Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terraschulz75

Exterior paint & siding help please

Terra S.
4 years ago

I posted these pics a couple of days ago and got some lovely landscaping ideas but what I really need right now are suggestions on how to add curb appeal to the facade of the house, without spending too much money.

We will be painting the stucco soon, lots of recent patches that need to be covered. I have spent HOURS playing with colors and ways to add interest with siding details and I am no closer to a plan I like than when I started. I keep coming up with different versions of the same thing, but it isn't right and I am stuck in a loop!

The roof and gutters are new, black & staying. We are near the west coast of BC, Canada, so a west coast contemporary vibe is appealing.

Ultimately I'd like a plan for paint now, that allows for the possible addition of wood/stone in the future , likely next spring, without redoing everything.
I've deliberately not included some of my sketches because I would love to get some "untainted" ideas. Please!

Comments (19)

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    4 years ago

Are the windows white vinyl? If so that is limiting... this style of house is about shape not detail and doesn’t usually look good with high contrast trim. As you have noticed what it really needs is landscaping. The glass blocks would be on my list of future improvements too- they look incongruous with the rest of the house

Terra S. thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • Terra S.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes, windows are white vinyl. Glass block was SUPPOSED to be one of the first things to about we went over budget on the inside. Eventually I'd like to do double doors at the front instead if the block

• jbtanyderi
    4 years ago

Draw attention to the house. Starting at the corner to the left (in the picture) of the front door, paint the entire house a darker colour so that it has presence rather than just floating. Everything to the right seems to be utility - and can read as such. A sensitive landscaping plan will be a huge help.

Terra S. thanked jbtanyderi
  • Terra S.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Interesting. I hadn't considered different treatment of the house & utility portions. that make some sense, it just looks so BIG, and not in a good way, as is.

• houssaon
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I would color block it. Feature the door section and the flat wall next to the door in bright white and the rest of the house in a deep gray blue to compliment the roof.

These are interesting color schemes.

Z House · More Info

Modern & Contemporary Model Home · More Info

E. 8th Street House · More Info

Love this.

Ultra Efficient Green Buildings · More Info

Terra S. thanked houssaon
  • apple_pie_order
    4 years ago

Take an armchair drive with google streetview of any new contemporary style developments near you. See what color combinations they are using. Color blocking (shown by houssaon) would be bold and sophisticated with the right colors.

Terra S. thanked apple_pie_order
  • Terra S.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I've done some driving around and it seems that most of them around here are using an assortment of materials like stone, corrugated steel, wood look siding, etc. SO many ideas but my head is swimming! Colour blocking looks interesting! Bold, yes ... maybe a little intimidating

• Terra S.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Any comments on this for a start?

Sorry for the poor quality, I don't know how to photoshop

• Terra S.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

front view

• skunst2017
    4 years ago

To my eye ..the windows are the problem ..it's a large house and it has these small windows that make it look... Well , it's a problem for me looking at your house . I would first take out the part of the overhang in front that has two beams ...either close the roof or do away with it . It looks strange and doesn't do Anything for the Windows behind. ..I would not paint it grey and white ...in order to make the large left , small windowed part go away I would paint it black . But , if you hide it all together behind a few symmetric line of trees ...I think that would be the easiest solution ...that is , if you like the small windows ...and can't make them larger even huge would be a great improvement to the large wall .

• Pete Global
    4 years ago

I think you should paint the entire house in charcoal grey or black ...or grey and black ...but agree that the Windows are a problem ...windows are very important so , look at span ding them if you can ..especially on the left part of the house . They are just too small for your size house ...here some ideas to make your house look much better ...
    Bigger Windows where you can would add to your house design
    Good luck ..

• apple_pie_order
    4 years ago

Paint color choices need to take into account the local climate and sunlight. That area of BC is gray a lot of the year and the sun is not as bright as farther south. Imagine it's a gray and cloudy day, and you are driving up to your house. Do you want it to blend into the gray clouds? Or do you want to keep it light and bright?

• Terra S.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Expanding the windows is not an option. its not in the budget, nor is it practical. The left side of the house is bedrooms. Top corner windows are for master bath, which is already difficult to place fixtures with the existing windows. Then kids rooms on the level below and spare room in the basement.

I agree that lots of big windows would look awesome, but it doesn't make sense with the interior layout.

We will be addressing landscaping soon, and something tall to break up that wall is definitely in the plans, I'm aware it's an issue

• okibujp
    4 years ago

I love your house! All you need is some paint and landscaping. If you plan on adding siding or stone later, check out https://www.plygem.com/wps/portal/home/ideas-and-learning/inspiration/visualizer. 

• okibujp
    4 years ago

• Terra S.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you! That color is outside my comfort zone but I have to admit it looks good. Love the landscape.
    Husband I went shopping today for a columnar tree to break up the wall of stucco.

• Terra S.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Reviving this post with a couple of updates ... sample colours below (evening and daylight)

• Terra S.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I also was able to track down the original house plans submitted to the city, and from there the house plans online and interestingly, there was never intended to be windows on the left and the whole house was supposed to be cedar clad. There are a few changes (added basement, 14ft patio door in the great room, full sun room in place of the bay window, added main floor powder off the laundry)) but its fun to see the plans!

https://www.familyhomeplans.com/plan_details.cfm?PlanNumber=26500