Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donna_b_818

Kitchen color scheme help- Vote on pics Inside

Donna B
4 years ago

Hello all! I'm putting in unfinished kitchen cabinets so I can paint them any color. I would go with blue but I already have too much blue throughout, I also love green, but my bathroom has a green theme, so gray is my next favorite color. I need to have a gold sink because I absolutely love it and I'll have matching hardware/faucet and vent covers. The sink will be my statement piece so I'd like to keep everything else neutral-ish. The only thing I have bought is the flooring- so I can scratch any of my ideas in lieu of better ones. I'm trying to narrow down the color choices for the cabinets, I wanted to do dark charcoal gray cabinets with white counter top but I'm not 100% sure. I put some ideas together below. Thanks for your input!

KITCHEN DESIGN IDEA 1.JPG
KITCHEN DESIGN IDEA 2.JPG
KITCHEN DESIGN IDEA 3.JPG

Comments (9)

• stillpitpat
    4 years ago

I am going to play mix & match b/c none of those work (for me, anyway). With the gold sink, I would do the #2 cabinets, the #1 counter, and maybe the #1 backsplash. I think all the light fixtures work, and the hardware works, but I don't love the floor with the gold sink. It looks too rustic. Perhaps a designer will weigh in on mixing rustic and luxe elements. If you are set on the gold sink, I would stay away from light or medium grays. Cool grays would clash with your sink, and warm grays or greiges would look weird (to my eye) with that much gold. I'm not sure if the dark cabs here are black or charcoal, but I think they do work with the gold. As to the backsplash, you can pick that last. Focus on the counter before the splash.

• Donna B
    Original Author
    4 years ago

you're right, the more I look at it the more I don't like it. I love a dark charcoal gray cabinet. How about something like this

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    4 years ago

I looked at your 3 options and I wondered why you chose blacks/grays AND browns. The gold would blend better with browns in my opinion. I'm with stillpitpat.

• herbflavor
    4 years ago

Number 3 but can you find a way to mix some white cabs w the gray . Upper? or a section of vertical tall cabinets? Or an island? Why do you want to paint all your cabinets yourself?

• Donna B
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The cabinet maker is custom making unfinished cabinets, all the prefab ones don't fit in my kitchen without using a lot of filler because it curves. He is taking care of the painting as well. I have thought about white uppers and dark lowers. I'm very open on all ideas but I don't like the idea of brown though, it wouldn't go with the rest of my house which very light. I have white/gray floors and blue gray walls everywhere. The kitchen connects to the family room so I need it to flow. I saw in a showroom a charcoal gray cabinet with gold knobs and I feel in love with it, so that's why i'm going with this color scheme.

• st5330
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

brown wouldnt be any darker than dark gray. dark brown/espresso maybe? your floor is warm and the gold is warm. at least play around with it? are there warmer shades of gray you could use? i also think white subway tiles are super boring, but maybe you need something like that for balance and at least here it provides contrast...its just what everyone does and i think it will come to be what dates kitchens in the future. at least you aren't pairing it with all white everything!

• Donna B
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I think I'm just going to scratch all of my ideas for now, and start over again :)

• skatermom
    4 years ago

beware of square cornered/stright walled sinks- we have one in a rental and it is horrendous for keeping clean-yuck!- looks great, but hard to get bits of food sauce that love to hide in the corners.