4 years ago

Wonderful!

• tunatony
    Original Author
    4 years ago

another look...

• nutsforplants
    4 years ago

Nice tunatony, that looks like a keeper!

• tunatony
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Rox and n.f.p
    Hot temps here in San Diego! The plumeria are loving the heat and blooming well....I have another dozen plants set to flower soon.

• rox146
    4 years ago

How very exciting! Cant believe how behind things are here in Ventura. So many inflos still to get even close to opening. Really a late year.

• nutsforplants
    4 years ago

How big / old do seedlings usually need to be before they flower? Can't wait for my seedling babies grow! Although, I'll probably run out of room for them.

• tunatony
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

n.f.p.- good question.
    If I had to pick a size and age I'd say 2.5 to 3 feet tall and 4 years old as a median/average...and that's probably still a tad on the optimistic side. Of course, you have to factor in whether you're growing in a colder shorter season place or a hotter, more tropical longer season place.

If I were to start over I'd grow them fast with something nitrogen heavy, progressively upotting, lots of sun and heat, pots on concrete. Then at 2.5- 3 years of age, put the seedlings on Excalibur from Florida Colors, a time release commercial grade plumeria specific fertilizer. Putting my seedlings on Excalibur last year got me ridiculous bloom rates this year...that seems to be how it works. I used to swear by organic growing for plumeria, but all it got me were bushy green plants and alot of bugs...I'm not growing a salad.

Pictured is a (first year blooming) Rising Sun seedling. I've got three Rising Sun Seedlings blooming... and so it appears, a total of 9 first time bloomers this season!

For what it's worth: I had one bloom at two years, three bloom at 3 years, and now nine bloom at four years.

• jandey1
    4 years ago

Nice veining on this seedling, like mom. Sounds like your seedling bloom rate is excellent.

Your estimate is pretty close to mine: 3-5. Mine always seem to bloom between 3-5 years old but also 3-5’ tall, lol. If I’m lucky I get blooms at 2-3’ tall, from compact parents.

• rox146
    4 years ago

Wow! You guys are all lucky. Some of my 05 seedlings have never bloomed. My 20012 seedlings never. And my 2018 seedlings are 3 inches tall...

• Chris Harkey
    4 years ago

That's great Tony! I'm gonna give seedlings a shot next year. I may start them and try growing them directly in the ground. Anyone had success with this?

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting