up banning them unless they're grandfathered in.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    4 years ago

My suggestion is to place all your desired furnishings, to proper scale, into your floor plan to see if they will fit.

It's the proper way to design and it will also help you place the fireplace.

Framkly, your spaces look small and I doubt you can furnish them properly.

• David Cary
    4 years ago

Wood burning fireplaces inside are a big hole. A hole for critters. Our last house had a roach issue and they were coming down the chimney. Fun stuff. Not to mention a way for unconditioned air to get in the house. And then there is the cost.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    4 years ago

I know this is off topic, but it may have greater ramifications than where a seldom used fireplace is located; where is the refrigerator planned to be located?

• millworkman
    4 years ago

"The beam is not visible this is a one story home and that’s a support beam."

But how is it "by others" on a new build? Who are the "others"?

• cpartist
    4 years ago

Honestly it could be fine but I’m not versed enough in house design to look only at plans and say it’ll look good.

So then why do YOU think you can actually design a house? An architect spends 4-5 years in school learning all there is about building and designing and then apprentices 3 years before they're even allowed to take the license exams. Yet you think you can design your own house?

Have you considered working with someone with design skills to create a great house for you?

• Gcubed
    4 years ago

following

• wood2217
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for all the comments. After discussing with my builder and architect we’re ditching the fireplace. Thank you all for your help!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

Walk in pantries outside the kitchen are never good and a butlers apntry needs to connect the kitchen to the DR and in most cases not really needed in a modren home. No to pot filler just a pur waste of money. You need a KD to really make the most of your kitchen space this could be a great kitchen but right now no so much. The fireplace is centered in the FR that is the right place for it.Make sure there is sound deadening insulation in the bathroom next to the FR it will be fine. I too am wondering about the beam who are the others since that is an integral part of the structure. I hop you do not mean you are building this home.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

Too bad. Lots of ways to keep the fireplace and view. Also getting back some space by placing the FP outside the borders of the house.

• thinkdesignlive
    4 years ago

I love those Bev. Haven’t read through it all but has OP commented on TV usage? Just the reality of modern day life. If there is another spot to watch the tube then I agree with moving the FP and preserving the view like Bev illustrates. If there is a TV in the mix then another whole dynamic needs to be studied.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    4 years ago

OMG! Don't ever place a comparatively tiny painting on the top of a "floating" fireplace! The fireplace is a sculptural object in a transparent glass wall, and the mass-space composition is what's important.

Might as well hang a macrame plant holder there.

If the painting is favored and important, find a proper place to display and illuminate it respectfully. Let the fireplace and the glass wall alone.

• thinkdesignlive
    4 years ago

Virgil that was the weak one of the bunch but the nice thing is it can be moved in one sec. :)

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    4 years ago

As well it should...

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Staying off topic, but in the best interest of the OP: Is this where the refrigerator is planned to be?

• wood2217
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi Mark no. I’m going with a 42” built in French door that will be next to the space highlighted in red. That was originally designed as a drop zone for purses, bags, etc. as you enter the house from the garage, but I may change it. Do you have any suggestions?

• wood2217
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Beverly those examples are beautiful! And Thinkdesignlive the television will be on the wall perpendicular to where the fireplace was.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    4 years ago

Eliminate as many doors and doorways as possible. Your pantries are very inefficient for the amount of space they occupy. Your large appliances will make your kitchen smaller. Appears to be a lot of circulation space, which translate to an inefficient layout.

• thinkdesignlive
    4 years ago

And furthering what Mark said - the island seating will need to be modified - with a 48” refrigerator where you describe you will not be able to have a stool there.

• damiarain
    4 years ago

Further furthering what Mark said, the number of doors in the left corner is ... a lot. Particularly that one narrow rectangular space (3 doors!) and the butler's pantry is so chopped up from its 3 doorways - what will you store in there? And how? (at least the pantry only has two doors).